2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)
This topic is about The A.B.C. Murders
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The ABC Murders

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Agatha Christie‘s book, The A.B.C. Murders.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Satin, Ra, Dyln, Kiriko

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 63
Week 2: 63
Week 3: 63
Week 4: 63

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Exciting! I am certainly looking forward to this discussion!

message 4: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Awesome! I’m going to the beach and will start reading there!

Kiriko | 21 comments Sweet, added it to my currently reading and I can't wait to go home (still at work on my side of the world) and start.

Just a head's up I tend to try to guess who did it pretty early on, but I can keep my thoughts to myself hehe

message 6: by Lynn (last edited Aug 01, 2018 01:35AM) (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Kiriko wrote: "Sweet, added it to my currently reading and I can't wait to go home (still at work on my side of the world) and start.

Just a head's up I tend to try to guess who did it pretty early on, but I ca..."

Trying to guess whodunit is the best part IMO :)

message 7: by Ra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ra Da | 13 comments Yaay! Should probably come clean that I have seen a film of this... Hopefully the book will be totally different.

message 8: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Hello everyone! What page is everyone on for the book? I’ve been really caught up with reading A Torch Against the night by Sabaa Tahir, so I haven’t gotten farther than page 20 yet. How does everyone like it?

message 9: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Hello again! I’m currently reading the book. I got to this quote that I really loved. The one on page 18-19. Not sure if it’s a spoiler. How’s everyone liking the book? I love the Christie novels that are narrated by Hastings, so I’ve gotta say I was pleased about this!

message 10: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments I just got to page 63. I’m loving it so far. I find the mystery very interesting.

message 11: by Ra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ra Da | 13 comments Hi got to page 68 in mine. Which quote is that Satin?

I am interested in the way Poirot and Hastings seem to predict the perfect crime...these seem to be plot summaries for other Christie books. Cards on the table anyone?

Plus hair dye? Wigs?

I remember a police inspector years ago in a tv detective documentary saying his main suspect would be Poirot. Tbh Poirot would be mine as well so far...the psychology quote on page 53 is quite revealing.

message 12: by Ra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ra Da | 13 comments Can I just ask... Should we stick to the weekly page guidelines, given that this is quite a page turned type thing? Happy either way personally.

message 13: by Ra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ra Da | 13 comments *turner

message 14: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments I personally couldn’t stop myself from reading ahead. I think it’d be okay to read ahead. The quote I talked about was more of a conversation. It was the one between poiroit and Hastings where poiroit finishes off by Saying something along the lines of “because this is Murder.” I just realize you might’ve not found the quote because I’m reading it as an ebook. So I guess the page numbers must be different. I’ll find the conversation and put it here. Happy reading!

message 15: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments What does everyone think about ABC the anonymous person?
PS: Has anyone read any other mystery books where the main character receives anonymous letters?

message 16: by Lynn (last edited Aug 04, 2018 06:23PM) (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Hey, all. I haven't gotten to start the book. I *think* I can start it tonight though, barring all interruptions lol As for the page counts listed above, it's just a Suggestion. Read at your own pace. I can't wait to discuss this with everyone when I've delved into it!

message 17: by Mary Pat (last edited Aug 04, 2018 01:47PM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Ra wrote: "Can I just ask... Should we stick to the weekly page guidelines, given that this is quite a page turned type thing? Happy either way personally."

Hi, Ra! The page numbers are simply a guideline and I find that everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read.

Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Kiriko | 21 comments Yikes, so I started reading and Ra you are right it is a page turner, but then I saw the 'guidelines' so I figured week 1 was this week (ending 11/08/2018) and I wanted to pace myself for this week so I'm only on page 34.

Kiriko | 21 comments Anyway, I'm fairly confident I can catch up tonight. What I loved about this book is that isn't like the other Hercule Poirot books I've read. I mean I'm really glad to be reading from the POV of Hastings again but (view spoiler)

So from what I read so far (which isn't that much at the moment) there is a murder (not a spoiler there is always a murder hehe) and currently there are no suspects and no motive for the book as a whole, I know the Andover police are suspecting her (view spoiler).

I've come to learn that in an Agatha Christie Novel, everyone is a suspect. Totally excited about the
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments I agree with everyone on this matter! I think police suspect the {spoilers removed} person. I think that’d be too simple for an Agatha Christie. So I don’t think { spoilers removed} did the murder of { spoilers removed} Does everyone like how the story is told from Hastings POV? I personally really enjoy that, I’ve been reading other books, but I think I have some quality time this afternoon to read The ABC Murders.

message 21: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Hi everyone! How far is everyone into the book?

message 22: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments I’m really liking this one. Has anyone picked up on any of the clues Hercule Poiroit notices?

message 23: by Ra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ra Da | 13 comments Hey got to about page 200. Was thinking who you think fits the psychological profile Poirot made for the killer?

message 24: by Ra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ra Da | 13 comments And that (spoiler)the 3 ABC murders have all taken place within about 100 pages. (/spoiler) It's an interesting approach, because we presumably work out the premise and Christie doesn't want to give us long periods to notice the clues...

message 25: by Satin (new) - added it

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments I haven’t gotten to page 200(sadly), but I do think it’s interesting to see how Christie is wrapping up quickly. I haven’t quite figured out any thing yet. I’m far behind you all lol. But I will read more today and hopefully update then:)

message 26: by Kiriko (last edited Aug 14, 2018 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kiriko | 21 comments I'm way behind I'm only about page 154 or XX. Lady Clarke chapter in my version (pdf)

I have to say Miss Grey is highly suspect. (view spoiler)

So I had this crazy theory (view spoiler)

Anyway, completely discarded that theory after reading the last 3 chapters (view spoiler)

Kiriko | 21 comments Ra wrote: "And that (spoiler)the 3 ABC murders have all taken place within about 100 pages. (/spoiler) It's an interesting approach, because we presumably work out the premise and Christie doesn't want to giv..."

To be honest, I'm not even sure I'm picking up clues at all. But these is what I've noted so far:

(view spoiler)

Kiriko | 21 comments On a side note, who do you think will end up together (I loved the matchmaking aspect of The Mysterious Affair at Styles

My bet: (view spoiler)

Kiriko | 21 comments Kiriko wrote: "On a side note, who do you think will end up together (I loved the matchmaking aspect of The Mysterious Affair at Styles

My bet: [spoilers removed]"

Sooooo close!!!!

message 30: by Ra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ra Da | 13 comments Yep, I think Megan and Fraser should definitely end up together. What about Mary Drower? I think Thora Grey is too interesting for Clarke.

message 31: by Ra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ra Da | 13 comments How has everyone got on? Do you think the ending was a good twist on what we expected? Personally, I think it's very Christie to do something that makes sense of the world, [spoilers]rather than a ravening psychopath, and Poirot's clues were as usual really useful in retrospect, but not too easy... [/spoilers]

How much does everyone think Poirot actually does use psychology versus detailed detection?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.