The Great American Read discussion

Old Posts 2018 > Life imitates art imitates life - connections to real life

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
What connections are you seeing between literature and the real world?

I was wrong about 1984. Suddenly I'm seeing examples everywhere of 1984 connections to our current government and world. Here is just one example:

Last week Trump said this:
“Just remember, what you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.”
- @realDonaldTrump at Veterans of Foreign Wars convention, Kansas City

Orwell said this in 1984:
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

message 2: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
It was a bit controversial, when I mentioned it in the Handmaid's Tale thread ... But I do see a lot of parallels to our current political environment in that book. Especially the separating of families as a means towards authoritarianism.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "What connections are you seeing between literature and the real world?

I was wrong about 1984. Suddenly I'm seeing examples everywhere of 1984 connections to our current government and world. Her..."

Too scary to think about........

message 4: by Jerome (new)

Jerome (tnjed01) | 21 comments J. wrote: "It was a bit controversial, when I mentioned it in the Handmaid's Tale thread ... But I do see a lot of parallels to our current political environment in that book. Especially the separating of fam..."

Accuracy is controversial. How's that for Orwellian?

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Agreed!

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Oct 09, 2018 04:43AM) (new)

I just saw a Tom Sawyer moment in a TV show. A male doctor took the blame for a mistake made by a female colleague, even though she had just admitted to it. It marked a change in the relationship between these feuding colleagues. It reminded me of a scenario with Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher. It's how he got her to like him.

Come to think of it, I've also seen this trick used in other books or movies by spies or con men who were trying to gain the trust of someone.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (skullfullofbooks) NancyJ wrote: "I just saw a Tom Sawyer moment in a TV show. A male doctor took the blame for a mistake made by a female colleague, even though she had just admitted to it. It marked a change in the relationship b..."

It's used in organized crime a lot. Goodfellas was known for it. Im not sure if something similar occurred in Godfather, but I wouldnt be surprised.