You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > August 2018 - The Gabriel Hounds

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jul 31, 2018 04:27AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14594 comments One of the group reads for August is The Gabriel Hounds by Mary Stewart. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Lanelle will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during August 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14594 comments I opened the thread a little earlier because I won't be online tomorrow (only from my phone, but that's no good for opening new threads).

message 3: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments Who is planning on reading The Gabriel Hounds with us?

message 4: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I read The Gabriel Hounds a few days ago. I'm ready to discuss it anytime. I think I read the book before, about 40 years ago. I remembered it as not being one of my favorites by the author, and it still is not, but hey, it's Mary Stewart. I don't think she wrote any bad books. Her characters are always interesting. This time the point of view character, Christy, is rich and sometimes described as spoiled. Stewart's heroines are more often less well-to-do and are forced to use their wits to solve problems, rather than throwing money at them. But Christy has different challenges. Any one else reading this?

message 5: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Me! I will post as soon as I finish chapter 1, either tonite or in the morning.

like Casceil i used to read a lot from this author back in the mists of time. i have vague memories of her arturian books but not of this one. all i can say is, if my local library had it 35 years ago, i will have read it! i remember no details about them but i really liked them.

message 6: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Have fun, Margo. I did not remember much of anything about the book, so it was like reading it for the first time. And a "new" Mary Stewart was a great discovery.

message 7: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments I started reading yesterday, and I've made it to page 77. I agree, Casceil. I have my favorite Mary Stewart books, but she hasn't written a bad book that I've found.

Margo, I remember devouring The Crystal Cave and the rest of the series.

What did you think when Christy mentions (view spoiler)

message 8: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments I would love a ride in Charles' car!

description

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver | 451 comments The only books I have read by Mary Stewart was her King Arther books which I loved. It made me want to read more of her books but I was hesitant that many of them are classified as romances which is not my cup of tea.

The Gothic aspects of this one peeked my interest. The description of the book brought to mind Daphne du Maurier whom I quite enjoy.

Thus far reading the book I do really enjoy Stewart’s writing. She does create a vivid atmosphere. While I am not sure the main characters are entirely likeable they are intriguing.

message 10: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments Silver, quite a few of Mary Stewart's books are said to be gothic stories. I think that they have some components of the gothic genre, but not all the requirements. As I read the book, I'm watching for those aspects.

message 11: by Casceil (last edited Aug 02, 2018 09:19PM) (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Silver, the most Gothic of Mary Stewart's books is Nine Coaches Waiting Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart . It could be called a romance, but it is more a mystery and a romantic thriller. In a regular romance, the two protagonists are in contact with each other through most of the book and the main focus of the book is their relationship. In this book, their paths do not intersect all that much, and the relationship between the two main characters is not really the focus of the story.

Lanelle, (view spoiler)

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Lanelle, great job on finding the car and what a beauty it is! I can just it, gleaming, parked in a dusty, Damascan bazaar :-)

I didn't manage to get back to the book yesterday. I am reading it on kindle - a few of her works have only recently been made available on that platform. Be warned - I am a very slow reader! I have problrms reading and I need total silence - very hard to come by that in my house! I will keep soldiering on lol

message 13: by Silver (new)

Silver | 451 comments Casceil wrote: "Silver, the most Gothic of Mary Stewart's books is Nine Coaches Waiting Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart. It could be called a romance, but it is more a mystery and a romantic th..."

I will have to look that one up.

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Just FYI - I was doing some research on Corfu and found a reference to Mary Stewart and her book This Rough Magic, which is set in Corfu.

message 15: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments Cherie wrote: "Just FYI - I was doing some research on Corfu and found a reference to Mary Stewart and her book This Rough Magic, which is set in Corfu."

I used This Rough Magic for the ZZ challenge - Sagittarius: Owl task. I thought it was one of Mary Stewart's better stories.

message 16: by Cherie (last edited Aug 03, 2018 03:47PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19582 comments Lanelle wrote: "I used This Rough Magic for the ZZ challenge - Sagittarius: Owl task. I thought it was one of Mary Stewart's better stories..."

I was just looking to see if it was available and I see it available as a Nook ebook for $2.99. If I had known this at the time, I might not have bought the Corfu Trilogy.

This book would still be an alternate read for the themed read for this month.

message 17: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments This Rough Magic is probably my favorite Mary Stewart book. I noticed this morning that many Mary Stewart books are on sale for Kindle, many for $1.99, including Nine Coaches Waiting.

message 18: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Finally got to finished chapter 1.
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Lanelle wrote: "I started reading yesterday, and I've made it to page 77. I agree, Casceil. I have my favorite Mary Stewart books, but she hasn't written a bad book that I've found.

Margo, I remember devouring [..."

Lanelle (view spoiler)

message 20: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments From Chapter 2: This is what Mary Stewart is talking about when she refers to the Adonis Source (Afqa)

description

description

message 21: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Thank you for the pictures, Lanelle.

message 22: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Wow, amazing pictures!

I have just finished chapter 3

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 07, 2018 05:51AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments I started the book yesterday and a somewhere in chapter 2 (I think). I've never read anything by this author before, but I'm impressed so far.

Re chapter 1:
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 07, 2018 05:54AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments I'm a bit confused by the relationship between the two main characters. She says they call each other cousins, but are actually second cousins. She also mentions twins in a previous generation and I'm not sure how they fit into the picture.

I should really go back and re-read... is it that important do you think?

message 25: by Annerlee (last edited Aug 07, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments Annerlee wrote: "I'm a bit confused by the relationship between the two main characters. She says they call each other cousins, but are actually second cousins. She also mentions twins in a previous generation and ..."

Ah... ok... just answered my own question via Google (All Hail the great G!! - ok, ok - I was watching MIB yesterday ! )

Anyway, there are differences between their cousin relationship depending whether you're reading the UK or the US version. The UK version has them cousins but to identical twins. The US version has them as more distant cousins.

I got my info from an article here: https://marystewartreading.wordpress....
(Scroll down to the section 'Differences between UK and US versions of The Gabriel Hounds')

(I'll stop hogging the discussion now. I'm at work invigilating an exam for one candidate - and I'm so bored. Didn't bring my book...)

message 26: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Annerlee, thanks for sharing that. (view spoiler)

message 27: by siriusedward (last edited Aug 07, 2018 11:01AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Annerlee wrote: "I started the book yesterday and a somewhere in chapter 2 (I think). I've never read anything by this author before, but I'm impressed so far.

Re chapter 1:
Her descriptions of the bazaar are so ..."

Me too..nearly to the end of ch.2.My first book by the author too.

I am liking the tone .An easy lighthearted read..with great descriptions and a good flow...the lighthearted banter between the cousins is fun to read.

message 28: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Annerlee wrote: "I'm a bit confused by the relationship between the two main characters. She says they call each other cousins, but are actually second cousins. She also mentions twins in a previous generation and ..."

My version has the girl's father as one of the twins.The other twin adopted the boy when he was orphaned.The boy is actually the son of the twin's cousin.So second cousin by relationship but by adoption more like first cousins.

message 29: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments That's very interesting Annerlee. It seems that incest IS more acceptable in UK - it's official LOL

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments I'm have finished chapter 6.

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Silver (new)

Silver | 451 comments I just finished chapter 2

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments I'm getting a bit of a late start, but I'm here and have begun reading now. I've never read anything by this author before, but after reading a few of your posts, I really want to.

Does anyone have a good, concise definition of Gothic as it pertains to literature. I have a vague idea of what it means, but I'm not sure I could categorize a book accurately in that genre. It seems that many of Ms. Stewart's books are classified that way; so I should probably get a better idea of what it is.

The setting:
(view spoiler)

Characters:
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments Tricia, here's what to expect from a traditional gothic story:

1. Setting The story takes place in an old, abandoned, decaying, ruined castle or mansion, often with secret passages, trap doors, hidden staircases. Often there are caves nearby. There is some sort of miserable weather happening.

2. Suspense There is a feeling of mystery or fear. "It is the mood that defines the Gothic...it is about the atmosphere created and the emotions evoked." The Gothic: 250 Years of Success: Your Guide to Gothic Literature and Culture by A.J. Blakemont

3. Inexplicable Events Dramatic, supernatural, amazing events occur; such as ghosts walking, inanimate objects coming to life, strange noises, bodies disappearing or doors that open themselves.

4. High, Overwrought Emotion The narration may be highly sentimental, and the characters are often overcome by anger, sorrow, surprise, and especially, terror.

5. A Woman in Distress The female character often faces events that leaves them fainting, terrified, screaming and/or crying. Emotional speeches are frequent.

6. A Powerful, Tyrannical Male An employer, lord of the manor, father, or guardian may demand the female do something intolerable.

7. A Hero The hero is handsome and adventurous, but is also dark, brooding and mysterious with a difficult or tragic childhood.

8. Vocabulary The constant use of appropriate words creates the atmosphere. Examples : diabolical, haunted, ominous, secret, agony, dreaded, despair, frantic, shrieks, terrible, wretched, alarm, shocking, anxious, rage, temper, wrath, dismal, black, and tremendous.

message 34: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Lanelle wrote: "Tricia, here's what to expect from a traditional gothic story:

1. Setting The story takes place in an old, abandoned, decaying, ruined castle or mansion, often with secret passages, trap doors, hi..."

Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for.

message 35: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Lanelle wrote: "Tricia, here's what to expect from a traditional gothic story:

1. Setting The story takes place in an old, abandoned, decaying, ruined castle or mansion, often with secret passages, trap doors, hi..."

Great summing up,Lanelle!

message 36: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments Tricia wrote: "Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for."

You're welcome.

siriusedward wrote: "Great summing up, Lanelle!"

I love gothic stories. I actually wrote a reading challenge specifically for gothic novels for a different group here on Goodreads. I just copied what I had written up for the challenge and pasted it here :)

message 37: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments Tricia wrote: "I'm getting a bit of a late start, but I'm here and have begun reading now..."
I wouldnt worry Tricia. I've only just started too.

Re Christy's character. You're so right. I hadnt thought of it that way. I wouldnt have been looking for her, but I would have been so annoyed if she held everyone up.

message 38: by Margo (last edited Aug 08, 2018 01:47AM) (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Tricia wrote: "I'm getting a bit of a late start, but I'm here and have begun reading now. I've never read anything by this author before, but after reading a few of your posts, I really want to.

Does anyone ha..."

I agree Tricia! (view spoiler)

message 39: by siriusedward (last edited Aug 08, 2018 10:09AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Lanelle wrote: "From Chapter 2: This is what Mary Stewart is talking about when she refers to the Adonis Source (Afqa)

"

I was just looking it up too..Thanks for the pic,Lanelle..
Love google maps for all these books..

message 40: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Chapters 7 to 10 (view spoiler)

message 41: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3037 comments Margo, my favorite quote from Chapter 7 is, "I've always wanted to climb into a harem." (Charles)

message 42: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Ch.3-5(view spoiler)

message 43: by siriusedward (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:15PM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Ch.6
..The atmosphere is nicely set..I can feel the rain and the silence and the darkness and the lamplight in the dark..the gloomy setting..

message 44: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Ch.6
All the suspicious movements and noises are reminding me of Enid Blyton and Nancy Drew mysteries..but the descriptions are really beautiful..

message 45: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments Just beginning Chapter 3. (view spoiler)

message 46: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments Response to Annerlee's spoiler re Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

message 47: by Tricia (last edited Aug 08, 2018 07:02PM) (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Annerlee wrote: "Just beginning Chapter 3."

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2640 comments Tricia wrote: "Annerlee wrote: "Just beginning Chapter 3."

[spoilers removed]"

Haha Tricia. I can tell Christie's really getting to you. I think your right about Charles too : (

message 49: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Lanelle wrote: "Margo, my favorite quote from Chapter 7 is, "I've always wanted to climb into a harem." (Charles)"

Hehe - every mans dream!

message 50: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9400 comments Annerlee wrote: "Tricia wrote: "Annerlee wrote: "Just beginning Chapter 3."

[spoilers removed]"

Haha Tricia. I can tell Christie's really getting to you. I think your right about Charles too : ("

Re Christy (view spoiler)

« previous 1