Play Book Tag discussion

The Water Cure
This topic is about The Water Cure
July 2018: Dystopian > The Water Cure - Sophie Mackintosh - 5 stars - Listopia

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments The Man Booker 2018 longlist has delivered me my first five star book. I LOVED The Water Cure, and it nicely fits the dystopia tag too. The judges said that this debut novel 'unpicks patriarchy at its core', and that it does. It is told from the perspective of three sisters who are isolated on an island, kept safe from the toxin filled world and from lethal men who would harm them. The girls live with their parents, and are visited by women who are there to seek the cure. The father has devised a series of 'therapies' to keep the girls safe, such as being held under water until they are at the brink of death. Three men wash up from the sea and set up camp on the island with the girls, and the dynamic is turned on its head.

Dark and mysterious and creepy and beautifully crafted, I loved everything about it. The cause of their plight is ambiguous, so if you are a person who needs answers and want their stories wrapped up rather than left hanging then this might not be for you. The audiobook was exceptionally well done, and I do believe that I will go back and read the print version at some stage too, that's how much I liked it.

message 2: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2504 comments Ooh!

message 3: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3884 comments This sounds interesting. Thanks for your review. I'm adding it.

Tracy (tstan) | 1207 comments My copy is On its way from the UK...

Susie | 4488 comments I hope you like it Tracy!

Susie | 4488 comments And Joy, and Kate!

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments My copy is on its way from the library. Really looking forward to it after your review.

Susie | 4488 comments I think it will be a win for you Sara.

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments I can't wait to get to this one . . .! Whether to read it before or after Warlight. That is the question. Is it a fast read, Susie?

Susie | 4488 comments I listened to the audio and it was quite short. I think it’s only 240 pages, and I found it compelling so I zoomed through it.

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Susie wrote: "I listened to the audio and it was quite short. I think it’s only 240 pages, and I found it compelling so I zoomed through it."

Thank you! That information helps. I may try to squeeze it in before Warlight. Need to finish Mars Room already.

message 12: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2504 comments Just finished The Mars Room. Very good writing and insightful - harrowing in a couple of places. I can see why it made the list but overall I found it rather hard going as a story - everything and everyone felt like it was there to make a point rather than just to be ...

Susie | 4488 comments Kate and Anita, do you think The Mars Room would lend itself to audio?

Susie | 4488 comments Strike that. I just listened to the sample. It’s read by the author. Never a good idea, unless you are Neil Gaiman.

message 15: by Steve (new)

Steve | 6 comments @ KateNZ -I've found that many works of fiction have something of a point to make. I've heard that writers start with topics they are obsessed about which makes sense-at the very least you'd want to write about things that are of interest to you. This is more obvious in some books then others of course, but when it's more of a focus to the plot then then story....gahhhh.

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve | 6 comments I still want to read it though.

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments KateNZ wrote: "Just finished The Mars Room. Very good writing and insightful - harrowing in a couple of places. I can see why it made the list but overall I found it rather hard going as a story - everything and ..."

I'm 80% of the way through, and I'm laughing because I read Steve's comment before yours, and the first thing I thought was "sounds like he is talking about Mars Room . . ." - - and lo and behold he was! I feel we are going to agree. I am engaged, but it reads like non-fiction to me - - like someone did a LOT of research and really let it dominate the book as opposed to the storytelling.

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Susie wrote: "Kate and Anita, do you think The Mars Room would lend itself to audio?"

Personally, I think it would be completely fine as audio (which as you know I have zero context for making recommendations, but some books stand out to me as there's no way I would be able to know what was going on with audio. This one seems like it would be fine - - just go in knowing it's a bit disjointed, but not in a hard to grasp way.

message 19: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2504 comments I think it would work as audio, Susie. Will depend a lot on who reads, to get the character voices (there are lots and they’d need to be right) - but could be engaging

message 20: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2504 comments @Steve - I often like books with a message (and this is no exception - it’s a very good book, and she’s developed some very genuine voices for her characters), but I agree that writers need to be careful not to let the research detail dominate to the detriment of the story. Definitely worth reading though - go for it!