Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > The Sound of Waves - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5954 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 409 comments I was able to get started on the book yesterday. It's slow, but peaceful, almost idyllic. With Mishima, it makes me pretty sure there is some tragedy up ahead. I like it, but it's not going to appeal much to those who are looking for a lot of bang in their books

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 409 comments I finished this morning. I don't know if anyone is planning on reading this--I thought it was excellent. What I said up above in my last post held true for the entire book--not a lot of action--but I found something about it to be engrossing. The ending too was pitch perfect, though I won't say anything more about it other than it reminded me of the kind of endings you find in short stories. I hope a few others give it a try.

message 4: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

As I figured, my library didn't have the book, so I asked for a inner library loan. Fingers crossed as usual.

message 5: by John (new)

John I'm only on chapter 5, but I can tell that this is very different from The Temple of the Golden Pavilion. That book was more dense and psychological. This, to me, seems more like a Steinbeck novel, which is no complaint from me.

Bryan, I agree with your description of idyllic.

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I finished the book this morning. It was an endearing love story, as I said in my short review. The book really reminded me of Romeo and Juliet, although this book had a happy ending. ☺️ Four stars.

I thank Bryan for nominating the book which I probably wouldn't have picked up myself!! 😊

message 7: by Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (last edited Sep 19, 2018 06:52AM) (new)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 409 comments Well, I'm just glad you liked it, after I'd went on and on about it. I thought what really made it interesting were the final lines, about how ultimately, even though they were rather innocent and charming, they actually looked at the world much differently from one another. I thought Mishima was trying to say something about the fundamental differences between masculine and feminine viewpoints. Because everything had been so idyllic up to that point, the end came as a surprise to me, which is what made me think about it longer

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Bryan wrote: "Well, I'm just glad you liked it, after I'd went on and on about it. I thought what really made it interesting were the final lines, about how ultimately, even though they were rather innocent and ..."

Well, all people really view the world differently, which is a good thing! 😊

Really Bryan. Thanks for the nomination! I really enjoyed the book and I'm still thinking about it even after I've read it which is always a sign of a good book for me!

message 9: by John (new)

John I was really surprised with this book, and actually surprised with Mishima's talent too. The writing is completely different when compared to The Temple of the Golden Pavilion.

I recognize in Shinji some of what I remember reading on Mishima's views of masculinity: confidence, simplicity, honor, always doing your best, and physical strength and prowess.

I found the typhoon scene inspiring. Shinji had a fear of the unknown. He had never left Uta-Jima. Yet here he is diving into a stormy ocean, which has since antiquity been used as a symbol of the unknown, and relying on his swimming strength, finishes a job that others were cowering from. He really just saw it as another task that needed to be done.

Not only was it inspiring, but I found it interesting in that it paralleled a podcast I recently listened to on making your life more meaningful. Even the smallest, mundane, routine events of our lives we should look at and approach as a chance to prove that we have a purpose in completing that job to the best of our ability. Maybe not proving to others, but to ourselves. Always be willing to give everything you have to what you are doing.

Shinji did, and in doing so he won Hatsue's hand, a better life for his family, and a father in-law who respects him, not for his money and position, but for his personal qualities.

Cultivate your "get-up-and-go"!

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

John wrote: "I was really surprised with this book, and actually surprised with Mishima's talent too. The writing is completely different when compared to The Temple of the Golden Pavilion.

I recognize in Shi..."

Excellent review John! Thanks for reading the book and sharing your thoughts/comments/review. 😏