Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Surprise Me Chapters 1-3 with spoilers.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments Our heroine is a bubbly women with Rapunzel like hair. She it is her tenth wedding anniversary. She realizes that she will be spending 68 more years with the same man. Would your life choice remain the same if you had thought about time?

I am on my second husband. I had three years of unhappiness with the first. But my second, I would spend 100 years with him.

How about the rest of you?

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra I didn't get their reaction to the news. I'd be delighted to have a Dr tell me I would reach 100. There are so many things yet to do and having my hubby at my side would be a cherry on the cake.
These two seem quite disturbed at the news.

Lastly, what did she find in the drawer?

So far, I'm enjoying this story. It's fun and it is setting the book up as a look at relationships on all sides: moms & kids, wife & husband, daughter & father.

I'm listening to this book while running, which is going to make it difficult for me to remember which chapter I'm in. If I'm unsure, I will be quiet until I figure out where in the story the end of the discussion is.
I think I'll be ahead of our schedule. I have to bring the audiobook back in a couple of weeks, so I can't slow it down.

message 3: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Dang, I missed this thread! Sorry to be getting a late start...I will start reading tonight! :-)

I am on my first husband, and have been married 22 years. We compliment each other well, so I think I will keep him around till death do us part. :-)

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I agree with you Petra. I would love to hear I was going to live a long life. I would be thrilled to hear my husband would be there.

I do understand a little the worry of the sameness, I have several friends who's relationship didn't work out because they became bored. It seems that here are some people who need constant entertainment

I wonder what Sylvie's dad was really like. She describes him as looking like Robert Redford. He just seems to good to be true. I wonder if their will be some surprises there.

Sheila wrote: "Dang, I missed this thread! Sorry to be getting a late start...I will start reading tonight! :-)

I am on my first husband, and have been married 22 years. We compliment each other well, so I think..."

message 5: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Read chapters 1 and 2 last night. I am also curious as to what she found in the drawer in the intro, and I also do not understand their reactions to finding out how long they would live. WHy would anyone be that bothered to find out they might be married another 68 years. I think many people would be thrilled to live that long and have someone they love beside them the whole time!

So who else did the math on the 11,000 more times to have sex? If you didn't, it is about 3 times a week. LOL

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra On my first run that I listened to this, I completed Chapters 1 & 2, as well as got a decent start on Chapter 3.
Yesterday I went for a run and Chapter 3 continued for almost another hour! How long is that chapter?! It must be long, compared to the first 2 chapters.LOL!

I'm enjoying this story. Still baffled at their reaction to the news and how it's making them timid around each other in what (I assume) is a good relationship. They seem more hesitant to openly speak their thoughts and wishes now.

I started Chapter 4 at the end of my run.

message 7: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

The prologue, and chapters 1 and 2 was 32 pages total.
Chapter 3 alone is 41 pages.

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra That explains it. Thanks, Sheila! Listening to books in the pre-loaded cassette version (which I use for outdoor activities) always leaves me not knowing where I am in the book. I get a sense that the book is near ending because loose ends are being wrapped up and I've been listening for many outings. However, once I start, I'm lost as to the progress I'm making.
It is a strange feeling but I've adjusted to it.

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I have been having a though time getting into the site. I don't know of it my internet or if the site is running slow. In chapter 3 Dan makes the statement."lets Do it Let's live our lives'"

Do you ever feel that you are not living your life?

Earlier in the chapter Sylvie looked at her twins and decided that's what life is about.

I sometimes wonder if I a living my children's life instead of my own. What do you do to make sure you have balance?

I am enjoying this book. It is making me laugh and think about many things

message 10: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Honestly, I am having a hard time understanding these two. Why would anyone get the bothered about the fact that they were likely going to live long and healthy lives? Did they think they were going to die early? Why the drama? My great grandmother lived to 101, so I have always kind of set that as a goal for myself as well. And I have never stressed about it, thinking that I am now stuck with my husband and family for many decades. I don't get it.

message 11: by Petra (new)

Petra I don't get it either, Sheila. As a premise for the story I guess we have to go along with the reality of such a(n unhappy?) dramatic shock to a stable and happy marriage. :D

message 12: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 275 comments I think the author is poking a bit of fun at the upcoming generation. They need to be entertained constantly. They cant wait 30 seconds to answer a text.

I had a patient who had broke her arm falling off an escalator.She was answering a text. She caused the person behind her to fall backwards causing multiple injuries. The mind set now is everything musty be fun and must be right now.

It seems more and more people are afraid of repetition. I think that the fear is more of sameness then living. Its more about living their life then the length of their life

Sheila wrote: "Honestly, I am having a hard time understanding these two. Why would anyone get the bothered about the fact that they were likely going to live long and healthy lives? Did they think they were goin..."

message 13: by Petra (last edited Aug 12, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

Petra That sounds plausible, Renee. In the past few years, when we have practicum students, they have mentioned that they don't like repetitive tasks. Hmmmmm…..(1) you're new on the job and there's only a few tasks you are trained to do, and (2) any job requires a fair amount of repetition. That's Life.

Are we discussing beyond Chapter 3 yet? I'm going to add something here that I started thinking in the first few chapters and continues to bother me. This feeling is getting stronger and is actually nauseating now when it comes up.
I've currently just begun listening to Chapter 10:

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Is the younger generation really this shallow? Is this what the instant world of cell phones and apps is making people become?

Petra, I completely agree with your spoiler comment!