Art Lovers discussion

Mirror Art > Mirror Art - A Reflection on the World

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2018 08:40AM) (new)

Heather | 8353 comments I found this cool website with many examples of using mirrors in art. I'm not sure how many, or if any of these pieces are from 'famous' world-renowned artists, but they look really neat! I just wanted to share. (Idea given to me by Ellen) :)

http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx...

message 2: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

The Endless Mirror Room
by Yayoi Kusama

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

The Hovering Cube
A tree house in Sweden

message 4: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

“The Edge Effect”
by Daniel Kukla

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

Interactive Art
London, England

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

“Vestige”
- by Rob Mullholland

message 7: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

Mirrored Ziggurat
– by Shirin Abedinirad

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

“Unwoven Light”
– by Soo Sunny Park

message 9: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

Tokyu Plaza Omotesando Harajuku Entrance
– by Hiroshi Nakamura

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

Broken Mirror/Evening Sky
– by Bing Wright

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

“Door to Eternity”
– by Lee Bul

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

Mosque of Mirrors
– Shiraz, Iran

message 13: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

“Lucid Stead”
– by Phillip K Smith III

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

The Mirror Spiral
– Arken Museum, Denmark

message 15: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

“The Positive Floor”
– by Francesco Maria Bandini

message 16: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

Mirror Labyrinth
– by Jeppe Hein

message 17: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments

“Eternal Dot”
– Jason Bruges

message 18: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 28 comments Heather wrote: "Mosque of Mirrors
– Shiraz, Iran"

This is a beautiful picture.

message 19: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments I agree, I would love to see that! Be in there!

message 20: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2018 09:55AM) (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Heather wrote: "Mirror Labyrinth
– by Jeppe Hein"

That would be impossible for me to find a way out if it were like a maze one had to get through.

message 21: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 28 comments Heather wrote: "I agree, I would love to see that! Be in there!"

Yes, most definitely!

message 22: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments On of my favorites was Lucas Samaras' mirrored boxes. https://twistedsifter.com/2015/08/luc... There were several versions. I went in the one in LA? Minneapolis? Somewhere else? Had to remove shoes and the experience was astonishing. The space is small but the perception of space is endless. Despite the fact there is no direct source of light, the constant reflection of light that comes in by the entrance is breathtaking.

Art was for a long time regarded as a sort of mirror of nature. Mirrors themselves are magical.

This is really terrific, Heather. A great addition to the group page!

message 23: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Heather wrote: "The Endless Mirror Room
by Yayoi Kusama"

I saw the Kusama show at the Hirsshorn in Washington DC and a friend just went to the new iteration at the Cleveland Museum of Art. I didn't have much interest in her art when I first encountered it but now I am just fascinated by the complexity and obsessiveness of it.

message 24: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Not precisely a mirror but not too far off is the work by Tomas Saraceno. There was an extensive installation at the Baltimore Museum of Art and some pieces are still up.

But I can't figure out how to add an image. Heather?

message 25: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Ellen wrote: "This is really terrific, Heather. A great addition to the group page! "

You're idea, Ellen! Thank you!

message 26: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2018 11:33AM) (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Ellen wrote: "But I can't figure out how to add an image. Heather?"

It's listed in more detail in the thread in the General folder for New Members but first, if you look at the top of every comment box, in green lettering it says "(some HTML is ok)". Click on that and it gives more instruction. I will 'try' to explain. If I wrote out the equation, nothing would show up. Try this:

When you find a picture you want to post, right click on it and select COPY IMAGE LOCATION. Then put it into this equation between the quotation marks i.e. "image location" (usually only jpg images can be posted)

< img src=" post link to picture here.jpg "/>

So that is the equation. Don't put a space after the first < before you write img (space) src=" so there are no other spaces. No space after "link"/> The ONLY space in the equation is between img src
Does that make sense? I hope that helps. If not, let me know.

message 27: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Heather wrote: "Ellen wrote: "But I can't figure out how to add an image. Heather?"

Your explanation is clear. However the pictures don't have a location on the internet: they are my own photographs. Is it possible to post those? I truly am dumb about these things.

message 28: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8353 comments Ellen wrote: "Your explanation is clear. However the pictures don't have a location on the internet: they are my own photograp..."

Good question, Ellen. I actually figured that out 6 years after being on Goodreads! The only thing I figured out to do was to post my pictures on the net somewhere. I had some on Facebook which I could copy the link and then post them here, or photos of my own, I uploaded into my profile here (GR) under 'photos' then right-clicked and got the image location. After I posted the picture in whatever thread here, I deleted it from my photos in my profile. That has worked for me when I have done it, but I have only posted very few pictures that weren't already from the web. Does that make sense? Do you have FB or Instagram? You have a profile here...you can just upload your photos there like I stated above.

Feel free to ask me any other questions, concerns, or if you are now completely confused!

message 29: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Heather wrote: "I actually figured that out 6 years after being on Goodreads."

I will just have to live with not posting images, which is a shame. I already have immense and complicated picture files I used for teaching and I am just unwilling to set up additional picture files anywhere for any purpose. Oh, well. It would be nice if Goodreads would make picture posting simpler and more direct.