Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Mr. Darcy Vampyre

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hulst (KimberlyHulst) | 76 comments Forgive me if the thread has been started.

I have been trying to get my hands on a copy for weeks but it has yet to arrive at the Chapters/Coles books stores here. And as far as ordering it online, they say it's sold out.

Has anyone found a copy?

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 23 comments I found a copy at Barnes and Noble back when it first came out. Do you have one near you?

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hulst (KimberlyHulst) | 76 comments No. Canada has Chapters.

message 4: by Misty (new)

Misty | 37 comments I almost bought a copy of this the other day. They had it at a local supermarket (Meijer) here in Michigan...

Christy (TheReaderBee) (thereaderbee) | 23 comments Kimberly wrote: "No. Canada has Chapters.
"

Oh, sorry!

message 6: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I just saw a copy at Walmart in my city, but they may not be in Canada.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hulst (KimberlyHulst) | 76 comments Walmart?
I will have to call there in the morning. Thanks

message 8: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Sure, hope you find it.

message 9: by Annie (new)

Annie (smallbookblogger) | 11 comments Just got this book and am going to start reading it today... should be interesting.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Hulst (KimberlyHulst) | 76 comments I have one on hold. LOL The book store was suppose to get their shipment in yesterday but it did not come in. So by this weekend I should have it. So no spoilers please

message 11: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I saw the book today when I was at Indigo, dunno if I'm going to check it out or not (the cover looks very nifty though); maybe I'll wait and read everyone's feedback before I decide to pick it up or not xD

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie (smallbookblogger) | 11 comments I just finished reading the novel and here are my 1st impressions:

I felt like Jane Austen decided to get together with Anne Radcliffe and together they wrote this sequel to Pride and Prejudice.

I enjoyed this version because it had mystery with a touch of the classic gothic genre. I liked that I knew Elizabeth and Darcy from P&P because I felt that knowing them made the book more enjoyable and that I knew why they said or did what they said or did. This was truly helpful, because as the reader, you know that Darcy is a vampire, however, it’s the mystery in the novel. Many books I have read similar to this I get annoyed with the role Elizabeth would play, but in this, because we were “already friends” I found myself trying/being able to see through Elizabeth’s or Darcy’s eyes. Also, it was realistic with them, in this continuation, because as they were traveling on their honeymoon they would recall things from P&P but it wasn’t redundant storytelling or a vain attempt by Grange to tie the books together. It worked. Darcy and Elizabeth were telling the new people they met their story or sharing memories.

I was a little scared that it would be like one of those scary movies or thrillers that you are really enjoying and you are nearing the big reveal and then they show you the monster or alien and it is SUCH a letdown that you either want to turn the movie off or never see it again. I ended up liking how Grange put everything together. I also appreciate, as it was written for the time period and with the gothic of the era in mind, that she reverted back to your classic vamp and not “today’s vamps.”

I would also like to add, and not spoil; that her character development of Lady Catherine de Bourgh was grand. It made me smile and give a silent round of applause.

message 13: by Micki (new)

Micki (inxstr31) | 6 comments Thanks to this post, I had no idea this book was out and just by chance when I was in B.J.'s yesterday I saw it and grabbed it before my husband could make a comment. According to him I have waaayyyy too many books. I am looking forward to the read. Thanks everyone!!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Just checked it out of the library today! Hopefully I will enjoy it.