The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > August 2018 Group Read - Final Girls

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5458 comments This is the group read thread for Final Girls by Riley Sager. Dlyn will be the moderator for this group read.

I'll set up a separate thread for spoiler comments for those who have already read the book.

Enjoy.

message 2: by Bill (new)

Bill | 5458 comments This is the link to the spoiler thread.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Lynn (last edited Jul 31, 2018 04:54PM) (new)

Lynn Hello, everyone! I am so excited to talk about this book with you. I sincerely hope you will enjoy it and that we'll have a fun, engaging discussion!!

message 4: by Lynn (last edited Jul 31, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

Lynn Here are some little factoids that I thought were worth sharing:

- Riley Sager just came out with a new book recently titled The Last Time I Lied.

- Riley Sager is actually a pen-name. Todd Ritter is the author's real name. He has written a few books under his own name, including Death Notice & Vicious Circle.

Here's an old article I found that addresses the reason he (and other male writers!) is writing under a more gender-neutral pseudonym:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/sho...

I thought it was interesting enough to share. Do with it as you please :)

- Final Girl, according to the book, is a "film-geek" term for the last woman standing at the end of a horror movie.

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Interesting article, thanks Dlyn. I didn't know anything about this. I knew that many women authors, especially in the past, though not only in the past, wrote under male names to disguise their identity. I also knew about Yasmina Khadra being a man. Apart from that, I had no idea that many male authors decided to write under a gender neutral pen name. I find this interesting.

I have downloaded the ebook yesterday. I didn't know it before but I found it alluring. I hope I'll be able to start reading soon-ish.

message 6: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 926 comments This book looks very good.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Does anyone have any thoughts on the book so far? I am definitely curious to hear them!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 24 comments I've wanted to read this for a while and I'm hoping to start it this weekend.

message 9: by Shanequa (new)

Shanequa (cameoutbesotted) | 27 comments I read this book a couple months ago! I'm a sucker for a good whodunit so when the book focused on figuring out what happened to Quincey I was really interested in the book. The aspects of the book outside of that (everything going on in the present with Sam) didn't enthrall me quite as much but it was still enjoyable! I won't spoil it but the reveal of what really happened that night was the highlight of the book for me. I'm not the greatest at picking up clues (so being a detective is never in my future haha) so I'm sure others will figure it out right away but it was pretty shocking for me.

message 10: by Marina (last edited Aug 07, 2018 01:37AM) (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I've started reading yesterday night. Not a good idea - I won't go so far as to say it gave me nightmares, but still I didn't sleep very peacefully. Other than that, something bothered me at the very beginning, but I will talk about it in the spoiler thread as soon as I finish the book.

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn The book has a real slasher movie-esque feel to it. I can see why it might be disturbing for some people's sleep patterns for sure.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Harrison | 8 comments My copy has just arrived from the library so looking forward to immersing myself in it. Thank you for telling me who Riley Sager is as it will save me from googling 😀

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria Final review:

I've always wondered what happened to the "final girls" after the movie ended and this was a great answer to that. It was part reflection on what happens to someone in that situation and part really great mystery with surprising twists. Well-done!