Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Randi's July Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randi (last edited Jul 31, 2018 09:11AM) (new)

Randi Got through 7 full books this month, but out of those 7, most of them were REALLY good!

Darktown
I really enjoyed this book. It tells a story about the first black police officers in Atlanta in the late 40's. There is tension and mystery all wrapped up in a well told story. Looking forward to reading Lightning Men soon.

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer
If you are interested in the mysteries behind serial killers and what makes them tick, this is a great book. Sometimes these true crime books can be a bit stuffy, but Michelle McNamara did an incredible job with this book. The amount of research and obsession that went into this book is amazing.

The Nightmare
Another great book by Kepler. I liked it even better than The Hypnotist. Can probably be read as a standalone (it is the 2nd in a series).

The Perfect Mother
I was expecting a little more out of this book by the hype that surrounded it, so it was a little less exciting than I had hoped. It was still a good story, just wasn't as "thrilling" as advertised.

Caraval
Another YA book that was so good! It was easy to read, well told, and I can't wait to read Legendary.

The Shadow District
This was one of the slower books I read this month. I don't know if I will continue with this series (this is the first of three, I believe). It was only OK and with a gigantic reading list, I am certain I can find a few more exciting books to read before continuing with these.

Still Mine
This was an easy, quick read for me. Again, not one of the most thrilling on the list, but it did keep my attention and I wanted to get to the end to figure everything out.

Still Water
I grabbed this one at the library before seeing Still Mine.. long story short, I am reading them back to back because I just can't read books out of order when they are in a series! Just starting this one. Will update in the comments once I get through it if anyone is interested.

message 2: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Randi mentioned: "...I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer"

I read this one earlier this year. In fact I was reading it just as the police caught up with GSK decades after his crimes. I was interested for the same reasons you mentioned: McNamara's obsession and research. Now I'm hoping someone will write about how closely her suppositions matched the real GSK.

message 3: by Randi (new)

Randi OMalleycat wrote: I read this one earlier this year. In fact I was reading it just as the pol..."

YES! that would be so awesome!

message 4: by Melodie (last edited Jul 31, 2018 10:49AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Randi wrote: "I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer"

I also read this one a few months ago. I had it in my cart at Amazon for awhile and went ahead and bought it when they caught the guy. Great book, but I can't imagine being so obsessed and immersed in such a dark subject!

message 5: by Randi (new)

Randi Melodie wrote: I also read this one a few months ago. I had it in my cart at Amazon for awhile an..."

I can see how it would be so easy to get caught up in it all though! How does someone not get caught for 40+ years?!

message 6: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Melodie wrote: re: I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer "Great book, but I can't imagine being so obsessed and immersed in such a Dark subject!"

I'm big on research and detail, but I truly can't imagine doing everything McNamara was trying to do. Every similar crime committed during and after GSK's run; triangulating to figure out the geographical parameters of his crimes, then researching everyone who lived in those areas and where they are now; running down and double-checking everything the previous detectives had done. McNamara's obsession helped me understand other investigators often having that one case they can't let go.The feeling that if you just did one more thing, found one more lead, had one more idea, you could finally have a solution.

message 7: by Ann (last edited Jul 31, 2018 09:47PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Randi: nice month! I've got
I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer lined up and also enjoyed discussing Darktown with the group.
Randi wrote: "Got through 7 full books this month, but out of those 7, most of them were REALLY good!

Darktown
I really enjoyed this book. It tells a story about the first black police officers ..."

message 8: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments I'll Be Gone n The Dark is a must read for me!

message 9: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14402 comments Ceelee I really enjoyed it! The audio had an interview at the end with her husband. It was interesting (and a bit sad) to realize what they had to do to finish the book after the author's death.
Randi: It was as if they kept her obsession going out of love for her. I liked that. What a case.
Ceelee wrote: "I'll Be Gone n The Dark is a must read for me!"

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Ceelee wrote: "I'll Be Gone n The Dark is a must read for me!"

Excellent book!

message 11: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ceelee wrote: "I'll Be Gone n The Dark is a must read for me!"
I'm with everyone else here. Yes, you MUST read it!