Play Book Tag discussion

Snap
This topic is about Snap
Archive: Other Books > Snap by Belinda Bauer - 4 stars - Listopia

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments Snap by Belinda Bauer is the first on my Man Booker 2018 longlist reads. As a crime thriller it was a surprise additon to the list, and after having read it I am still surprised that it is there. Don't get me wrong, it is a great crime novel, or which I have read loads. I spend most of my twenties reading crime fiction. The Man Booker judges have stated that they included the novel as it transcends genre and called it an 'acute, stylist, intelligent novel about how we survive trauma' which 'undermines the tropes of its own genre and leaves us with something that lingers'. Whilst I agree with all of those things, when I compare it to some of the other books on the list, a few of which I have now read, it just doesn't make the grade for me. I'm not going to remember it like I will some of the other Booker novels I have read. Nonetheless it is a great book that will have you turning pages well in to the night.

KateNZ | 2211 comments Maybe not one for the shortlist then ... It’s the next on my list to read after The Mars Room

Susie | 4488 comments I will be surprised if it is shortlist, although I said that about Emmet last year.

Susie | 4488 comments Autocorrect! Elmet.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I’ll read it if it makes the shortlist. This genre isn’t my thing.

Susie | 4488 comments It’s not genre-defying enough to change the fact that it’s a crime novel either.

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Interesting this made the longlist. Sounds like my kind of read.

Also- GR is currently doing a giveaway for this now!