The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > August 2018 Group Read - Final Girls (spoiler thread)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill This is the thread for spoiler comments for anyone who has already read the book.

Enjoy

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hey everyone. I confess that I haven't completed the book yet (bad discussion leader!). In my defense though, I have been really sick and was in the ER for hours yesterday thinking the worst. Luckily they sent me home and said I'll be okay. So I can finish reading the book ASAP. But that said, I did start the book and have made some notes on it, including a short primary characters list from the characters that had appeared so far in my reading. I look forward to taking this reading journey with you all! (I may end up adding to the character list but here's what we've got so far)

~*~*~*~*

Character List

Final Girls character list

Quincy Carpenter - A 'Final Girl', she suffers from dissociative amnesia following a brutal attack years before at Pine Cottage that left several of her friends dead. Currently, she lives in New York City with her almost-fiancé Jeff.
Jeff - A public defender, he lives with Quincy. He has yet to propose to her.
Coop - A former Marine, he is the police officer who saved Quincy the fateful night she and her friends were attacked at Pine Cottage. He has stayed in touch with her ever since.
Him - The nameless man who committed the atrocities at Pine Cottage.
Samantha Boyd - Another 'Final Girl'.
Lisa Milner - A 'Final Girl', she wrote a memoir after surviving an attack in a sorority house where 9 of her "sisters" were brutally murdered.
Janelle - One of Quincy's dead friends who met a bitter end at Pine Cottage.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I decided to post my comments on every other chapter starting with chapter 3 to maybe get some conversation going in this thread :)

Chapter 3

We get to know more about Lisa and that she reached out to Quincy following Pine Cottage. Quincy wonders why Lisa would kill herself with a knife when that's how she was almost done in years before by her attacker (this is leading somewhere IMO). Samantha, she has never met. Quincy suffers(ed) from anorexia which is interesting given that she runs a baking blog now.

We get our first glimpse/flashback at the early events of Pine Cottage, specifically the group arriving. Janelle, Quincy's friend and college roommate, is encouraging Quincy to give up her virginity to good-looking Craig.

I think the book is building to something but it's a tad slow getting there!

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) In case anyone's interested, I've written a very short review with spoilers: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I liked the book but I don't think it'll stay with me for a long time.

[Dlyn, I hope things are back to normal for you.]

message 5: by Shanequa (new)

Shanequa (cameoutbesotted) | 27 comments Yeah, I feel the same way Marina. I liked the book well enough but it's not something that I feel I would read again.

message 7: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3 comments I am on page 225 and I really have a bad feeling about Sam. She is certainly a manipulative character and so far she has pushed Quincy into 1) drinking to the point of drunkenness 2) overmedicating with Xanax 3) stealing 4) endangering herself in a middle of the night in Central Park. I am wondering whether she was involved in Lisa’s apparent suicide.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria I'm usually pretty good at predicting the twists in a story but this one got me surprised over and over again so well done!

message 9: by Angel (new)

Angel Hartline (angeltown) | 18 comments I actually got to both books this month - woot!

This one isn't going to make my faves:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

And Rosemary, totally agree about Sam. Don't you just want to shake Quincy and say, 'Say no to peer pressure!' LOL.

message 10: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3 comments Did not see that coming, I was totally surprised by the ending!

message 11: by Shanequa (new)

Shanequa (cameoutbesotted) | 27 comments Rosemary wrote: "Did not see that coming, I was totally surprised by the ending!"

Yeah, I was really surprised too! That was one thing I did really like about the book. I love when they take me by surprise.

message 12: by Phil Collins (new)

Phil Collins (philadelphia_collins) Did anybody else feel like there were too many red herrings in this book? I liked the twist but I think maybe we could have gotten then a lot sooner.

message 13: by Joelle (new)

Joelle Egan | 96 comments Just finished Final Girls.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I did not intend to do this, but this might be my 5th book that focuses on an "unreliable female narrator who has lost her memory about a tragic event and abuses substances to cope, suddenly discovering a major betrayal/plot twist." Is it me, or have there just been a ton of these since Girl on a Train and Sharp Objects came out?

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Harrison | 8 comments I’ve just finished this and agree with the other comments that it won’t be one I will rave about. The first half of the book was really slow going, and I did wonder where the “thriller” bit would start. I’d read reviews saying people were too scared to sleep after reading it. Really? I think I have probably read too many of these psychological thrillers now as I did guess the twist before it was revealed but the motive seems pretty bland. I think the ending was pretty poor. Still I now know what a bong and Xanax are as I had to look them up.

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 24 comments I just finished it and I loved it. I was blown away by the ending and I'm getting ready to read his next book.