Play Book Tag discussion

From a Low and Quiet Sea
This topic is about From a Low and Quiet Sea
Archive: Other Books > From a Low and Quiet Sea - Donal Ryan - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments Book three of my Man Booker longlist reading, I listened to From a Low and Quiet Sea in audio and it was underdone for me. Three character studies that are loosely connected in a fourth story, I loved the first story and would give that five stars as a standalone, but the other three lacked the depth I was looking for and left me feeling bored. I appreciated that the writing was well crafted, and the prose beautiful, but the stories themselves didn't hold my interest. Three stars and I'm happy to be moving on.

KateNZ | 2609 comments Maybe glad I haven’t got this one yet ...

Susie | 4488 comments I think Tracy liked it more than I did, so don’t give up on it just yet.

Tracy (tstan) | 1218 comments I did like it. I listened to it, too. It wasn’t perfect, but I loved his descriptions, and I was invested in the characters. The connections in the last section were loose, but I was surprised by parts of the section, and that rarely happens for me.
It’s a stark setting, but rich writing.

Susie | 4488 comments I think I was half tuned out by the end to be honest so I probably didn’t appreciate it as much as I could. I almost want to go back and read it instead of listening and see if that makes a difference to my enjoyment.