What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/Teen Fiction. A teenaged inventor has a metallic substance lighter than air that is strong as steel. Mid 70’s

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave | 1 comments A teenaged boy invents or discovers a metal like substance that is lighter than air and defies gravity. The boy uses the substance in shoes and he is able run and jump faster and longer. The substance is used in other inventions as well. Likely published in the early to mid 70’s.

Possibly in a compilation of short stories.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 31, 2018 05:37AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2070 comments Perhaps the short story "A Situation of Gravity" by Samuel W. Taylor? I'm not sure what book(s) it may be collected in. It's not a teenager that invents the substance, though; it's the "Absentminded Professor."

message 3: by Ayshe (last edited Jul 31, 2018 04:48PM) (new)

message 5: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Aug 10, 2018 05:30AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments I think I was read this in school?

I recall some line drawings, as well.

Older inventor and a kid. One of the scenes was that they put balls of this substance into a heavy wooden chest, but miscalculated, and it started floating away. They start shooting it, to put lead bullets into the chest to bring it down to earth, chasing it all over the countryside. This was a drawing.

I think it wasn't shoes (as that made the boy turn upside down), but they rigged a harness for the boy so the substance could help him win a race.

They keep losing amounts of the substance, decreasing the ways they can use it to make money. ie: Had the kid pole-vaulting, then it was too little to do that, so had him running instead.

I think one of the deals was to put it in a saddle for racing? Might be mis-remembering that.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39281 comments Mod
Dave, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Polly (new)

Polly (pollya) | 132 comments I hope so, because I'm pretty sure the book is Peter Graves

message 8: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Dec 03, 2021 12:39PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Polly wrote: "I hope so, because I'm pretty sure the book is Peter Graves"

The book I described was _Peter Graves_.