♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

BR & BOTM Archives > BR2 Chaitra Alexw Sundaram 1st August

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Hello!!

message 2: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Let Alexw join. He asked books to be decided from his TBR. I'm okay with any of these too. But looking at the list I can't help noticing:

Are you a literature student? These are heavy books.

message 3: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments And not middlemarch coz that's a monster of a book. I won't be able to complete it in a month.

message 4: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Column of fire...is that 3rd in a series?

message 5: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Gone with the wind seems interesting, but Alexw seems to have read it already...

message 6: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Les miserables will stretch to the next buddy Read as well...So the only one I could think of reading is Tess...Tom Hardy...Alexw, what do you say?

message 7: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Tess -works for me and thanks Chaitra for going through our lists

message 8: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Okay Tess then...you guys have the copy?

message 9: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Have a copy and will start tomorrow 8-1-18

message 10: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Great...I got mine on Kindle...✌👍👈

message 11: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments neat I am reading now too-will read about 10 pages- looking forward to your input

message 12: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments And 10 is the no. of pages I read today... just getting acquainted to the world in the book.

message 13: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments My dear BR friends-I am reading the paperback 1964 edition with an afterword by Donald Hall and is 427 pages long.
I say this because there are several editions to this book so maybe we should reference chapters when we discuss?

PS- I have an annoying habit of being like a character in the book and my love ones stayed away from me when I channeled Ahab in Moby Dick !!

message 14: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments No ,am 100% on board with this Tess- Hardy is a brilliant writer and I have been wanting to read one of his classic novels and am so looking forward to your views on this novel as the main character is a woman.

PS- am on chapter 4 and really like it !!

message 15: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Chaitra... let me be blunt...😀... we are absolutely fine by your choices. Alex seems to be a seasoned reader, and I always want to read classics but put them off for later. This way I will read one, and I'm not alone. So thanks.

message 16: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments And friends I have the Kindle version and the no. Of pages is all messed up. Please confirm that the book has 59 chapters, and the 'Phase the Seventh: Fulfilment' has the chapters LIII-LIX.

message 17: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Do NOT rush and make this a chore of reading-read at whatever leisurely pace you desire- enjoy the words- let them envelop you with their magic

message 18: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Correct... I'm a slow reader, and on chapter 4. I like to imagine a lot while reading to transport myself in that era. So please don't hurry. Happy reading friends...✌🤘😀😁

message 19: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Great update-that will enhance my reading of the novel. Frustrated writers who have trouble getting published usually write with lots of pain and anguish- Thanks !!

message 20: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Hmm...Ms Microbiologist...mine has no introduction, so I went right after the lives of these people in the village Marlott. The story is just building up. And as for Hardy's life, people don't let anyone succeed in life... I will read more about the book and his life once I'm done with the book. Common, come out of the labs now ...🖖🤘✌

message 21: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Alex where have you reached, crossed chapter 5?

message 22: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Chapter 4 only-Tess seems to have nothing but bad luck

message 23: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Fascinating comment, Chaitra but unsure of what you mean by a pure woman?

message 24: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments I see -thank you for your quick response

message 25: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Interesting... happy to be reading such a controversial book...

message 26: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Yes- we surely picked a winner and both of you commenting on the novel -makes the reading even more interesting

message 27: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments No problem- Goodreads means never having to say you are sorry

message 28: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Your welcome Ms Chaitra

message 29: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments I like to read at least 2 books at a time. Tess when I am felling romantic and a war novel when my mood is darker.

message 30: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Yes the cockney accent is annoying but I assume that accent was in vogue in the time when the book was written.

message 31: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Chaitra- Added Lorna Doone to my TBR list after your message on 45.

message 32: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Multiple books. I'm reading 3 currently. There are so many books to read, I can't seem to stop myself😁😁👍👍

message 33: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Pace is the problem. I tend to go very slow through them all, unless the book itself pulls me. In which case I drown myself in it, and the next moment I am on the other shore. But, Tess so far is a trudge, I must admit. What do you think?

message 34: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Hahahaa...maybe...I have read 10, and I like Tess, and I can see bad things waiting for her. I want to shout out to her 'stay away from that crooked man'. I think it's being a classic ( I couldn't understand some of the things. I mean I got the idea but not literally) has something to do with the slow pace. But I need to read them all. All the classics. They are said to be more than they appear, especially on repeat readings. So I'm looking forward to knowing the story as well.

message 35: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Excellent discussion and by far with any BR i have had and we have just started.My question is, at the very beginning of the book when the parson tells Tess's Dad that Tess's Dad comes from royalty, is the pastor just cruelly lying to Tess's Dad ? Is the Pastor just trying to mess with Tess's Dad mind as some cruel joke??

That is the way my mind works- the pastor is just being a jerk to Tess's Dad to see what trouble the pastor can cause- what do you think of my theory?

message 36: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments I don't know. He's shown to be an antiquarian, so I took him at his words. Why would he mess up the mind of a useless man such as Durbyfield, unless he is a sadist. Coz they are not even aquaintances. It'll be interesting if the pastor actually did it for fun. What I understood was that he only just wanted to share with him a trivia, maybe to show of his knowledge, but the witless Durbyfield, blew the importance of that detail out of proportion. 😁🤘😁

message 37: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Yes! YEs !!YES !!! I agree with Chaitra and now the rest of the book is set in motion as Tess goes to see her "relatives.'
The pastor was just having sadistic fun with drunk jack.

message 38: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Wow...reading together does help... I missed that completely. That was awesome guys...keep that perspective coming in...I'm gonna read classics with you only if I could have that option in future...🙏🖖👍👍

message 39: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Am on Chapter 9, at end of chapter five, Tess is called a crumby by Alec which I had to look up which means crummy which I thought was a very odd word to describe Tess
Alec gives me the creeps !!

message 40: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Siddhartha and Tess- 2 completely different novels- will be great to see which one you enjoy best.

message 41: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments I love Siddharta...and Alec means Tess harm clearly... and he's quite open about his intentions from the beginning....

message 42: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments Was his clumsy way of trying to seduce her-he is a PIG Why does Alec's Mom hate him and why is she blind ?? Where is Alec's father??

message 43: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments These secrets and more will be revealed as we go along- this is a GREAT book-so happy you chose it, Chaitra !!

message 44: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments I think the Kinship was not informed to the mother coz there was no real Kinship to start with. They weren't real d'urbervilles but stokes. So any talk of the Kinship could have made his mother not meet her at all, and he wanted her desperately to work there to exploit her.

message 45: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments And Alec was notorious for his lusty ways. He thought Tess too much of a 'cottage' girl, and naive to resist his advances for long. He didn't need to be chivalrous with her, he believed. An easy target.

message 46: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments I read the wikiepia about the author of Tess, Hardy and ( like Charles Dickens) the book was written as a serial for newspapers and so they made each chapter end with a desire to read the paper the next day or cliffhanger. In fact, the term cliffhanger was first coined just for Hardy's books !!

message 47: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Interesting info...Thanks Alex...

message 48: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments My question is why then she let him exploit her?...

message 49: by Sundaram (new)

Sundaram Chauhan | 89 comments Hmm...let's read further...I have doubts here. It's going to be a wonderful discussion, I can see. I'm on chapter 14.

message 50: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 81 comments I am with Ms. Chaitra on message 81 on this-I am also on Chapter
My question is -do you find it odd that a male author would make a virginal woman the main character and writes the book from her perspective?? I find that very odd.

« previous 1