Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Thirteen Guests (Inspector Kendall #1)
This topic is about Thirteen Guests
Book Club Selection > Aug 2018 Group Read - Thirteen Guests, by J. Jefferson Farjeon

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3976 comments Mod
Thirteen Guests, by J. Jefferson Farjeon

""Thirteen Guests" is a forgotten country-house mystery story, written by English crime and mystery novelist, playwright and screenwriter J. (Joseph) Jefferson Farjeon (1883–1955): On a fine autumn weekend, Lord Aveling is hosting a hunting party at his country estate, Bragley Court. An actress, a journalist, an artist, and a mystery novelist are among his guests. Having been injured at the local train station and brought to the house to recuperate, John Foss is the unlucky thirteenth of the guests – and nurses a secret of his own.a Canadian journalist, novelist, historian, and social worker, about the Canadian gold rush that began in 1858. "

Discussion Leader - Vanessa
Link to book on Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2LcyHlR
Link to book on Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/2M8jxeJ

Beth Stewart | 568 comments Interesting how writing styles have changed. I found this one difficult to slog through and the dialogue, of course, was very different from today's books

I wasn't sure why John was included other than to make up the numbers. And poor Ann was almost nonexistent throughout the story, other than as a artists's model and to sit at her grandmother's bedside

The Inspector was a bit of a dud with no understanding of personalities.

While I like Agatha Christie's tales, written in the same era, I found this author's writing difficult to embrace

Erunyauve | 168 comments Just back from holiday, will be starting this one as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading.

Erunyauve | 168 comments I'm about 20% through the book - it's certainly not a quick read. I'm rather enjoying the writing style (I love Wodehouse, and not just because of the humour), but I do have to read a bit more carefully.