Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > August 2018-Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-Breath

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11319 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on Breath by Tim Winton Breath by Tim Winton

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69308 comments Mod
A long time since I read this one, but I do remember enjoying it very much :)

message 3: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Finished this last night. I found it to be a beautifully written coming of age tale. I could relate to the summers spent surfing, though in my case it was mainly body surfing, I'm pretty bad on a board lol

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Glad you enjoyed it Kylie :)

message 5: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) This book is so much darker than I expected and it just takes that turn from surfing to what seems like a completely different book! I got that "From Dusk Till Dawn" feeling like when the family campervan holiday turns suddenly into a vampire film!

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL!

message 7: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (silphil) | 39 comments I've never really read Tim Winton before, now I've read 2 in a matter ofs weeks and a 3rd ready to go!!

I really enjoyed Breath....living and growing up on the coast and the ocean being a large part of my life (not a surfer though) it really spoke to me.

I found the later part quite disturbing and confronting and I've gotta say that diminished my enjoyment a little bit.

Has anyone else read the Shepherd's Hut? There was a part of this one towards the end that I found reminiscient of that.

message 8: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Tanya, I can highly recommend Cloudstreet as a great yarn, an epic family saga.

Breath was the darkest and most distrubing of his that I have read.

message 9: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (silphil) | 39 comments Thanks for the recommendation Ace, I'll check it out.

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7945 comments I really enjoyed Breath when I read it a couple of years ago. Growing up in WA and spending lots of summers on the SW coast I know that part of the coast and the surfie culture very well and the book really captured that well, as did the movie. I did find the auto-eroticism later in the book was a bit disturbing, mainly because the boy was so young. I'm hoping to get to The Shepherd's Hut before the end of the year - my DH bought a copy and loved it!