Book Cover Reviews discussion

Entangled Earth
This topic is about Entangled Earth
Cover Reviews > Sci-fi thriller cover

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Jul 31, 2018 08:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Lea | 3 comments I've not been 100% happy with my cover since Entangled Earth was released and I'm considering an update.
I've drafted up a potential replacement but I wanted to get some feedback before I splurge on stock images to actually create it :)

Blurb:
An experiment gone wrong embeds an entire world, completely invisible and indifferent to our presence, into the Earth. Now the world only has days left before it is torn apart.
Mia Green finds herself stuck in Paris, in the middle of the unnatural disaster. With calamity only ever a step away, she has to get home to England to find her family and stop the experiment that’s ending the world. But that’s easier said than done when the entire world has become an invisible and unpredictable puzzle filled with unseen danger.
Physics isn’t easy. Rule number one should always be ‘Don’t Destroy The World’. Sometimes science doesn’t follow the rules.
Entangled Earth is a mind bending adventure where everyday activities on this other world suddenly become deadly threats.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul | 73 comments David –

Judging by the cover in the link, the image you attached to this post is your idea for the new cover?

If so, I have to say that I love the new imagery. Those ghostly figures, the hands, the angular sharp shapes really works well. Definitely an upgrade from the original idea of the Earth from space with swirling stars.

I'm less jazzed about your new typography, though. Its a nice font, perhaps a bit thin in the thumbnail, but still readable. Classy look. Good choice to ditch the fake gold texture in the original. But there is a hierarchy mismatch which bothers me a bit.

I'm assuming this is a single book, not part of an "Earth" series, correct? While I completely understand why you are doing it—the length difference of "Entangled" and "Earth" is a tricky problem to solve—this arrangement makes me think that "Earth" is more important then "Entangled." Which it isn't; they are equally important.

Resolving this is hard. In my mind, equal weight and size of the two words, but perhaps you can get away with the oversized "Earth" if it is integrated into the image more, perhaps with a longer fading transition to help deemphasize?

Otherwise, I'd suggest checking the kerning on "DA" and "AV" in your name; tracking out is ok, since it is all caps, but there still ought to be a spacing rhythm in the 5 letters of "DAVID." "LEA" looks fine, suggesting to me "DAV" could be tightened up a smidge.

Last with the ghostly arms, there is a long curved on to the right. It seems to form the right part of an arc that starts in the left third, and is visually distracting (because it engages the eye too much). To me this arm doesn't make sense.

And the few fingers of a hand between "David" and "Lea" could be brilliant; probably center it in that space and you'll be good. Nice touch!

Last point, centering: "Entangled" is slightly further to the right. This is good (although perhaps too tight) for a paperback print cover, but for the eBook I'd make sure there is equal visual space on both sides.

But these are all nitpicky points. The cover upgrade looks really good. Engaging, intriguing, and unique. I'm going to read it—as soon as you update it ;-)

Paul

David Lea | 3 comments Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback! It's not intended to be a series, at least if it is there won't be a 'something' Earth following it (although I did wake up at 12:30 last night and write the first 200 words of a sequel).

Attempt number 2:

message 4: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 387 comments Mod
I'm agreeing with Paul on most points, and especially on the font. David, your #2 above is better, but I'm thinking it would be even better still with a sans-serif, compressed font. Something with more power. Just peeked at Amazon Best Sellers in Post-Apocalyptic Science Fiction. Most are showing the sans serif (sometimes distressed).

And I can see the problem with balance on the two words, with "Entangled" being more important but it's longer. Take a look at these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...
... scroll down to "Extinction Code" (#10) That's kind of your situation. Personally, I think "CODE" is too big there. "Extinction Countdown" (#14) is better, but then look at "Aimless Witch" (#17). In terms of "weight/balance," that feels about right (not looking at colors, contrast, positioning, or anything else). I also like the font on "Infinite" (#18).

Maybe try one of these font styles?

BTW, I'm totally digging the fragmented main image!

And yes, this new cover version is *way* better than the current Earth one that's up.

Go get 'em! ;-)

message 5: by David (last edited Aug 01, 2018 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Lea | 3 comments Thanks so much for all your feedback. The new cover went live a few minutes ago and I'm very happy with it.
https://amzn.to/2LGVPKa

message 6: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 387 comments Mod
Good luck with it, David!

message 7: by Paul (last edited Aug 01, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Paul | 73 comments Well done David! Harald's comment about the font was spot on—generally the weight and readability of a sans serif is the way to go (as most all covers show). But in this case, I think you pulled off the serifed font well, and the fact that it doesn't match everything else *and* it is done well makes it stand out a bit more in a crowd.

Now I only wish your back cover stylistically matched the front better. Ah, designers… we're never satisfied! ;-)

Good luck!

Paul