Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)
This topic is about Tyrant's Throne
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Tyrant's Throne

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
July 31st.

Link to retired BR here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Thank you so much. This is a buddy-rant for Bill and Mayim. Thos joining please be aware of the sinister purpose of this thread :D

Bill I saw you are so far ahead! Don't tell me the book is so good?

Bill | 2130 comments I actually finished it. It wasn’t due to it being any better than the last. I was able to listen while I worked yesterday then just kept going after I got home.

It had one new thing that majorly pissed me off. I’m going to wait a bit to start ranting though so we can vent together.

Bill | 2130 comments I just looked through the old thread and looks like our ranting idea isn’t that original. They had a lot of the same problems with the series. Good to know we aren’t alone.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Lol, Scott told me that if I didn't like the previous, I will need to ask Goodreads for negative ratings :D

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 3 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I came really close to quitting this a hundred pages in. The middle got me through but the ending is poor.

message 7: by Bill (last edited Jul 31, 2018 05:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2130 comments Mayim wrote: "Lol, Scott told me that if I didn't like the previous, I will need to ask Goodreads for negative ratings :D"

Lol I think you may need to do that.

Scott wrote: "I came really close to quitting this a hundred pages in. The middle got me through but the ending is poor."

Agreed. Took me a long time to figure out where the hell the book was going.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I still don't know what is going on. For now I am busy figuring out how does one hide a shield under a monk's robe. (please note, on my cover KEst has a ROUND shield, not a tear-shaped one. The latter would be admittedly easier to hide, still a peson would look like a hunchback no?)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments The chats they have when they are supposed to be fighting are killing me.
When best to divulge your marital plans? When surrounded and in a fierce battle of course. It is so unreal, the banter during fighting scenes, I mean. It gives me an impression of a choreographed scene in a bad comedy.

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2130 comments I think that was my biggest gripe with the series. It took away any sort of flow in the action.

I didn’t think of it. Great point with the shield but you know Falcio is so clever that he had some great way to do it.

message 11: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments OK, let's become noble pirates idea epitomises the problem I have with this kind of banter. The problem is that the conversations are funny only because you turn one protagonist into an idiot. What kind of a douche bag one has to be to come up with something like this (and then the other two just pick up the idea and analyse it!!!)

Please Mr de Castell. You can have a banter with intelligent characters. And you can keep it funny. It's possible I promise.

message 12: by Mayim (new) - rated it 1 star

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Every time I thought it cannot sink lower, there was something to correct my silly assumption. Like the Valiana thing (accused of going mad because of sexual intensity?! I mean I know it is stupid, but first you have to be stupid enough to EVEN THINK ABOUT SOMETHING AS STUPID AS THIS) I am sorry for caps but at this point I'd actually hurl the book across the room (I value my ipad so I didn't do it).

I Still don't understand what is the reason of 16 protracted initial chapters when the actual intrigue started in chapter 17.

message 13: by Bill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bill | 2130 comments The whole Valiana thing was so stupid. Falcio being her “dad” was dumb too the only interactions they have where he brings it up is when he is a macho dick to someone for her.