Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Any Guesses?---Henry Moore

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Non-Western art was crucial in shaping his early work - he would say that his visits to the ethnographic collections of the British Museum were more important than his academic study.

His interest in the landscape, and in nature, has encouraged the perception that he has deep roots in traditions of British art, yet his softly optimistic, redemptive view of humanity also brought him an international audience.

The seventh of eight children of a mining engineer and homemaker, ___________ was encouraged by his often financially struggling father to pursue higher education and a white collar career.

After a brief period of teaching, and serving in the Civil Service Rifles regiment during World War I, ____________ was awarded an ex-serviceman's grant with which he enrolled at Leeds School of Art...

In 1924 he toured Italy and France for six months where he was impressed by the art of Giotto, Masaccio and Michelangelo.

After his schooling, __________ accepted a seven year teaching position at the Royal College of Art in London.

_________ abandoned a brief interest in Surrealism in 1936 after his role as an organizer of the "London International Surrealist Exhibition" and returned to his modernist figurative work in 1937

In 1946, ___________ traveled to America for the first time to view his retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. At the same time, with the birth of his daughter, Mary, and the death of his mother, his usually single-figure work transformed to reflect his new family structure, and he began to be interested in the mother and child motif.

Many honors were bestowed upon him, including receiving knighthood in 1951 (which he turned down), the Companion of Honor in 1955, the Order of Merit in 1963; and later gained positions as a Trustee at both the National Gallery and the Tate.

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments David Hockney?

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments No, I'm sorry.

message 4: by Dirk, Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2018 04:52AM) (new)

Dirk Van | 2844 comments Let's see if this works:

message 5: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Brancusi

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments No, sorry Geoffrey. I like Brancusi’s work better than this artist but this one is still interesting, especially his reclining figures.

message 7: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2844 comments Heather wrote: "No, sorry Geoffrey. I like Brancusi’s work better than this artist but this one is still interesting, especially his reclining figures."

You mean something like this:

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Aug 02, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Dirk wrote: "You mean something like this:"

Dirk, there is a reason I give what information I give and don't include pictures. So far we have gotten all of the artists at one point and we learn along the way. I give clues, but not pictures.

Are you looking at the spoiler? Or do you just automatically know all this information and add your posts to 'help' us identify who it is?

You are welcome to guess who it is (without cheating with the spoiler) OR you can, like you have, create your own thread with an artist of your choice and if you feel to post pictures of their work, that's fine. That thread is under your control and you can disclose any information that you want.

message 9: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 2844 comments Ow, I'm sorry, I don't know all the rules yet.
I just thought it would be cool to show my guess with a pic instead of just a name.
And no I did not look at the spoiler.

Maybe I'll create a thread, I'm still going through years of posts and don't want to put up things that already have been shown or discussed.

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Dirk wrote: "Ow, I'm sorry, I don't know all the rules yet.
I just thought it would be cool to show my guess with a pic instead of just a name.
And no I did not look at the spoiler.

Maybe I'll create a thread,..."

I totally understand. No worries! There is a LOT to go through, I know. I'm just glad you're here! And you are more than welcome to have your own thread(s). I meant no offense, I didn't know that was your guess, I thought you knew who it was and were trying to give clues, too. I'm sorry.

But, you're awesome with your comments and other posts! I hope you enjoy the group. :)

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Dirk wrote: "Maybe I'll create a thread, I'm still going through years of posts and don't want to put up things that already have been shown or discussed."

It might help, I don't know, but there is the Folder and Thread Update thread in the top General Folder where I post new Folders and threads when they are created, if you just read through there you can see what has been discussed.

OR, this group has been around awhile, if something has already been discussed, it could have been a few years ago and it wouldn't hurt to bring it up again! So don't worry about being redundant, feel free to talk about whatever (art, of course) No worries :)

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments Somebody has to know this by now...come on, don't be shy!

message 13: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments More on Moore?

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8396 comments You got it, Geoffrey! Good job!