The Crimson Shamrock The Crimson Shamrock discussion

STOP THE SPAM

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (last edited Jul 31, 2018 06:34PM) (new)

Stephen I recently got spammed by the author, or a user with the same name. The person started liking and commenting on every review of "Catch-22" and adding the same cookie-cutter comments to a link to an Amazon.com's Michael Hughes' "Crimson Shamrock." It didn't stop with that book, but if you looked at the user's series of similar behaviors for other books by the same author, it was consistent until Goodreads deleted the user account.

Regardless of what you think of self-promotion, it violates the terms of service here. Regardless of whether you think it's hard for a self-published author and they should promote oneself or if you think it is out of bounds, I'm leaving this here in case this comes up again. I personally don't think this type of behavior should be tolerated. If a book is good, pursue other means of promotion, or it will go viral of its own accord.

I've been on Goodreads for six years now and have seen a sudden uptick of authors (or individuals acting on their behalf) who want to engage in these types of questionable behaviors, so consider this a reference point for those who have or will get unsolicited spam by or on behalf of this author.

Paige Turner He's at it again as of 9/10/18...he spammed over 4000 user reviews (including mine) with a link to buy his book PUMPKIN FARMER on Amazon. Goodreads has been notified by many of us that he is doing it again, yet he is still here. What good is it for Goodreads to have terms of service if they aren't going to enforce it?

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Perhaps start a "Pumpkin Farmer" book discussion with STOP THE SPAM as a subject?

Good Reads has responded to all my spam notifications. The accounts (and comments) have been deleted. I'm not sure what more they can do. Removing the author page entirely is a form of censorship, in my opinion, but we as users can at least bring to other users' attention that particular authors engage in these behaviors. It may serve as a warning not to buy a book from an author, especially if the reviews are negative or potentially over-inflated.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Here is a new book discussion: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Paige Turner I think having an author page on Goodreads is a privilege and if this author is abusing that privilege by constantly spamming other users, even after having been removed once so he created another account to continue doing this to over 4000 users in one day, he no longer deserves this privilege and should be banned from the site. I do not consider that censorship. I consider it the consequence of violating the terms of service....again!

Paige Turner Oh, and there is a discussion on PUMPKIN FARMER, under the ask a question section. Many responses there. You may want to check it out.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita I was apparently spammed yesterday, on one of my reviews, from "Michael" with a link to INLAND INTRIGUE by Michael Hughes. I didn't have time to respond last night, but when I logged in today the comment was already gone. I was trying to think of a nice way to ask him not to spam my reviews. Since it has already been removed, he must have hit more than my page. Though I understand the desire of a writer to promote their work, I dislike spamming and appreciate the policy against it.

message 8: by Mike (new) - rated it 1 star

Mike Joining in the discussion with another voice of annoyance that the author is using spam as his marketing hammer.

I've submitted a one-star review in response both on Goodreads but more importantly on Amazon and encourage others to do the same. Single star reviews have a devastating impact on income on Amazon.

Paige Turner Mike wrote: "Joining in the discussion with another voice of annoyance that the author is using spam as his marketing hammer.

I've submitted a one-star review in response both on Goodreads but more importantl..."

So have I. This guy has been spamming on Goodreads for over a year now and has been reported by many of us, many times. Yet Goodreads allows him to stay, even though this is clearly against their rules. I don't get it.

message 10: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Take heed: Good Reads Powers That Be: So if you don't delete the author, why not delete all reviews and lock any more reviewing and commenting? This will obviously get him to stop.

Just a thought...

message 11: by Mike (new) - rated it 1 star

Mike Not trusting the powers that been to notice this discussion Stephen, I've sent it to them directly. It seems very disappointing that this many people have been complaining for such a long period of time to see no action taken and the same bad behavior by Michael Hughes going unchecked.

My analogy is to when Facebook started going off the rails....slowly at first, then all at once... its what happens when people lose faith in a platform play.

message 12: by Paige (new) - rated it 1 star

Paige Turner Mike wrote: "Not trusting the powers that been to notice this discussion Stephen, I've sent it to them directly. It seems very disappointing that this many people have been complaining for such a long period of..."

I think you are exactly right. Facebook is a cesspool now. They do not moderate the users as per their "Community Standards" at all. It is mainly moderated by the bias of which ever moderator receives the report. The garbage they allow, including racism and violence which supposedly violates their rules, while banning people for literally nothing even close to violating their rules, is unconscionable! I am only there to keep up with my family and friends who I no longer see in person and to play some of their games.

Unfortunately, Goodreads is the same now, as they totally ignore their own terms of service to allow scammers to have author accounts here. They must be getting paid for doing this as the BENJAMMINS matter more to all companies more than anything else and Goodreads is owned by Amazon, who is a master at getting the BENJAMMINS!

Very sad.