Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's July '18

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments The Woman in the Woods: John Connolly
A Charlie Parker novel. I do look forward to these. They are mysteries, but with a touch of the occult tossed in. Parker hunts those that are evil, but are more than just bad people, but are in pursuit of the return of overriding evil to our universe. Here, the basic story was saving the life of little boy whose mother died under mysterious circumstances. It is so much more complicated than that thought. (A)

Her Last Breath: Linda Castillo
Not sure I would want to be Amish in the setting of this book. They seem to be dying in droves. At least it makes for interesting cases in this series with an ex-Amish Chief of Police. (B+)

Brief Cases: Jim Butcher
Short stories, but better then something pushed out just due to the lack of real book to release. Each of the stories explores a character or event that occurred somewhere in the Harry Dresden universe. (B+)

How it Happened: Michael Koryta
A dogged FBI agent, maybe knows all the facts, but between being misled and not understanding them, just cannot close the case. Meanwhile, people continue to die around him, and maybe he does not do so well either. (B)

Soul Survivor: GM Ford
Thanks to the miracle of Kindle Publishing, Leo Waterman is back for another death defying adventure. Here, he takes on a determined Aryan sect, and maybe more than he can handle. (B)

Like to Die: David Housewright
A McKenzie book. Defining a friend of a friend as a friend leads McKenzie to help a woman he really does not know. Turns out she has some bad baggage to gowithher more redeeming features, but the baggage leads to some injury before it leads to a solution. (B)

The Judge Hunter:Christopher Buckley
What can I call this? A historical farce? I guess that works as we as anything. The tale follows a number of intrigues, centered around the colonies before the American revolution, when Charles II seds his “hit men” to avenge the death of his father. (B)

The Girls of Atomic City: Denise Kiernan
The story of the lives of the women, and some men, who labored in secrecy during WW2 to develop the atomic bomb. (B)

Arctic Gambit: Larry Bond
The US and Russia g head to head again,and only a desperate submarine mission can save Europe from a Russian invasion. Great underwater action sequences,if that is your thing.(B)

Hidden Bodies: Caroline Kepnes
Hero kills people he find inconvenient on the way to finding true love. (B-)

I Ripper: Stephen Hunter
Hunter’s take on the Jack the Ripper story. (B-)

Dark Zone: “Clancy”
Even his ghost writers have ghost writers now, this book ghosted by the same guy that did the Gillian Anderson book. I did not think either was particularly well done, and this “techno” was dull and formulaic. (C+)

The Trap: Melanie Raabe
Author writes book to expose her sister’s murderer. Sometimes authors can just be too much in love with their own craft. (dnf)

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Barry, lots of books

message 3: by Ann (last edited Jul 31, 2018 08:15PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Nice month Barry! Plenty of good ones to offset a ghost writer's ghost writer's story. I keep meaning to catch up with the Charlie Parker books and read more Koryta.
So i take it underwater action sequences might be one of your things?! 😊
Barry wrote: "The Woman in the Woods: John Connolly
A Charlie Parker novel. I do look forward to these. They are mysteries, but with a touch of the occult tossed in.

. Great underwater action sequences,if that is your thing.(B)
.."

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Good month. I've looked at Brief Cases, but have read most of the stories in other collections. Been so long since we've had a new Harry Dresden book, I forget what was going on when the last one ended!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Great month Barry! I used to love the Leo Waterman books.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments Ann, I spent a few years on submarines. It is still an interest.

message 7: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1114 comments I don't usually read short stories but, anything Harry gets me.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Barry: Of course!
Barry wrote: "Ann, I spent a few years on submarines. It is still an interest."

message 9: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 203 comments Great list and summary Barry! I like your rating system too.

message 10: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2961 comments You can say that again!

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Barry wrote: "You can say that again!"

<<>> (seltzer water all over my work screen!)

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Barry wrote: "Hidden Bodies: Caroline Kepnes
Hero kills people he find inconvenient on the way to finding true love. (B-)..."

This description was spit-take-worthy!!!