Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

General Discussion > Do you prefer short stories or full-length novels?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiersten, Mod (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 501 comments Mod
I personally lean toward full-length novels, but every now and again I just wan't something short and quick. Not often, mind you, but on occasion. Full disclosure, I'm kind of looking for recommendations, too. I'm hard at work on my next book and can't get into something that's super long and is going to suck up all my time.

message 2: by M.H. (new)

M.H. Barton (auguy86) | 8 comments I'm all for anything that manages to blend great characters, a believable story, and a fun sexy setting together all while giving said characters and plot great development. And while that might seem to trend towards novels, there are few things more impressive to me than when an author is able to do all this in the span of 25k words or less. One great example I've read of this recently is "The Snow Maid" by Glaze72. His works are posted on Literotica. It's a short, easy read, but there's so much quality packed into one little story.

message 3: by Sela (last edited Aug 20, 2018 04:02PM) (new)

Sela (selacarsen) | 30 comments As often as not, I'll pick a short or novella over a full-length novel. I do a lot of reading before bed, and I'd like something I can finish, rather than having to put it down when I get sleepy (not because the story's boring - I'm just sleepy!) then pick it back up again later.

And as MH said, there's a particular gift in being able to tell a fully developed story in less than 30K. I admire it.

If you're looking for straight SF, I highly recommend Martha Wells Murderbot series, beginning with All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells

Marjorie Liu wrote some utterly gorgeous shorts when she was writing PNR. One of my favorites is Minotaur in Stone by Marjorie M. Liu

I, er, also write novella length PNR and SFR. ;)

message 4: by Marnee (new)

Marnee (marnee1369) I enjoy any book that holds my interest but I do tend to lean towards full length cause when I really get into a book I never want it to end and when it does I generally scream (in my head of course) cause I still believe it ended to soon for me. This is even worse when you get a really good short story but than also some short stories are so awesome at the start than the author remembers they are meant to be short and rushes the ending killing the story. So I do prefer full length over short but do read both

Helena#bookdreamer | 5 comments Long novels. I love well developed characters.

message 6: by Sritama (new)

Sritama Mondal | 16 comments Long novels, please. Endless hours of hunting, failing, loving and experiencing new dimensions alongside the characters is my salvation.