Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

August - RECENTLY BOUGHT > Discussion: Recently Bought

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Jul 31, 2018 02:38AM) (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Which ones have you bought recently and why?
Well, let's see...

I bought Lifel1k3 because Jay Kristoff is one of my favourite authors and I loved the sound of the blurb.

Finnikin of the Rock has been on my TBR for years and years, so when a friend of mine sold it for 2 euros, I couldn't resist.

I had When The Curtain Falls on pre-order for ages. Carrie Hope Fletcher is my favourite YouTuber and I love the theatre setting.

And how could I resist Sea Witch? I love mermaids, I love retellings, and I love villains. I had to have it.

What makes you buy a book?
Is it an author I have read before and did I enjoy their previous book(s)? Does the blurb excite me - does it have aspects I usually love (e.g. villains, retellings, fake relationships)?

What's a book you regret buying?
So many. The Perks of Being a Wallflower was a book I really didn't mesh with, but I love the movie. I'm a lot more careful with the books I buy now, but if I read a book I don't like, I'll donate it to my local hospital.

Are you careful buying books or do you buy impulsively?
I used to be rather impulsive, but now I've grown more careful. I'll check out the Goodreads page and my friends' ratings, even if I'm in a bookstore.

Paperback, hardcover, or ebook?
Ebooks are really comfortable to read because I can read them while lying down. I have a limited energy supply so there are a lot of moments of rest in my day. If I want to have the book in print, I'll buy the paperback. The dust jackets on hardcovers just really annoy me. :')

Do you have multiple editions of a book?
Would it surprise anyone if I said Harry Potter? I'm not one to buy multiple editions of one book, but I do have the Hufflepuff edition of the first book, and a friend bought me the illustrated version for my birthday. ♥

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 13 comments Which ones have you bought recently and why?

Hmmm, let’s see...

Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms #3) by Morgan Rhodes because I’m really loving this series and can’t seem to put them down or read anything else in between lol

The Circle by Dave Eggers because the movie looked cool and my mom paid for it lol

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir because it seemed like something I would enjoy and my mom also paid for it along with The Circle. And a bonus: supporting authors from diverse backgrounds.

If it’s on my tbr on goodreads, an author I like wrote it, or if the synopsis is just really intriguing.

What’s a book you regret buying?

Hmmm, nothing really. Oh actually, The Magicians. Sounded so promising and was in the beginning but I just couldn’t get into it.

Lol nope I’m pretty impulsive.

Paperback, hardcover rarely and ebook if it’s a quick read (been reading a series of unfortunate events on ebook through my library).

Surprisingly, no.

Good questions, this was fun!

message 3: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Qazi I bought ten books in the last week alone. And almost 22 in the past two months.
So this is the list of books i bought this week:
A Court of Mist and Fury (already finished it and it was amazing! much better than the first book of the series)
A Court of Wings and Ruin (Haven't started it yet but I am so excited to dig into it)
1984 by George Orwell (Already half way through and it is very very very scary)
Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks (This makes my heart break and sing at the same time. Makes sense?)
The rest i haven't started yet :
How To be a Bawse by Lilly Singh (she is a goddess, fight me)
Animal Farm by George Orwell
I'll Give You The Sun
A Girl on the train and Into The Water by Paula Hawkins
Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

The fact that it has been on my tbr for a long while or I really wanna give the author a try.

I bought two of Henry James' books and i never came around to reading them because ughhhh i couldn't even get through the first two pages.

Are you careful of buying books?

Yes very much so. I wasn't yesterday night because it was my prize money for being highest of my class, but when it is my parents' money i just hold my hand and let myself buy 2 or 3 books per trip. (These trips happen twice or thricee every month so i can't say i deprived )

Paperback, hardback or ebook?

I definitely prefer hard copies of the books don't matter much to me if it is paperback or hardback.

Do you have multiple editions of books?

No :"(

message 4: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Ciampichini Inge wrote: "Finnikin of the Rock has been on my TBR for years and years, so when a friend of mine sold it for 2 euros, I couldn't resist."

Just added that one to my TBR. Thanks!

Which ones have you bought recently and why?
I started Michele Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series almost 10 years ago but somehow never finished even though I thought they were one of the best middle readers I've ever read. I recently bought the rest of the books in the series so I can finally reread/finish it!

If it's by an author I already love, has good reviews, or if it's a nonfiction book I need for research.

Catch-22. I bought it during my teenage years when I was trying to be all intellectual and read more of the "classics", but I could never get into it. Barely got anywhere and did not finish.

I'm careful now because I try not to spend a lot of money in general. I spent way too much money on books and cds in my college years and I'm actually getting rid of quite a few now that I don't care too much for. I listen to a lot of audiobooks for free from my local library now.

Paperbacks because they are more economical, but I will buy hardcover if it's a new release from one of my favorite authors or a special edition. I can't do ebooks. There's something about reading for a long time on a screen that prevents me from immersing myself in the story, I'm not sure how else to explain it. When I'm reading a physical book in my hands, I feel closer to the characters and the story. I should like ebooks more, because I try to live green, but I make up for it somewhat by buying a lot of books used.

I did by the boxed set of Tamora Pierce's Song of the Lioness series because she is one of my favorite authors and I just wanted to have a nice boxed set even though I already owned the series.

Caitie (caitiegirlreads) (caitiegirlreads) | 7 comments ...I've bought A LOT of books this year, I wanted to read more and then I started a Bookstagram account, now I buy books on a weekly basis when I used to only get one every few months! (In recent years)

The ones I am most excited about that I have not read yet are!
A Darker Shade of Magic
Ink
A Thousand Perfect Notes
The Queen of Tearling
Gemina
Spinning Silver
Fawkes
Snow Crash
Legendary (by Stephanie Garber)
Stiletto (by Daniel O'Malley)

I am a cover buyer... I know it's terrible, I judge by the cover! However, that doesn't mean I won't read a book just because it has a bad cover. I also tend to stick to authors I know and love, but this year I am branching out.

Green RiderGreen Rider by Kristen Britain... I did not get that book and gave it to Goodwill.

Impulsive! I walk out of Barnes and Noble with SO many! I am trying to be more careful now that my TBR has gotten infinitely longer.

Used to be ebook, then I started my Bookstagram so I am buying more hard copies of books and LOVING it. I still enjoy my ereader tho!

Only a few that happened randomly and when I got married and our book collections joined together. Shelf space is too precious and I'd rather spend the money on a new book!

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Danielle wrote: "Which ones have you bought recently and why?

Hmmm, let’s see...

Gathering Darkness (Falling Kingdoms #3) by Morgan Rhodes because I’m really loving this series and can’t seem to put them down or ..."

Is The Circle that movie with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks? I haven't seen it yet, but I've seen it pass by every once in a while. It does look good. I hope the book is good, too!

I downloaded the free sample of The Magicians on Amazon and couldn't get into it either. I know a sample is very limited, but I couldn't even finish that. It did sound really good, though. :(

message 7: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Elsa wrote: "I bought ten books in the last week alone. And almost 22 in the past two months.
So this is the list of books i bought this week:
A Court of Mist and Fury (already finished it and it was amazing! m..."

Wow, that is a lot of books! :D I totally agree that Lilly Singh is a goddess, and I hope you love ACOWAR just as much as the last book. I also approve of Uncle Rick. Congratulations on being the highest of your class! I'm sure they're super proud of you for buying books with that prize money :D

message 8: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Natalie wrote: "Inge wrote: "Finnikin of the Rock has been on my TBR for years and years, so when a friend of mine sold it for 2 euros, I couldn't resist."

Just added that one to my TBR. Thanks!

Which ones have ..."

It's really great that you're trying to be careful with your money, and being more economical! Have to say I never really got into classics. I've tried, but the writing style is just not for me. You wrote that you can't immerse yourself in a story with ebooks - do you feel the same about audiobooks?

message 9: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Caitie (caitiegirlreads) wrote: "...I've bought A LOT of books this year, I wanted to read more and then I started a Bookstagram account, now I buy books on a weekly basis when I used to only get one every few months! (In recent y..."

You muuuuuust read A Darker Shade of Magic! It's one of my all-time favourite series. I also really enjoyed A Thousand Perfect Notes. ^_^ Haha yeah, it's really hard to take pretty pictures of ebooks! I feel the same way about multiple editions - I'd rather spend my money on a new book.

message 10: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Which ones have you bought recently and why?
- Catwoman Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3) by Sarah J. Maas
- Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1) by Amanda Foody - all the status updates just made me click on the 'buy' button

- the hype around the book and its cover. Plus I buy everything Jay Kristoff and Mariana Zapata write :D

- And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White

- i am more careful now than a year ago..

- PAPERBACK! I love breaking spines and that you can see that the book was read many times

- nope. i rather buy another book than the one I already own. it's a waste of money for me

message 11: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Aug 27, 2018 02:45AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
1. Which ones have you bought recently and why?

Let's see, my most recent ones are:
- I Was Born For This, because I am a fan of Alice Oseman and I wanted a fun book to take with me on my trip to London.
- Blood Water Paint because I am an art historian and any book about female artists (there aren't many), especially Artemisia Gentileschi, is an automatic buy for me!
- The Silence of the Girls, because I love Greek Mythology and "Circe" made the eager for more stories.
- Homegoing, which is a book I read in February and stayed with me longer than I thought, so I decided to add it to my own library. :)
- Twelfth Night because I'm currently listening to a podcast about Shakespearean plays and now there are talking about this one. Plus, I don't have many comedies of the Bard yet so...here's a new one!

2. What makes you buy a book?
The topic mostly, and sometimes the author. If it's someone I know and love, like the thrillers by J.K. Rowling, I pretty much want to check them out.

3. What's a book you regret buying?
The hardback edition Children of Blood and Bone. The hype about it made me buy it, and although it's beautiful, I really didn't enjoy the story at all. :-|

4. Are you careful buying books or do you buy impulsively?
Careful. I don't have a lot of money, so I usually look at my finances, check reviews online, see if my library has it, and thén I decide if I want to buy the book.

5. Paperback, hardcover of ebook?
Mostly paperback, which are easier to take with me on journeys and on the train.

6. Do you have multiple editions of a book?
Only of Harry Potter! Those 20th years editions are so wonderful, I just had to buy them :)

message 12: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "Which ones have you bought recently and why?
- Catwoman Soulstealer (DC Icons, #3) by Sarah J. Maas
-Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1) by Amanda Foody - all the status updates just made me click on the 'buy' button

What ..."

I hope you love Ace of Shades, Luci! I really enjoyed that one. I also buy everything Jay Kristoff writes. :D

message 13: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "1. Which ones have you bought recently and why?

Let's see, my most recent ones are:
- I Was Born For This, because I am a fan of Alice Oseman and I wanted a fun book to take with m..."

Ha, yes, I think we all get a little less careful around Harry Potter editions... but seriously, stop giving us new Harry Potter editions!! Our wallets can't take it. 😂