message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1679 comments Mod
This will be our Completest Group Read for August 2018

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

This book starts today!

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wow - fascinating from the very beginning!

Jessica | 109 comments I won't be joining you in the reading, but know that indeed it is a very fascinating story! You might be in for some interesting discussions on (medical) ethics.

Glenda | 61 comments I started this last night and had to force myself to put it down around 1 am...wow is right!

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

I work in healthcare and feel like a lot of our current policies are a result of the story in this book.

Jessica | 109 comments That's interesting Matthew, I also work in health care. Mostly research. And indeed whenever I curse the monitoring board for yet another very strict interpretation that makes me write yet another protocol ... I remind myself of the Hela cells and bear it.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica wrote: "That's interesting Matthew, I also work in health care. Mostly research. And indeed whenever I curse the monitoring board for yet another very strict interpretation that makes me write yet another ..."

HA! When they started talking about HIPAA, I was like "Yup, sounds about right!" Also, knowing what I know of current policies, I was quite shocked about the apathy regarding consent early on.

Glenda | 61 comments I'm pretty stingy when it comes to giving 5 stars to any book, but I really think this one deserves it. I don't have much experience with the medical field, but this story had me thinking about those few times I did sign "consent" forms at hospitals, all were when I was either under extreme duress or drugged......hmmm, wonder what I signed away......
I'm still putting my thoughts together on this one, looking forward to everyone's input.

message 10: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glenda wrote: "I'm pretty stingy when it comes to giving 5 stars to any book, but I really think this one deserves it. I don't have much experience with the medical field, but this story had me thinking about tho..."

It got me thinking the same thing about consent - I mention in my review that I recently had surgery where tissue was removed. Wonder where that might be now and what they are using it for!?

message 11: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished today and thought it was pretty good!

Click here for my review

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments Just started this - will keep you posted!

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments Finished the book (a while ago). Enjoyed it a lot and learned a lot. I love that this book club gets to read books I might not have read (esp. if recommended by Oprah LOL). Both a great story and compassionate - as well as a compelling scientific history involving discovery, racism and changing attitudes towards consent