Creepy Book Club discussion

Meddling Kids
This topic is about Meddling Kids
Monthly Book Discussions > Meddling Kids (August 2018 Pick) - Post Your Reviews Here!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

NightmareMaven | 256 comments Mod
This thread is for your reviews of our August book, Meddling Kids! Be mindful of spoilers, please!

message 2: by aZuuL (new) - added it

aZuuL | 15 comments Meddling Kids arrived today ! So, for this month I'm in !

aZuuL wrote: "Meddling Kids arrived today ! So, for this month I'm in !"

YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!

Alright, so I finished Meddling Kids!!
**THERE WILL BE SPOILERS AHEAD**
This was definitely more adult than I thought it would be, I thought it was going to be more of a Scooby-Doo spoof. I mean, it WAS one, but I thought they main cast was going to be younger. As a huge fan of Scooby-Doo, I really liked the references to the series.
I also loved the characters and how they subverted some common tropes. Nate is a good example (although his love for nerdy stuff isn't that uncommon) his interest in witchcraft-y type things IS a bit uncommon for a male character, so I liked that. Then of course, we have Kerri being all kinds of smart (but not too smart). Same with Nate, him and Kerri were both capable of making mistakes, which made them seem more real. The same goes for Andy who wasn't always perfect either.
While I appreciated the inclusiveness of the characters (with Andy and Kerri), I kind of wish we had heard more from Andy's point of view. I feel like Nate and Andy dominated the book and it got to a point where I was like, "Alright, I get it, Andy is in love with Kerri." The main problem I had with this is Kerri says earlier on in the book that she "isn't sure she's into girls" which is fine, but if we had gotten more of the dialogue going on in HER head, we could have seen how she realized she was in love with Andy, too.
Also, the ending definitely included a cliffhanger, so I wonder if we'll get a sequel.
Overall, I'l give this a 4/5

Just a reminder: if you want to be included in my video review of this book for my channel, have your review posted by Saturday (for me to read it on camera and react to it) or by Sunday (to have it in the video in general). Of course, take as long as you need to finish and post your review, even if it's after Sunday!
Also, if you want, leave a numeric review (out of 5) on your post, so I can add up our scores and average it for our group page!

Krystal | 13 comments This is the hardest time I've had getting through a book in a while. And not just because I'm busy. I'm 35% and can usually read a book this big in a day but I can't seem to read more than a few pages before the writing style or just boredom lead me to do something different. I'm just to the point that they are back on the island so I expect something will finally happen soon but I read other reviews that say it doesn't get better and that the made up words and writing gets worse. This could be a DNF for me. I really want to finish it since its the first one I've tried for the club but I'm actually dreading this and that's not a good sign. :(

message 6: by aZuuL (last edited Aug 26, 2018 11:25PM) (new) - added it

aZuuL | 15 comments I grew up on Scooby-Doo, The Famous Five,...
The little nods to them are great, like the Zoinx River or Blyton Hills referring to Enid Blyton (author of The Famous Five novels). So, this is my first book in a long, long time. I'm around 50% through Meddling Kids. I really like the premise of this book and its cover, that's shouting grab me ! But the execution in writing, the unravelment of the story, pace, character development... are at times on the hooky side. I thought it began very well, but slips very fast in a kinda boring fashion, until they got to the island ! I also wasn't a fan of the break out part from the insane asylum, it really felt clumsy and unbelievable ! I think that the writer of this book, Edgar Cantero, had some kind of crush on the Scooby-Doo girls or something... if you read the book you know what I'm talking about. So far I'm disappointed in this read, I'll give it 2,5 / 5 (3/5 at best) for now. Still have to finish the second part, maybe my rating will go up !

Melissa (graveyardagogo) | 6 comments Mod
Before I get into the book, Can we talk about the badass cover? Holy Jinkies, it's the best cover I've ever seen.
The book itself wasn't what I was expecting. I found the writing to be a bit weird. It's written as a movie at times. Then goes on like a book. The back and forth of that was annoying.
Kerri, Nate, and Andy were well written characters. But the real stars were Peter and Tim. Peter's ghost/ Nate's hallucination of Peter were my favorite dialogue in the story. Tim the dog... the ScoobyDoo of the book was amazingly interesting for a character who doesn't say much. I like how the author wrote his gestures as if he were talking. Overall I give it a 4/5.

Melissa (graveyardagogo) | 6 comments Mod
Also I forgot to mention... in the book the hospital is in Arkham, Massachusetts. The same hospital as in Reanimater.? Anyone else notice this?

Melissa wrote: "Before I get into the book, Can we talk about the badass cover? Holy Jinkies, it's the best cover I've ever seen.
The book itself wasn't what I was expecting. I found the writing to be a bit weir..."

I totally missed that Re-Animator reference!!! That's awesome and hella good foreshadowing! XD

message 10: by C.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.J. Wright (cjwrightbooks) | 2 comments Finally got to read this. Really enjoyed it. I posted my full review on the book's Goodreads page, but for those who are interested and don't feel like actually reading my review, I'give it a 4/5.

Patrick Kiernan | 1 comments I just read this a couple of weeks ago, I loved the nods to scooby doo. I gave it 5 out of 5 stars

Jamie Zaccaria | 27 comments I read this one a bit ago and absolutely loved it: possibly one of my favorite books I've ever read. It's Scooby-Doo mixed with H.P. Lovecraft and a sprinkle if King's It thrown in. It's funny, dramatic, action-packed, wonderfully written and overall a fantastic read. 5 Stars!

Feather C.  | 6 comments I actually read this because I mistakenly thought it was the August 2019 book but I am so glad I did because it was a super fun read. I didn’t find it scary, which was more a factor of the nostalgia running through it. It may have been a little corny here and there and that is part of its charm. 5 out of 5 for me!

Rebecca Alcazaze | 3 comments I quite enjoyed this. The cover said it was dark and funny and while I found it was neither I did have lots of fun reading it.