Around the World discussion

Asia > Tibet recommendations

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jul 30, 2018 08:38PM) (new)

Andrea | 835 comments Mod
I’m visiting Tibet for the first time in September and am looking for something reasonably contemporary and atmospheric to read while I’m there. I haven’t read a great deal about Tibet, but in recent years I have enjoyed Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet, Kissed By A Deer and Running on the Roof of the World, but could not get into The Skull Mantra.

Any recommendations?

message 2: by Lilisa (last edited Jul 30, 2018 10:32PM) (new)

Lilisa | 1897 comments Mod
Hi Andrea - here's a link to my Tibet list - https://www.goodreads.com/review/list.... I've read Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet like you and The Dragon in the Land of Snows: A History of Modern Tibet Since 1947, which although interesting, reads like a history book. I have Princess in Land of Snows: The Life of Jamyang Sakya in Tibet, which I hope to read in the next couple of months - it has a 4.33 rating. Enjoy Tibet!

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Lilisa wrote: "Hi Andrea - here's a link to my Tibet list. I've read Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet like you and [book:The Dragon in the Land of Snows: A History of Modern Tibet Since 1947|..."

Thanks Lilisa - the history sounds a bit heavy, but the memoir could be a contender.

I guess I'm probably looking mainly for memoir, good travel-writing or fiction (that I can learn something from). It's always hard to predict what I might feel like reading!

message 4: by Andrea (new)

I have a plan. I pulled Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet off my bookshelf and remembered how short it was, so I might re-read that before I go. I've also reserved the DVD of Kundun from my local library - should only take a couple of days to be ready for me.

Then, while I'm in Tibet I'm going to read To a Mountain in Tibet by Colin Thubron.

message 5: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 1897 comments Mod
Sounds like a good plan, Andrea. A few more weeks to go - have a great time and safe travels!