Great African Reads discussion

Woman at Point Zero
This topic is about Woman at Point Zero
Archived | Regional Books 2018 > Sept/Oct 2018 | Woman at Point Zero, by Nawal El-Saadawi SPOILERS ALLOWED

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (last edited Jul 31, 2018 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anetq | 709 comments Mod
This thread is for our Sept/Oct 2018 read Woman at Point Zero, by Nawal El-Saadawi SPOILERS ALLOWED
(Find the no-spoiler thread here)

message 2: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anetq | 709 comments Mod
This group has read the book before in 2010 as part of the Tour D'Afrique for Egypt - If you want to have a look at the old discussion - it can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

George P. | 189 comments I finished Woman at Point Zero a few days ago. I thought it was a very powerful piece of short literature and am glad I read it. The expressions of frustration by the main character at her treatment in society were quite moving at times. Very thought-provoking to hear her say that a prostitute has more freedom than most other women.

message 4: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 681 comments Mod
It indeed is a powerful read, some sort of pamphlet against patriarchy and gender based violence, but it is also poetic and beautifully written, with well chosen repetitions. I really liked it, even though it is a sad and hard story too.

Even the freedom as an independent prostitute happened to be an illusion, as prostitution is controlled by powerful men. It says a lot about society when a prostitute can feel more freedom than other girls and women...

message 5: by Wim, French Readings (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wim | 681 comments Mod
I just went through the extensive 2010 discussion on this book (thanks for the link Anetq!). Interesting to read.

Just adding that while reading the book, it made me think of Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

message 6: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anetq | 709 comments Mod
I read this just ahead of it being elected for the monthly read, and really liked it. From my thoughts at the time:

The storyline may say that she is a awaiting death because she killed a pimp - but she is really sentenced to death for not fearing men, and not letting men rule her. And that is scarier than anything. Because women is not supposed to consider herself equal to men. But after working as a respectable woman, Firdaus realises that she has more power as a prostitute, so she goes back to being free. And that is a dangerous woman.

message 7: by George P. (last edited Oct 20, 2018 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

George P. | 189 comments Wim wrote: "....Just adding that while reading the book, it made me think of Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. ..."

I've read that and saw strong similarities too, Wim.
Hirsi Ali is a real woman though, and was successful in escaping her cultural imprisonment, but has had to go undercover due to death threats for her outspoken criticism of Islam's treatment of women.
Sad that we didn't get more participation on this significant little book!

Austin Bryla (smoothvanillavirgo) | 9 comments I agree that the powerful element of this book when I read it was the narrative of her work as a means of voice and power, reminds me a lot of the book "Nervous Conditions" in the manner of patriarchal elements manifesting into complex realities that are displayed in the narrative.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Infidel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ayaan Hirsi Ali (other topics)