What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > PTSD kids

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cara's Craftsations (last edited Jun 06, 2019 05:38AM) (new)

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Kid(s) who are suffering from PTSD symptoms and how they and their family and friends live with and or deal with it.

Never Say Die Alex Rider after the "death" of his guardian Jack Starbright. Alex has been experiencing PTSD-induced flashbacks

Catching Fire Mockingjay Katniss and fellow survivors of the war/hunger games

Gregor the Overlander Gregor after all of his battles

The Last of August (view spoiler)

Girl Against the Universe Maguire was in a car accident with her father and brother where she was the only survivor.

message 2: by Scott (last edited Jul 31, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Scott The Sky So Big and Black (pay no attention to the series number, they are all stand-alone novels that simply take place in a shared continuity)

message 3: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1339 comments It is a big part of the story, but it's not really the focus from memory.

Wind chime cafe

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Paige wrote: "Darkness, Be My Friend"

MJ wrote: "It is a big part of the story, but it's not really the focus from memory.

Wind chime cafe"

Scott wrote: "The Sky So Big and Black (pay no attention to the series number, they are all stand-alone novels that simply take place in a shared continuity)"

Thanks guys.

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige | 599 comments No problem.

If memory serves, Judy Blume wrote a book in which the protagonist deals with PTSD. I don't remember it being mentioned by name, but the symptoms seemed to be there. I think it was Tiger Eyes. It's been a very long time since I last picked up a Judy Blume book though...

I didn't want to mention it before because I was a bit unsure.

message 7: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 275 comments Paige wrote: "No problem.

If memory serves, Judy Blume wrote a book in which the protagonist deals with PTSD. I don't remember it being mentioned by name, but the symptoms seemed to be there. I think it was [bo..."

I agree on Tiger Eyes, she is getting through the death of her father, and it is only slowly revealed how her father died.

message 8: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 275 comments Fiction only?
If non-fiction, there are a bunch by Torey Hayden that are all about her work with kids, many many of whom have PTSD symptoms, if not a formal diagnosis.

message 9: by Cara's Craftsations (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments MJ wrote: "It is a big part of the story, but it's not really the focus from memory.

Wind chime cafe"

This book Wind Chime Café focuses on an adult solider with PTSD. I want kids.

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Hillary wrote: "Paige wrote: "No problem.

If memory serves, Judy Blume wrote a book in which the protagonist deals with PTSD. I don't remember it being mentioned by name, but the symptoms seemed to be there. I th..."

Paige wrote: "No problem.

If memory serves, Judy Blume wrote a book in which the protagonist deals with PTSD. I don't remember it being mentioned by name, but the symptoms seemed to be there. I think it was [bo..."

You two are right I just forgot to add this, thanks.

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Hillary wrote: "Fiction only?
If non-fiction, there are a bunch by Torey Hayden that are all about her work with kids, many many of whom have PTSD symptoms, if not a formal diagnosis."

I don't know if I'm ready to handle true stories yet. I already feel bad for these fictional characters.

message 12: by Rosa (new)

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Thx

message 14: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 275 comments Cara's Craftastic Creations wrote: "Hillary wrote: "Fiction only?
If non-fiction, there are a bunch by Torey Hayden that are all about her work with kids, many many of whom have PTSD symptoms, if not a formal diagno..."

In which case, don't read Torey Hayden!

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Post Traumatic Bump*

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments So Much to Tell You - don't think the main character is officially diagnosed as having PTSD but seems likely.

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Rachel wrote: "So Much to Tell You - don't think the main character is officially diagnosed as having PTSD but seems likely."

Thank you.

Bryn (Plus Others) (brynplusplus) | 186 comments The Sea of Tranquility is teens and has tons of this.

The Accident Season -- I know it does not look like it on the cover, it looks like a fantasy, but it is really about a family with lots PTSD.

Both of these books have a lot of people/family not dealing well with the situation before it comes around to coping with it, so if you are after something cosier they might not be for you.

message 19: by Cara's Craftsations (last edited May 24, 2019 03:47PM) (new)

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Bryn (Plus Others) wrote: "The Sea of Tranquility is teens and has tons of this.

The Accident Season -- I know it does not look like it on the cover, it looks like a fantasy, but it is really..."

They sound good thank you.

Bryn (Plus Others) (brynplusplus) | 186 comments Oooh, I just posted this in another thread, but When the Moon Was Ours? It is YA magical realism with two protagonists, one of whom has serious PTSD which is explored both in realistic ways (flashbacks, intrusive memories) and also through the magical realist lens. It was very good.

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Bryn (Plus Others) wrote: "Oooh, I just posted this in another thread, but When the Moon Was Ours? It is YA magical realism with two protagonists, one of whom has serious PTSD which is explored both in realis..."

Thank you.

message 22: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 241 comments Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Just be aware that there is potentially triggering content in the story (that I won't go into here due to spoilers.) Also, I think that some of the later books in the Hatchet series by Gary Paulsen deals with PTSD.

message 23: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4984 comments I know CC has read Speak, but she likes putting all the books that match a theme on her threads, whether she's read them or not.

message 24: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 22 comments The Things a Brother Knows It mainly focuses on 2 brothers and the elder had PTSD

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Chloe wrote: "The Things a Brother Knows It mainly focuses on 2 brothers and the elder had PTSD"

Thank you.

message 27: by Squirrel (new)

Squirrel | 7 comments The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin (YA); this isn't really too sentered on her trauma, but she is diagnosed with PTSD. However, her disorder is overshadowed by other weird things going on in her head.
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass (YA); It isn't stated outright that the heroine has PTSD, but it is heavily implied, and all the evidence is there if you just think about it.

Cara's Craftsations | 1630 comments Squirrel wrote: "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin (YA); this isn't really too sentered on her trauma, but she is diagnosed with PTSD. However, her disorder is overshadowed by other weird things going ..."

You're right. Thank you.