Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

August - RECENTLY BOUGHT > Review thread

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
After you have finished your book(s) for the book club, use this thread to write a review or post a link to your review.

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I just finished Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett and you can find my review here.

It was a really fun and perfect vacation read!

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I finished The Potion Diaries which was kind of an impulse buy because it sounded really cute? And it was, it was light and magical and just what I needed, but I never really fell in love with it. So I have given it 3.5 stars.

I also read Lifel1k3 because Jay Kristoff even though I generally don't get excited for robot stories. So while the stories and the characters were technically good, it still felt kind of meh? I was going to give it 3 stars, but then the final 25% certainly picked up like whoa and it was FUCKING AWESOME and so I am also giving it 3.5 stars!

message 4: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "but then the final 25% certainly picked up like whoa and it was FUCKING AWESOME and so I am also giving it 3.5 stars! "

The ending was so goood!!!!

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "but then the final 25% certainly picked up like whoa and it was FUCKING AWESOME and so I am also giving it 3.5 stars! "

The ending was so goood!!!!"

SO. GOOD.

message 6: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I also read Flipped by Wendeling Van Draanen this month (thanks for the inadvertent rec, Luci!) and my review is here.

IT'S SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE.

Cutest book ever.

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Aug 23, 2018 01:52AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Last week I finished I Was Born For This, Alice Oseman's newest book while on the train to London.
It's such a cute and sharp book about boybands, the joys (and faults) of Fandom, and the need of friendship. It was the perfect book to get into the mood for London - especially since I saw the Spice Girls exhibition later 😁 - and you can read my review here.

message 8: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments I recently finished reading The Great Passage , a free ebook from World Read Day that I downloaded from Amazon this year. The pacing of the book was way too fast, and it unnecessarily skipped large chunks of time, but it was overall a very sweet story with a happy ending. I would still recommend it to others, even though I only gave it three stars.

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I recently read The Deal, which wasn't a recent buy. But since I enjoyed it enough to read the other books in the Off Campus series, I bought The Mistake, The Score and The Goal as e-books.

I finished The Goal yesterday. I didn't write any reviews for them, but I have to say that I enjoyed these NA stories a lot. Sure, they are full of tropes, but Kennedy writes her tropes well!
My ratings:
The Deal: 3.5 stars
The Mistake: 3.75 stars
The Score: 4 stars
The Goal: 3 stars

message 10: by Eleanor (new)

Eleanor (ontheothersideofreality) | 183 comments One of the books I read was for school: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard. It's a retelling of Hamlet from the POV of two minor characters. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would (being a major Shakespeare fan) as the hardcore nihilism and Waiting for Godot vibes aren't quite my style. But it was still pretty funny. 4/5 stars.

And then!! I read!!! Autoboyography by Christina Lauren!! ONLY THE SECOND BEST BOOK I'VE READ THIS ENTIRE YEAR GOOD GOD. The pacing, the writing, the emotion -- it was all so incredible. 10/5 stars. Oh my God.

message 11: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Eleanor wrote: "One of the books I read was for school: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard. It's a retelling of Hamlet from the POV of two minor characters. I didn't like it as much..."

Aw, too bad Eleanor! I'm interested in reading that book too, so I better prepare myself for the hardcore nihilism. I also read Shakespeare this month - Much Ado About Nothing - but I didn't find it as funny as I hoped I would. Beatrice and Benedick yes, but Claudio slandering Hero: not funny dude. :-|

message 12: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments I finally finished Circe! Buddy reading with Puck was so much fun, even if moving back to school made my outside life a little crazy. I will always be enamored with the main character as long as I live, and I would recommend it to literally every person on the planet. Here's my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Natulcien wrote: "I recently read The Deal, which wasn't a recent buy. But since I enjoyed it enough to read the other books in the Off Campus series, I bought The Mistake, [book:The ..."

This is one of my favourite series ever, so I'm glad to see you've enjoyed them! They are very tropey and clichéd, but as you say, she writes them well. I just can't resist.

message 14: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Calina wrote: "I finally finished Circe! Buddy reading with Puck was so much fun, even if moving back to school made my outside life a little crazy. I will always be enamored with the main character as long as I ..."

You and Puck are really making me want to read this book. 😂 Glad you had a great time buddy reading!

message 15: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Inge wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "I recently read The Deal, which wasn't a recent buy. But since I enjoyed it enough to read the other books in the Off Campus series, I bought [book:The Mistake|255..."

Have you read the first in the spin-off series, The Chase (I can't find the link to the book)? I haven't but I'm definitely planning to :-)

message 16: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Yesterday I finished Traitor's Blade and I loved it. You can find my very short review here.

message 17: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Aug 29, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Natulcien wrote:

The Chase :D I've bought it but I haven't read it yet. Soon!

message 18: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Aug 30, 2018 12:26AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I finished Circe too! Just like Calina I thought it was a wonderful book; I know a lot of Greek mythology, but I was actually never that familiar with Circe's story, especially what happens after Odysseus leaves. Here is my review, and I think I'll pick up The Song of Achilles by the same author soon. :)

message 19: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments Inge wrote: "Calina wrote: "I finally finished Circe! Buddy reading with Puck was so much fun, even if moving back to school made my outside life a little crazy. I will always be enamored with the main characte..."

You totally should, it's unlike anything I've ever read before. It really brings you deeper down inside of your own head, which is completely surreal, like you're the one isolated between two worlds.

message 20: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments I bought Basic Witches How to Summon Success, Banish Drama, and Raise Hell with Your Coven by Jaya Saxena
last year while I was at school, and now that I've gone back, I decided to finally open it. I was afraid to find out whether the contents actually matched the gorgeous cover, and they weren't as stellar, but they didn't disappoint too much. For your average reader, it's a cute and dark little self-help book. Here's my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 21: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Calina wrote: "Inge wrote: "Calina wrote: "I finally finished Circe! Buddy reading with Puck was so much fun, even if moving back to school made my outside life a little crazy. I will always be enamored with the ..."

Unlike Circe's story I already know how the story between Achilles and his lover end (😭) but I'm sure that Madeleine Miller's beautiful prose will tell the story all new and wonderful. Your words make it sounds very impressive