Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

August - RECENTLY BOUGHT > What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Hello and welcome to a brand new month of the Of Wonderland Book Club!

This month's theme is... RECENTLY BOUGHT!

So yes, this theme is fairly straightforward! No buying books and then letting them sit on your shelf for the next three years - it's time to crack them open and read them right now! And if you still have to make a run to your local bookstore, well... we'll allow it this once. ;) The theme also works for books you've recently won or been given - any book that has recently come into your ownership counts.

I'm slowly crawling out of a massive reading slump, but I'm hoping to read at least one of the following:
- Lifel1k3
- Finnikin of the Rock
- Sea Witch
- When The Curtain Falls

Happy reading!
xo the Mistresses of Wonderland

What will you be reading?

message 2: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 17 comments Well, in August I will definitely be reading Record of a Spaceborn Few. Apart from that... I don't know!

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I bought 9 books in July (What's that you're saying? Book buying ban?? Never heard of that!) and most of them are huge books, but I would really like to read The Red Knight, The Shadow of What Was Lost and hopefully also Furies of Calderon.
I'm also taking part in the OWL readathon, so I tried to pick books for that that would also fit this month's theme :-) I didn't get around to joining the readathon when it was originally held, but some people are still doing it. August is actually the month of the NEWTS readathon, but you 'can't' participate if you didn't sit your OWLS.

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace Messimer (graceellenreads) | 9 comments I just ordered the book Sea Witch by Sarah Henning and I’m really excited to read it on the beach next week!

message 5: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments I bought Circe about a month ago, and I'm itching to finally crack it open. Yesterday, I bought Children of Blood and Bone for my brother, but I'm hoping to read that one before I go back to college.

message 6: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 17 comments Calina wrote: "I bought Circe about a month ago, and I'm itching to finally crack it open."

Oh my! DO IT DO IT. Absolutely amazing book.

message 7: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 10 comments Well, unless I read it for Booktubeathon, I'll probably read Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder.

message 8: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Abbie wrote: "Well, unless I read it for Booktubeathon, I'll probably read Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder."

Good one! I read the Poison series years ago but I remember Poison Study being the best and most thrilling of the series. Have fun Abbie :D

message 9: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Calina wrote: "I bought Circe about a month ago, and I'm itching to finally crack it open. Yesterday, I bought Children of Blood and Bone for my brother, but I'm hoping to read that one before I go back to college."

SAME! I got Circe for my birthday last month and I haven't had time to pick it up, but this month it's finally time.

message 10: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Aug 01, 2018 11:33AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
And apart from Circe, I have the following books on my TBR:

- I Was Born For This
- Blood Water Paint
- Sing, Unburied, Sing

I especially want to read "Sing, Unburied Sing" since I bought it at the beginning of this year and I somehow...still haven't read it :-|
So no excuses anymore, it's time to get reading!

message 11: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "Calina wrote: "I bought Circe about a month ago, and I'm itching to finally crack it open."

Oh my! DO IT DO IT. Absolutely amazing book."

When I picked it up in the bookstore, I had only planned to read the first page to see if I liked it, but I ended up a chapter in before I realized what I was doing lol

message 12: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi | 22 comments Puck wrote: "Calina wrote: "I bought Circe about a month ago, and I'm itching to finally crack it open. Yesterday, I bought Children of Blood and Bone for my brother, but I'm hoping to read that one before I go..."

Do I detect a buddy read?

message 13: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Calina wrote: "Puck wrote: "Calina wrote: "I bought Circe about a month ago, and I'm itching to finally crack it open. Yesterday, I bought Children of Blood and Bone for my brother, but I'm hoping to read that on..."

I would love that! I'll send you a PM about when we should start :)

message 14: by Cathy (last edited Aug 05, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Cathy I just finished The Poppy Way, which I bought the e-book of back when it was released and I've now started Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett. I really love Jenn Bennett's books for summertime, she writes the perfect YA romances and they are the perfect vacation read!

If I have time left for one more book that fits the theme, I will try to read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid or The Outsider by Stephen King.

message 15: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Grace wrote: "I just ordered the book Sea Witch by Sarah Henning and I’m really excited to read it on the beach next week!"

I'm really excited to read this as well! Have you started it?

message 16: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Natulcien wrote: "I bought 9 books in July (What's that you're saying? Book buying ban?? Never heard of that!) and most of them are huge books, but I would really like to read The Red Knight, [book:T..."

How are you faring with your OWLs/NEWTs, Natulcien?

message 17: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Cathy wrote: "I just finished The Poppy Way, which I bought the e-book of back when it was released and I've now started Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett. I really love Jenn Bennett's books for summertime, she writes..."

How did you like The Poppy War, Cathy? I really liked the Amazon sample, so I'm planning on buying it. Same for Evelyn Hugo!

message 18: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Inge wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "I bought 9 books in July (What's that you're saying? Book buying ban?? Never heard of that!) and most of them are huge books, but I would really like to read The Red Knight) but since I'm keeping it low key and aiming for 3 OWLs, I still have time to complete them :-)

message 19: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I hope everyone is enjoying August! It's not as warm anymore in the Netherlands as a week ago, so reading (outside) is a lot more pleasant. :)

I've been going on short vacations this month so this is the perfect time to read my recent buys to make time on the train/plane go faster. I think I'll start The Secret Garden next.

How is everybody else doing? Have your recent bought books proven to be amazing, or a bit of a letdown?

message 20: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Since I wasn't in the mood to continue with the OWLs readathon after finishing The Lies of Locke Lamora, I decided to pick up Traitor's Blade which was part of my August book haul :-)

message 21: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natulcien wrote: "Since I wasn't in the mood to continue with the OWLs readathon after finishing The Lies of Locke Lamora, I decided to pick up Traitor's Blade which was part of my Augu..."

Ooh have fun with that! The synopsis of Traitor's Blood sounds very good. What did you think of Locke Lamora?

message 22: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Puck wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "Since I wasn't in the mood to continue with the OWLs readathon after finishing The Lies of Locke Lamora, I decided to pick up Traitor's Blade which w..."

I absolutely loved The Lies of Locke Lamora, Locke is such a wonderfully developed character and I loooove his sarcasm :-)

message 23: by Emmiegilbs (new)

Emmiegilbs I just bought six or crows and I’m so excited to read it. Yes I’m VERY late on this book

message 24: by Geraard (new)

Geraard Van Heusden | 23 comments i'll give try for Quicksilver and the Baroque Cycle Wish me luck

message 25: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Emma wrote: "I just bought six or crows and I’m so excited to read it. Yes I’m VERY late on this book"

SoC and CK are some of my favourite books. Hope you enjoy it :-)