Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Magicians' Guild (Black Magician Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Magicians' Guild
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Magicians' Guild [Oct 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Oct 15th.

Bill | 2130 comments I’m going to be starting tonight. Anyone else started yet?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments I'm starting tonight. I haven't read it in years but I absolutely loved this series initially. It's not my favourite series from Trudi Canavan (that honour goes to The Age of the Five, my favourite series of all time) but it was super fun and it has one of my all time favourite characters.

I'm seriously looking forward to reading this again, like going to see an old friend.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments I'm 160 pages in, chapters 1-9 complete.
(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments Totally gonna stalk all the comments here to refresh my memory of this series. I loved it when I read it years ago! :D

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Siobhan it's so good, you should join us!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7579 comments I can't! I'm snowed under. Still got 4 books to finish!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments I started 2 new ones today, still reading two and got another 8 to start! All in 11 days!

Bill | 2130 comments Wow good luck. I am starting a buddy read of book 3 of the traitor son series on Monday and am only about halfway through a much needed reread of book 1.

I finished this book on Thursday. I liked it well enough but have read so many of these coming of age stories that I found this one a bit predictable. Even with that I found Sonea and friends really likable and was really rooting for them.

Chapter 1-9 (view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments I finished. Yes I had forgotten the story and no it didn't remind me what happened in the second book. Its probably because I didn't finish the series. (view spoiler) Can't wait for the next one!

Beste | 1163 comments Extra: This reminded me of another book that I loved at time but can't remember right now. Air Awakens.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments 406 pages in, I think Sonea is close to joining the guild. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Finished! Just as good as I remembered! I'm super excited for book 2 and more Akkarin!

message 14: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2130 comments The trial (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments I loved the trial too. Sonea is smart, I think she's going to be awesome when she's fully trained.

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "Finished! Just as good as I remembered! I'm super excited for book 2 and more Akkarin!"

I really don't want this to turn Alina and the Darkling!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Haha I read this series first but I always thought The Darkling reminded me of Akkarin. Akkarin is better though, so so much better!

message 18: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments Haha I read this series first but I always thought The Darkling reminded me of Akkarin. Akkarin is better though, so so much better! ]] YES! On all points. :D

Beste | 1163 comments I mean. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Beste wrote: "I mean. [spoilers removed]"

I was rooting for him to win too, Akkarin is one of my all time favourite characters!

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "Beste wrote: "I mean. [spoilers removed]"

I was rooting for him to win too, Akkarin is one of my all time favourite characters!"

You know how much this comment makes me want to learn the rest RIGHT NOW?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Beste wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Beste wrote: "I mean. [spoilers removed]"

I was rooting for him to win too, Akkarin is one of my all time favourite characters!"

You know how much this comment makes me want to le..."

I feel the same! I'm dying to pick up the next book but unfortunately I have a reading schedule to stick to. The anticipation is killing me!

Beste | 1163 comments Charlie wrote: "Beste wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Beste wrote: "I mean. [spoilers removed]"

You know how much this comment makes..."

HAhhahah yet you fuel it for me :)

What do you think of Lorlen?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments I like Lorlen a lot, I think he seems really earnest and trustworthy. I'm kind of gutted for him since he's found out that (view spoiler)

Beste | 1163 comments I feel (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Beste wrote: "I feel [spoilers removed]"

It's unfair that (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4430 comments Hey guys, did we arrange to read Novice and High Lord? I thought we did but I can't see the threads.