Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > The Sound of Waves - Non-Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3971 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

message 2: by John (new)

John Is anybody reading this one? (I would be reading it but decided to read The Brothers Karamazov, a Christmas present first.) I read Yukio Mishima's The Temple of the Golden Pavilion earlier this year. I enjoyed it although I "felt distant" with it. Already getting urges to read it again.

Just wanted to know what other people thought of Mishima.

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

John wrote: "Is anybody reading this one? (I would be reading it but decided to read The Brothers Karamazov, a Christmas present first.) I read Yukio Mishima's [book:The Temple of the..."

I'm going to see if my library has this book (always a challenge!). If they do, I'll be giving it a whirl John.

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn I plan to read this book later in the month or maybe into September.

message 5: by John (new)

John Marilyn wrote: "I plan to read this book later in the month or maybe into September."

My library has a copy, but I'm not sure if I'll finish TBK before the end of August. I am interested in reading this though.

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

No worries Marilyn and John. Threads will always be open and when you comment I'll reply and add my two cents, if I get lucky and my library finds me a copy! I'm sure other members will also make comments and have discussions with both of you. 😊

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 275 comments I believe I nominated this one, so I'll be in, but it won't be for a few more days.

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Bryan wrote: "I believe I nominated this one, so I'll be in, but it won't be for a few more days."

No problem Bryan.

message 9: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Dee ~ Chillin’ Out wrote: "I love this book, I really do. No spoilers, promise! It is just so light, beautiful, and so innocent. A real change from crime (which I don’t usually read), and the violence! I do enjoy Asian stori..."

I've read The Good Earth and enjoyed it to a point. Felt the book was too long and had a tendency to keep repeating itself. Three stars. I never read Memoirs of a Geisha although I do own a copy.

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2018 07:18PM) (new)

Yippee! My library came through with a copy! Now, based on member Bryan's glowing comments and review, I can't wait to get started! 😊

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 275 comments Oh geez--I hope you like it as much as I did!

message 12: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Bryan wrote: "Oh geez--I hope you like it as much as I did!"

Lol! Bryan! It's all good!

message 13: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Just read the first three chapters. Definitely beautiful writing and a delightful story so far.

message 14: by John (new)

John Loretta wrote: "Just read the first three chapters. Definitely beautiful writing and a delightful story so far."

I just requested the copy from my library, so I should be starting it by the end of the week.

message 15: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

John wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Just read the first three chapters. Definitely beautiful writing and a delightful story so far."

I just requested the copy from my library, so I should be starting it by the end of..."

Great John! Looking forward to your thoughts....