Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > One of Ours - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5978 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!

message 2: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I finished this book over the weekend. Sadly I didn't enjoy it as much as My Ántonia and O Pioneers!. Don't get me wrong, Willa Cather writing is fabulous! Her descriptions of farm life, etc., is captivating but this book just moved too slowly for me and at times, I was just bored. Three stars.

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments I have read about 50 pages and this book hasn't grabbed me the way O Pioneers or A Lost Lady did, and yet this book won the prize.

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments Mr. Wheeler is one of most self-centred fathers and husband as well.
Claude feels he is misunderstood, not without reason.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments I have finished part 2. Enid is incredibly annoying. I can think of a word to describe her, but it isn't very nice.

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I have read about 50 pages and this book hasn't grabbed me the way O Pioneers or A Lost Lady did, and yet this book won the prize."

I know Rosemarie! I don't know how it won!

message 7: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I have finished part 2. Enid is incredibly annoying. I can think of a word to describe her, but it isn't very nice."

😂🤣

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Thanks for reading this book Rosemarie. It's good to have someone share their thoughts! 😊

message 9: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments I am now in part 5 and the characters are not fleshed out. As well, the writing is pretty boring and I can't wait to finish. There are so many characters and I can't say that I really know any of them, including Claude.
I enjoyed The Lost Lady much more than this one because the characters were fleshed out and the plot was much more focussed.

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I am now in part 5 and the characters are not fleshed out. As well, the writing is pretty boring and I can't wait to finish. There are so many characters and I can't say that I really know any of t..."

Did you ever read Death Comes for the Archbishop Rosemarie?

And yes. I couldn't wait to be finished!

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1551 comments Not yet, Loretta. Is it better than this one?

message 12: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "Not yet, Loretta. Is it better than this one?"

I haven't read it either Rosemarie although I have it. On my bookshelf, 😏.

message 13: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I agree that this one is not one of the best by Cather. I have read several of her other books and loved them. I really loved Death Comes for the Archbishop

message 14: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

That's one I haven't read yet Tracey but it is on my TBRL. Thanks for your resounding recommendation! 😊