Must Love Dogs book group discussion

Dog Medicine
This topic is about Dog Medicine
August book

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cara Achterberg (caraachterberg) | 19 comments Mod
Okay, people - even though we are still quite the fledgling group - I say we keep plugging away. Please feel free to invite people to join us. I'm still pretty unsure of how you publicize your group to gain members, so help me out if you can.

I'm going to move us forward and pick another book. We will read during August and discuss during September and hopefully connect with the author of this book. disclaimer: I know nothing about this book except that Cheryl Strayed recommended it, but it gets excellent reviews, so without further ado:

Dog Medicine: How My Dog Saved Me from Myself by Julie Barton

Read on my dog-hearted friends! (and spread the word!)

Gina Moltz | 14 comments Was that in the survey? Looks interesting!

Gena - My Book Reviews for You | 7 comments Okay I'm in for reading this book!

Gina Moltz | 14 comments I just ordered! My library failed me again!

Gina wrote: "Was that in the survey? Looks interesting!"

I think it was - but I can't find the survey now - I'm so horrible at this goodreads thing (or they don't make it very user friendly!). I figured if people voted, I would get some kind of notification, but that didn't happen. URGH.

Gina Moltz | 14 comments No worries!!

message 7: by Nichole (new)

Nichole Terry | 1 comments I'm in for this book as well. Care to share info about our puppers? I have two rescues, Jax and Rosie. Jax is 2.5 and Rosie is 7 mo. He is a Beagle/lancashire heeler mix and Rosie is a Boxer/Pug/terrier (maybe) mix. She is a handful, must be the terrier in her. Jax just wants to investigate, smell, and nap. Rosie wan't to run the Boston Marathon while playing and doing an obstacle course, as soon as she wakes up until she goes to bed, of course.

Nichole wrote: "I'm in for this book as well. Care to share info about our puppers? I have two rescues, Jax and Rosie. Jax is 2.5 and Rosie is 7 mo. He is a Beagle/lancashire heeler mix and Rosie is a Boxer/Pug/te..."

That's funny - such opposites, but probably they balance each other out. Beagle and heeler - what a fun combo. The terriers we've fostered have all had an intensity that is exciting but sometimes exhausting too!

Gina Moltz | 14 comments I am dog free, sadly. But have a large cat who thinks he is a dog. Luckily, I get to visit Cara whenever I need a dog fix!

message 10: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'd love to hear about everyone's pups! I have two of my own (plus a regular changing cast of foster dogs). Gracie is a hound mix who is really just an awkward, sweet, not-so-bright soul. I call her 'the kids' dog'. She is afraid of most everything and spends her days barking at the neighbors. Frankie is my 'foster fail' - an American Staffordshire Terrier with blue eyes and a gorgeous golden coat. I love him terribly, but he is currently in the teenage time (15 months old), so he's grown leery of strangers and needs to be managed. He loves other dogs, though, especially puppies and is my best assistant when it comes to the foster dogs. He recently earned his Canine Good Citizenship certification!

message 11: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina Moltz | 14 comments I have started this book. Depression is depressing! It is interesting to see how families dealt with depression in the 1990s. I can’t wait for her to get her dog!

message 12: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina wrote: "I have started this book. Depression is depressing! It is interesting to see how families dealt with depression in the 1990s. I can’t wait for her to get her dog!"

It's interesting to me how she's paralleling the puppy's journey - only I don't think the puppy would be the least bit depressed. I have yet to meet a depressed puppy. Also, kind of bummed that she didn't rescue.

message 13: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina Moltz | 14 comments Definitely bummed she didn’t rescue. And the book took off for me once she did get Bunker!!

Gena - My Book Reviews for You | 7 comments I ordered a copy from Thrift Books and just got it. So I will be reading soon!