Classic Trash discussion

Mama Day
This topic is about Mama Day
Mama Day > Mama Day: Finished

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1016 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have finished the book. Spoil away!

Cheryl | 906 comments I could not finish this book. It just was not holding my attention, for some reason. I probably just wasn't in the mood for a more literary type of book, written in this style. I hope others were able to enjoy it, though.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments I don’t think it really picked up until the last third. I listened to the audiobook with different actors for each narration, so that helped with the weird structure. She does a phenomenal job of pushing the mystical and extraordinary to the background while pulling the characters to the front.

Cheryl | 906 comments I'm glad you liked it, Sarah!

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments Yeah, I put a couple more of her books on my list that are more popular. Interested to see how similar they are.

Adelaide Blair | 1016 comments Mod
Done! I really enjoyed this, but in no way is it trash. It's literary fiction, even though amazon files it away under women's fiction and fantasy. I am guessing that Gloria Naylor's blackness (and femaleness) is what is causing her not to be catalogued where she should be.

GOOD STUFF. I am not a huge fan of magical realism, but this is some solid writing.

Cheryl | 906 comments I agree it is literary fiction. I'm glad you enjoyed it!