Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Games/Quizzes > August 2018 -- Book Title Hangman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 194 (194 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by AlegnaB † (last edited Aug 13, 2018 05:22AM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Our first game will be Book Title Hangman. I'll start the game in a following post, and we'll play it as follows:

Anyone can make the first guess. The puzzle maker will let us know if it's correct.

If it's correct, the person who guessed correctly gets to choose another letter or guess the title. If the one who got it correct doesn't respond within X 24 hours, someone else can make a guess. Whoever guesses correctly gets to post the next puzzle.

If it's wrong, the puzzle creator will state what body part is added, in this order: head, torso, left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg. The creator will also post the letters already used, listing them alphabetically. Then someone else gets to make a guess. If nobody solves it, the person who posted that puzzle gets to post another.

I suggest using an underscore for each letter, with a space between each letter and space slash space between each word; plus, put in parentheses the letter count for each word. I think that will work well whichever way a member is viewing the page. Example:

_ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ (3,4,5)

_ _ E / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ E (3,4,5)

Let me know what your thoughts are on how to play this. How many hours do you want to wait for another guess from the one who got it correct? Perhaps you'd prefer we let anyone make the next guess so we don't have to wait around. We may need to change some rules as we play if things aren't going well.

Thanks for the game suggestion, Andrea!

Edit: I'm adding the book titles we've used. If you notice that I've missed any, please let me know. I'm including articles (a, an, the) when I alphabetize, instead of ignoring them, even though it's the wrong way to do it. It just makes it easier to look down the list, especially since you know what the correct article is if the title has one, because you're including it in the puzzle.

Titles Used

A Beauty So Rare
Chocolate Beach
Freefall
The Cost of Betrayal
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
Things I Never Told You

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments I'd think a day or two would be a reasonable amount of time to wait before making another guess. Looks like fun!

message 3: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 2028 comments Mod
Well done on creating clear instructions, Alegna. I'm excited about this.

message 4: by AlegnaB † (last edited Jul 31, 2018 09:11AM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Andrea wrote: "Well done on creating clear instructions, Alegna. I'm excited about this."

Thanks, Andrea. I'm looking forward to this game. I don't recall playing it before -- well, not hangman here at our group. I've played many a game of hangman in my lifetime. :-)

Hannah wrote: "I'd think a day or two would be a reasonable amount of time to wait before making another guess. Looks like fun!"

I was thinking 24 hours and had actually put that at first, but I didn't know if y'all would think that was too long.

message 5: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Is that too long? Only one person can play per day at that rate, possibly. Should we do a 3-4 hour window?

message 6: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments I know I sometimes get impatient when I’m having fun playing a game and waiting for someone else to respond. That’s why I wanted input from others. The game can easily stall if someone doesn’t check back in within a short time, but I also don’t want to keep someone from having the opportunity to guess a title when they’re earned that opportunity.

message 7: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

That's understandable, definitely. If it stalls out, we can adjust things at that time. Go with what time seems fair to you, Alegna.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments 3-4 hours does seem a bit short as we have some international members who might like to play but wouldn't be able to lead a game while sleeping. :)

message 9: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Hannah wrote: "3-4 hours does seem a bit short as we have some international members who might like to play but wouldn't be able to lead a game while sleeping. :)"

Yeah, I was thinking of Sarita, who lives in South Africa.

If we're enjoying the game but don't get to do a lot of puzzles before the end of the month because it's going rather slowly, we can always continue it for as long as members want to play, as we do with other popular games.

message 10: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

True. I'm not as familiar with the games yet, as I've only done a few, so I am uncertain about the time frame. I think it's a great idea to try that 24-hours thing and see how it goes. Wonderful consideration, gals!

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine | 423 comments This should be fun!

message 12: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments First puzzle:

_ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ / _ _ _ _ (1, 6, 2, 4)

message 13: by Christine (new)

Christine | 423 comments The letter a?

message 14: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 2662 comments Mod
I'm going to chime in just so I get a chance to see what's happening.

message 15: by AlegnaB † (last edited Aug 01, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Christine wrote: "The letter a?"

Oops! I apologize. I didn’t see this thread rise to the top section due to a new comment, even though I’ve been off and on the site and checking for new comments all day. I’m going to set this thread to notify me. I’ve already learned my first lesson. 😄

A / _ _ A _ _ _ / _ _ / _ A _ _ (1, 6, 2, 4)

Letters used: A

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments The letter T?

message 17: by AlegnaB † (last edited Aug 01, 2018 02:03PM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Hannah wrote: "The letter T?"

Christine is supposed to guess since she guessed correctly. Let’s see how it goes for 2-3 days, and if that’s not working well, we’ll change the rules to allow anyone to guess the next letter. Or would y’all like to just change that rule now? It would move along faster that way.

Perhaps all participants should set this thread to send notification when there’s a response.

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments Oh, okay! I've not played it that way and missed that part of the rules. Sorry!

message 19: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Hannah wrote: "Oh, okay! I've not played it that way and missed that part of the rules. Sorry!"

Has it been played in this group in the past? I didn’t pull the rules from anywhere, and I don’t think I’ve played multi-player before, so I just made them up, going from how I remember playing 2-player hangman.

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments No, not here. :) I've done it in a group setting in person before.

message 21: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 2662 comments Mod
Try it this way. If it seems too slow, then open it up to anyone calling a letter.

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine | 423 comments I've never played this online either. So..the letter t?

message 23: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments A / _ _ A _ T _ / _ _ / _ A _ _ (1, 6, 2, 4)

Letters used: A, T

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine | 423 comments Is there a d?

message 25: by AlegnaB † (last edited Aug 02, 2018 05:13AM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments No D. I added to the rules, to tell what to do when someone guesses wrong: “Then someone else gets to make a guess.”

A / _ _ A _ T _ / _ _ / _ A _ _ (1, 6, 2, 4)

Letters used: A, D, T

Body part: head

message 26: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 371 comments How about i?

message 27: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments No i.

Letters used: A, D, I, T

Body parts: head, torso

message 28: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments How about H?

message 29: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments No H.

Letters used: A, D, H, I, T

Body parts: head, torso, left arm

message 30: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 371 comments O?

message 31: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Yes.

A / _ _ A _ T _ / _ O / _ A _ _ (1, 6, 2, 4)

Letters used: A, D, H, I, O, T

Body parts: head, torso, left arm

Guess again, Caroline.

message 32: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 371 comments A BEAUTY SO RARE

message 33: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Caroline wrote: "A BEAUTY SO RARE"

Congratulations! I loved that book. Your turn to post a puzzle.

message 34: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 371 comments I loved that book too.

Oooh, this game is so addictive!! Going to post the next puzzle...

message 35: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 371 comments _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (3, 8, 8, 3, 6, 3, 7)

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments E?

message 37: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 371 comments Yes!

_ _ E / _ _ E _ _ _ E _ / _ _ _ E _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ / _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ E E _ / _ _ E / _ _ _ _ E _ _ (3, 8, 8, 3, 6, 3, 7)

Letters used: E

Hannah, next guess?

message 38: by AlegnaB † (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:49AM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Caroline wrote: "...Oooh, this game is so addictive!!..."

Anybody want a Hangman 2 thread to play at the same time? 😄 The moderators probably wouldn’t like my flooding the boards with games, though.

message 39: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 335 comments Yes! Every time I check in i miss my opportunity to chime in :(

message 40: by Hannah (last edited Aug 02, 2018 08:09AM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments A?
(Sorry, I didn't get a notification until Charlene commented)

message 41: by Caroline (new)

_ _ E / _ _ E _ _ _ E _ / _ _ _ E _ A _ _ / A _ _ / _ _ _ A _ _ / _ E E _ / _ _ E / _ _ _ _ E _ _ (3, 8, 8, 3, 6, 3, 7)

Letters used: E, A

(Lesson learnt: on cellphone, do NOT use long titles for hangman)

Hannah, next guess?

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments Haha...oops!

T?

message 43: by Caroline (new)

T _ E / _ _ E _ _ _ E _ / _ _ T E _ A _ _ / A _ _ / _ _ T _ T _ / _ E E _ / _ _ E / _ _ _ _ E T _ (3, 8, 8, 3, 6, 3, 7)

Letters used: A, E, T

Hannah?

message 44: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments H?

message 45: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Wow! I can solve it already.

message 46: by Caroline (new)

T H E / _ _ E _ _ _ E _ / _ _ T E _ A _ _ / A _ _ / _ _ T _ T _ / _ E E _ / _ _ E / _ _ _ _ E T _ (3, 8, 8, 3, 6, 3, 7)

Letters used: A, E, H, T

Again, Hannah?

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments AlegnaB † wrote: "Wow! I can solve it already."

Oooooo. I can't...

message 48: by Hannah (last edited Aug 02, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 852 comments I?

**to be clear, it's not a referral to myself. I'm guessing the letter I**

message 49: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Alegna, I think it would be great to have two hangman games going at once, since it is a bit slower of a game. Great thinking! I love that you're getting so active in keeping us entertained.

message 50: by AlegnaB † (last edited Aug 02, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 948 comments Okay. I thought about allowing anyone to chime in on the Hangman 2 game instead of waiting for the correct guesser to guess again, so that it moves faster and more people can participate (and we can see which way we like better). But that would probably get confusing. 🤪

Hannah wrote: "I?"

Yes, three of them — if I’m right about the title. 😁

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.