Play Book Tag discussion

The Overstory
This topic is about The Overstory
Archive: Other Books > The Overstory by Richard Powers- 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (last edited Jul 31, 2018 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments 4.5 stars, rounded down.
What I loved: the trees as main characters in this story. I loved the language, the flow of the story, the plot, and the characters.
That first chapter grabbed me, because I’m from Iowa, and see farms with one giant tree that was planted on homesteading. It’s an arresting sight.
Actually, the first part was a great read- all the backgrounds of the main players were fascinating and told so well. Parts 2, 3 and 4- when the characters start to converge, was also fantastic- albeit a bit frustrating with the naïveté of a few of them.
I have read one other Powers novel, and loved his writing in it, too (The Echo Maker-also with environmental notes). I really felt, at one point, that the trees were the storytellers.
What missed for me: I felt like he took some liberties with details about some of the science and the law. I also felt one of the character’s storyline could have been left out.
All in all, a great book. I’m off to find more from this author!

Susie | 4488 comments Great to hear this one was a hit for you Tracy. I’m looking forward to reading it.

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I think you'll like this one. There's a lot to think about.
I don't think it will win, but probably will make the shortlist. There's no way they'll choose three US authors in a row- it would cause a riot in the UK!

Susie | 4488 comments Wouldn’t it just? I’ve seen so many comments from English people saying that they refuse to read any of the American titles. So juvenile!

message 5: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7692 comments Liberties with science AND the law?! The two things I have advanced degrees in!! Hmmm....inaccuracies in those two areas really drive me nuts...

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I can’t really go into detail, because it would be a major spoiler, but if you read the book, you could tell me if I’m right or wrong...