Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

August - RECENTLY BOUGHT > How are you enjoying your books?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss the book(s) you're currently reading for the book club. Are you glad you bought the book, or are you regretting your purchase?

message 2: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Aug 10, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
So I went on a short vacation with my mom and sister and I took Sing, Unburied, Sing with me. I bought the book in January so I thought it was high time I read it, and I'm glad I did. Not because of the subject - the story is bleak and cruel - but the writing style is intense and very good.

But after that harsh story, I need a pick-me-up so I started Circe today. I'm buddy-reading this with Calina and although I just began, I'm already really liking it!

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I am still in a bit of a reading slump, but I am slowly reading Lifel1k3, though right now I'm not really enjoying it yet. Hopefully it will pick up soon. I do love Cricket and Lemon Fresh, but the slang is annoying.

I also recently went on a Kindle shopping spree, and bought The Potion Diaries among others. It's pretty light and cute so far!

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "I am still in a bit of a reading slump, but I am slowly reading Lifel1k3, though right now I'm not really enjoying it yet. Hopefully it will pick up soon. I do love Cricket and Lemo..."

I just looked "The Potion Diaries" up and it does sound light and cute! A perfect summer read to (hopefully) get you out of your reading slump.

Last week I finished a couple of my recent buys - I Was Born For This and Blood Water Paint - and both were amazing! Very different stories, but each wonderful in their own way.
And I'm still working on Circe - I know Greek mythology pretty well, but it's still very interesting to read this old story again. Especially when it's so beautifully told. :)

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "I am still in a bit of a reading slump, but I am slowly reading Lifel1k3, though right now I'm not really enjoying it yet. Hopefully it will pick up soon. I do love Cri..."

I'm so glad you've been enjoying all your reads, Puck! I love that there's so much variety in the books you pick up. I'm definitely buying I Was Born For This soon. ^_^

message 6: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
So I am really enjoying The Way of Kings...I don't know how Sanderson does it. Even though this book is super long I can't wait to get back to listening to it. Such interesting characters and the world building is fantastic!
I had to put down And I Darken for a little bit...I just couldn't get into it. I might pick it up when I finish my next book.
I started reading My Plain Jane and so far it is just as good as the first! So funny and I had just read Jane Eyre a couple months ago so that story is still kind of fresh in my mind (though it definitely wasn't my favorite classic.)

message 7: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments Puck wrote: "So I went on a short vacation with my mom and sister and I took Sing, Unburied, Sing with me. I bought the book in January so I thought it was high time I read it, and I'm glad I di..."
I'm absolutely in love with it so far! I'm about 10% behind, but if it weren't so enticing, I'd definitely be lagging even more, what with college move-in day coming up tomorrow. The book is definitely worth the hype, and I feel like I can connect with Circe in so many ways.

nidah05 (SleepDreamWrite) | 177 comments Went on a vacation with family and brought a book or two with me. Then we stopped by at a bookshop and I got three more books. So far they sound interesting and I just finished one called About a Dog by jenn mckinlay and already started Death in the Stacks by the same author.

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Ciampichini I just started Children of Blood and Bone today. It's been sitting on my shelf for a few months. I know I'm kinda late reading this one...It's interesting so far, but some of the characters are already getting on my nerves; I hope they'll grow on me.

message 10: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I started reading Traitor's Blade the other day and I'm really enjoying it. I love it when the humor in a book borders on sarcasm :-)

message 11: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natalie wrote: "I just started Children of Blood and Bone today. It's been sitting on my shelf for a few months. I know I'm kinda late reading this one...It's interesting so far, but some of the ch..."

I'm one of the few people who was really letdown by Children of Blood and Bone, one of the reasons being the characters (I wanted to choke Inan).
Still, I hope the book got better for you - the story itself is pretty epic :)

message 12: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
This weekend it was raining horribly, so I spend it reading Wuthering Heights. I actually had never read this classic before (gasp), and the only thing I knew about it was that it told a romantic story...nope, it wasn't!
It was a actually lot darker than that, full with people making each other miserable and a toxic romance. Each time I thought "Heathcliff can't get any wooooo, oh shit he just did." 😨

So a perfect book to read with rain pouring down. :)

message 13: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "This weekend it was raining horribly, so I spend it reading Wuthering Heights. I actually had never read this classic before (gasp), and the only thing I knew about it was that it tol..."

Hahahaha I had the same! I watched one of the Wuthering Heights movies, thinking it was going to be a classic romantic story. Coming out of it: "What the hell did I just watch?" 😂

message 14: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) wrote: "Went on a vacation with family and brought a book or two with me. Then we stopped by at a bookshop and I got three more books. So far they sound interesting and I just finished one called [book:Abo..."

Aww, About A Dog sounds really cute! How did you like it?

message 15: by Natalie (last edited Aug 31, 2018 08:22AM) (new)

Natalie Ciampichini Puck wrote: "This weekend it was raining horribly, so I spend it reading Wuthering Heights. I actually had never read this classic before (gasp), and the only thing I knew about it was that it tol..."

Wuthering Heights is one of my favorites! Definitely not a typical romantic story. Even though I despise Cathy and Heathcliff, I feel sorry for them, because it's like they just kept missing each other, like they were just out of sync. Makes you think about how the timing of events affects our lives. I'm now inspired to read more of the Brontë sisters and got the audiobook of Jane Eyre.

message 16: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments Natalie wrote: "Puck wrote: "This weekend it was raining horribly, so I spend it reading Wuthering Heights. I actually had never read this classic before (gasp), and the only thing I knew about it wa..."

I can't wait to hear what you think of Jane Eyre! It's one of my absolute favorites. The only classic that could tie with it is Little Women for me.

message 17: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natalie wrote: "Puck wrote: "This weekend it was raining horribly, so I spend it reading Wuthering Heights. I actually had never read this classic before (gasp), and the only thing I knew about it wa..."

Absolutely! And I think the theme of isolation affects the family of Wuthering Heights too: if they lived closer to a (big) town with more human interaction, maybe Heathcliff and Cathy wouldn't have grown so/too close. Maybe their romance would have grown more naturally...? But then, their personalities are already so strange, maybe that wouldn't have mattered. 😕

It's definitely a book not easily understood, which makes it so fascinating! I also own a book by Anne Bronte - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - and with Jane Eyre on my TBR, I can't wait to see how alike and different the sisters write. ^^