The YA Book Club discussion

What is the most overrated book you have ever read???

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Feran (new)

Feran | 20 comments What is the most overrated book you have ever read??

message 2: by AttWaq (new)

AttWaq | 72 comments Hunger Games

message 3: by Colca (new)

Colca | 75 comments Eragon. Everybody always talked about how it is awesome. but when I was reading it, I felt like dying of boredom. They were just travelling ALL THE TIME!!! I get why some people like it - there are dragons and that's good. Otherwise nothing to see at all...

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) | 505 comments I agree. Eragon wasn't a good novel. I also think Graceling is really overrated. After reading the first, I had no desire to read any more in the series.

message 5: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yken091) | 2 comments AttWaq wrote: "Hunger Games" Really? I've always loved the books, and they seemed solid. What didn't you like?

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 46 comments I agree w Eragon. I liked the movie better.

I also didn't like Cinder but all my GR friends loved it.

message 7: by Atlas (new)

Atlas (atlas13) | 3 comments The Giver, everyone disagrees with me on this one but I just didn't like it, the ending felt very incomplete but didn't seem like it would be filled by the other books in the series(granted I didn't read them so I don't really know). It also just seemed like the basic plotline of the majority of dystopian novels ever written. A corrupt government has its own views and makes the world lack of culture, personal beliefs/opinions, and/or persecuting people who are different. Then low and behold her comes the main character who discovers the corruptness of the government and comes to lead a revolt/rebellion.

The main character and a lot of the supporting characters also seemed to follow very basic and stereotypical guidelines.

message 8: by Atlas (new)

Atlas (atlas13) | 3 comments Another series I was seriously disappointed with was the Maze Runner, I read the first book and liked it pretty well, but then I read the second one and it was basically the same as the first. I also started(can't remember if I finished) the third book as well. Also seemed to follow the exact same plot as the first two. I didn't try reading any others after that.

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) | 505 comments I agree with you, Maddie. I really enjoyed the Maze Runner but thought the second was a rehash of the first. The third was a little better. But I think Kill Order, which was so-so, was written to piggyback on the popularity of the first three.

message 10: by Lea (new)

Lea | 65 comments Divergent- i like the plot and the overall idea, just not the books. When I read a popular and well loved series, such as divergent, i like to remember it, not word by word, but the characters, my favorite and least likeable. I would like to remember the highlights, all the funny and/or special moments. The problem with this was, i don't remember it, i don't remember the characters as something special, their quirks has simply dissapeard in my head. i ended up DNF'ing this series, idk when, probably in book 2, i do not remember.

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 52 comments Twilight. Sorry fandom but I could barely get through it. I found Bella to be agonizingly boring and Edward to be whiny. He was the male version of Debbie Downer. The characters I did like were not in it enough. I could not finish New Moon but I liked Eclipse. Still, I was not a big fan of the first at all. Why I tortured myself for 3 more books clearly shows I'm beyond help.

message 12: by Bibliogothica (new)

Bibliogothica Umm, I thought that the Infernal Devices series was a tad bit overrated.
I liked them, but I didn't think that they were "amazing".

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 1 comments Divergent series, the first book was good but the other two i got really bored in sorry.

message 14: by Dan (new)

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) | 505 comments I'm with you, Lauren. By the time I came to the end of Divergent, I lost interest in reading the next ones in the series. I didn't like the movie, either.

message 15: by J. (new)

J. Paper towns by John Green (or anything by John Green really). So many people get mad at me when I say this. Sorry aha

message 16: by Minnu (new)

Minnu | 2 comments A COURT OF FROST AND STARLIGHT- I personally didn’t like this book as much as I did the other three. It felt like more of a fan fiction rather than the continuation of the series to me. Also I didn’t like the way Sara portrayed my favourite characters after the war- they weren’t the same ones I fell in love with when I first read the book. It just didn’t meet my expectations really because the first three books where SO FREAKING GOOD. So yea.

PS: please don’t come @ me. It’s just an opinion *smiles sweetly*

message 17: by Hayden (new)

Hayden elizabeth | 7 comments I'd definitely say Stalking Jack the Ripper was overrated, and a let down. I figured out who Jack The Ripper was by the 3rd chapter, and the love interest is patterned after Sherlock Holmes, but although I liked him, the relationship never grabbed me. I was expecting something a bit... better. Sorry, but I just thought it was a huge let-down for all the good reviews. also- to all those Lovers of this book, sorry. it was a bit slow.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Anna and the French Kiss

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 30 comments City of bones, I can't stand it! I've tried at least four times to read it, or watch the show but I just can't get into it

message 20: by Haley (new)

Haley (haley_grace) | 3 comments Stalking Jack the Ripper. I wanted so badly to love it, but I just wasn’t into it. I liked the idea of the story, and the writing wasn’t bad. I guess it was a little slow for me up until the end, but maybe I could have just read it at the wrong time.

message 21: by Grace (new)

Grace Maddie wrote: "The Giver, everyone disagrees with me on this one but I just didn't like it, the ending felt very incomplete but didn't seem like it would be filled by the other books in the series(granted I didn'..."

I agree. I read the giver for a teen book club and my friends loved it. Though I enjoyed the story idea I felt like it wasn't thought through well and it was simple. That being said it is a childrens' book. I agree with you on the end as well. It wasn't clear whether they surrvived or died from hypothermia or what.

message 22: by Holly (new)

Holly Mae | 9 comments I might be slaughtered for this, but Game of Thrones. I’m reading them, and they’re okay, but compared to the show, I just think they’re a bit of a let down. I’m kinda dragging myself through it. No hate please, just my opinion.

message 23: by Bernie (new)

Bernie (Geckoreads) (geckoreads) | 23 comments Hunger Games, Divergent, Twilight... I am not sure if After by Anna Todd is considered an YA book but still, as much as I am exited for the movie, the book is not good. And the next one is worse and just the same stuff all over again for another three books.

message 24: by Nat (new)

Nat | 11 comments Truthfully, the fault in our Stars was the most awful book & overrated one I’ve ever read. (Other than hunger games.)

I predicted the ending of the fault in our stars, and hunger games I just didn’t like. Didn’t really connect with I guess? The main female character was heavily annoying and just eh.

With the fault in our stars, I felt like it was such a basic plot line. Everyone said “ending is such a plot twist.” And I guessed the ending dead on. I knew exactly what the plot twist was and I never watched the movie.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Woollard | 1 comments Divergent and twilight, both series I enjoyed the first books but felt they just go downhill from there. I don’t know if it is because I had seen the movies before I read the books but I didn’t really enjoy the movies either. So I think that influenced my opinion on the books.

message 26: by Rida (new)

Rida Imran  (ridaimran) Darkest Minds, Time Machine, Mortal Instruments

message 27: by Jasiya (new)

Jasiya | 61 comments Raven cycle, Hunger game, six of crows

message 28: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Williams (rebekahinwonderland) The Power of One

message 29: by Bri (new)

Bri | 1 comments Red Queen probably

message 30: by Suzy (new)

Suzy | 236 comments Probably Caraval...that book had so much hype and I remember after completing it I thought, "that was not as good as everyone was saying." Pretty average book that had nothing that made it special or stand out...

message 31: by Marisela (new)

Marisela (mariselaa) | 6 comments The Night Circus. It was so boring. I couldn’t even get through the whole book.

message 32: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Portinari (owl07) Jessica wrote: "Divergent and twilight, both series I enjoyed the first books but felt they just go downhill from there. I don’t know if it is because I had seen the movies before I read the books but I didn’t rea..."

Same!

message 33: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Allen A Court of Thorns and Roses.

message 34: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Allen Allison wrote: "Twilight. Sorry fandom but I could barely get through it. I found Bella to be agonizingly boring and Edward to be whiny. He was the male version of Debbie Downer. The characters I did like were not..." I didn't like Bella or Edward, but I loved Jasper, Alice and the Quileute parts.

message 35: by KossK (new)

KossK | 8 comments Felicia wrote: "A Court of Thorns and Roses."
I absolutely LOVED A Court of Thorns and Roses. The first 2 books in the series are great, but in the third one, it starts to go downhill.

message 36: by KossK (new)

KossK | 8 comments The Darkest Minds.

I let a friend convince me into buying it, and after 80 pages it's still sitting on the table, untouched.

message 37: by Maria (new)

Maria | 1 comments Maze Runner Series -

The 1st book intrigued me, but I felt like it plateaued almost immediately after that.
I have no idea why they needed to go to the scorch lands.
And in the 3rd book, Thomas ends up in a room for days on end WITH NO REASON. I was confusion.
Interestingly enough, the prequel was way better than the other ones put together.

Divergent -
I struggled through the first book and never bothered reading the rest - it read so slow, no action - it was like reading a really boring blog of someone's life.

message 38: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Ag (thomasag) | 7 comments the Bible. Over read but not understood.

message 39: by A_Girl_Reads (new)

A_Girl_Reads | 17 comments The Shades of Magic trilogy! V.E. Schwab cannot seem to combine character development and action scenes in one book. Every installment was lacking either of those things.

message 40: by Kristýna (new)

Kristýna | 10 comments The Selection, I dislike main heroin so much and the story was ok but not great.

message 41: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amaelea) | 5 comments Minnu wrote: "A COURT OF FROST AND STARLIGHT- I personally didn’t like this book as much as I did the other three. It felt like more of a fan fiction rather than the continuation of the series to me. Also I didn..."
Honestly I completely agree I couldn't finish that one at all and I didn't even get to yule!

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris Breedlove) (chrisstevenson) | 18 comments I'm gonna go out here in left field and say, tempting a good tar and feathering, but DUNE. Way too much politics and backstory for me. It was a slug for me to start three times and I could never get through it.
Twilight (shoot me now) but it showed little in the voice/style reflection for me. Needed editing. Had some great hooks, but not deserving of the hype it got, much less a film franchise. I would have taken one of Anne Rice's better books to celluloid.

message 43: by Annabell (new)

Annabell | 12 comments Surprisingly After By Anna Todd. Saw the movie loved it was so pumped to read the book and am really disliking it it’s boring and repetitive and much to detail particularly surrounding the intimacy of their relationship. Would not recommend to young readers even though that’s who it appears to be for. Actually very disappointed with it to be honest :(

message 44: by Bernie (new)

Bernie (Geckoreads) (geckoreads) | 23 comments City of bones...

message 45: by Tamika (new)

Tamika (tamikauploaded) | 7 comments nine perfect strangers..... just plain horrible.

message 46: by Critter (new)

Critter (abookwormcalledcritter) | 497 comments The Darkest Minds, it started off strongly but it has just fizzled out.

message 47: by Annabell (new)

Annabell | 12 comments ^^^ What no I personally adored the Darkest Minds but I can see where you are coming from

message 48: by Tadeja (new)

Tadeja (taedy) The Mortal Instruments series. I read the first 3 and they're just mediocre to me

message 49: by Jazmine (new)

Jazmine Jamieson | 2 comments Mocking Jay

Pietrisycamollaviadelrechiotemexity | 56 comments Divergent and the lord of flies (what a stretch lol)

« previous 1 3