Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Title and blurb help for book 5

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Hi, everyone. Since you were a great help with book 4 in my Inspector Stone Mysteries, I'm hoping you will all be willing to help me again now that I am making progress with book 5.

I am looking for help with a blurb and with a title, both of which I am not very good with.

Synopsis

Nathan Stone is on holiday in Devon, where he is joined by his journalist friend, who wants to write a story about some wildcats in the area. While there the hotel owner's wife is murdered, and the next day a storm strikes, flooding the road and cutting the village off from the outside world.

Following a late night break-in to his room Nathan briefly becomes a suspect in the murder when the murder weapon is discovered amongst his belongings.

Before the internet and phone service is lost completely Stone is contacted by his superior and put in charge of the murder investigation as the only detective there.

Hotel owner's wife was having an affair and her lover is later also discovered murdered.

When the killer is identified they escape into the tail end of the storm before having to be rescued from the moors.

Title

I have been trying to establish a theme for the titles of my series, which I would like to continue, using familiar sayings or phrases, so far I have

Book 1 - Where There's A Will

Book 2 - An Eye For An Eye

Book 3 - A Perfect Pose

Book 4 - Into The Fire

Book 5 - ?????

I currently have the following possibilities for the title of book 5, but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

If You Go Into The Woods... (based on 'The Teddy Bear's Picnic')

Busman's Holiday

Working Holiday

A Woman Scorned

The Scorned Woman (I'm not sure about these last 2, they might be considered sexist in the modern climate)

Trapped With a Killer (seems a bit too obvious, and more suited to a horror/thriller rather than something that more closely resembles an Agatha Christie novel)

Murder at The Moor's Edge (the murder takes place in the woods surrounding the moor and the hotel is called The Moor's Edge)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions or advice.

Alex

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4603 comments Mod
A Stone's Throw?
Stone Dead
Blood from a Stone

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "A Stone's Throw?
Stone Dead
Blood from a Stone"

Ooh, I like A Stone's Throw, I can work a line into the book about the body being found 'a stone's throw' from the moor.

Wonderful suggestions, thanks.

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1139 comments Carole's are good because they cross the pond. I like Busman's Holiday because it brings a smile and a knowing nod from me and maybe others! But does the wider world use it?

Woman Scorned - does that give too much away?

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Carole's are good because they cross the pond. I like Busman's Holiday because it brings a smile and a knowing nod from me and maybe others! But does the wider world use it?

Woman Scorned - does t..."

That was my concern with Busman's Holiday, Anna. I suspect even many of the younger Brits won't be familiar with the term so I would potentially lose interest because of that.

Woman Scorned would probably let readers know that the killer is a woman before I want them to know that, but they might see it as the dead woman being the scorned woman.

I like the idea of using it because it's a well-known phrase, but for now I'll wait and see what other people think before coming to a decision. Plenty of time.

message 6: by Dale (last edited Jul 31, 2018 09:32AM) (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1734 comments Alex,

Scorned women are found in a number of other titles, so I wouldn't go with that merely to avoid confusion. Carol's suggestion of "A Stone's Throw" is good.

For a blurb, I threw this together as a first cut. Admittedly I don't know many of the details of the story, but if you think it fits maybe this can be a starting point:

Finding a dead body really ruins your holiday.

During a much-needed break in Devon, Inspector Nathan Stone discovers the hotel owner's wife [name] murdered. What's worse, the murder weapon is found in Nathan's room! When, adding insult to injury, a violent storm cuts off access to the village, he becomes both suspect and investigator, charged with ferreting out the truth. Then a second murder drives home a frightening fact: Nathan, the other guests, and the staff are sharing a roof with a hate-filled killer who will stop at nothing to exact revenge . . . and to prevent Inspector Stone from discovering the truth.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Dale wrote: "Alex,

Scorned women are found in a number of other titles, so I wouldn't go with that merely to avoid confusion. Carol's suggestion of "A Stone's Throw" is good.

For a blurb, I threw this togeth..."

That is a great starting point, Dale, thank you so much. It would require a bit of tweaking because Stone isn't the one that discovers the first body, but it gives me something to work with.

message 8: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I like A Stones Throw. You haven’t had one with him in the title yet.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments D.J. wrote: "I like A Stones Throw. You haven’t had one with him in the title yet."

That thought occurred to me when I saw Carole's suggestion, and I am now wishing I had themed the title's around his name, though that could have proved tricky.

Still, I now have another Nathan Stone book to write - Stone Cold, the idea for the title came to me, followed by the basics of a plot: a body is found frozen to death in winter, looks like a homeless person whose luck ran out, but the post-mortem reveals otherwise.

message 10: by Carole (new)

I like Blood from a Stone cause he struggling too.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "I like Blood from a Stone cause he struggling too."

Another great title, I may have to come up with a story for that one, something that involves Stone being hospitalised and either solving the case from his hospital bed or after returning to work.

message 12: by Carole (new)

sounds good.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "sounds good."

You, and everyone in this group, provide such inspiration, when it comes to publishing in general but also in coming up with new ideas (that I hope to someday find the time to write, lol)

message 14: by Carole (new)

and have fun while doing it!! lol

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Carole wrote: "and have fun while doing it!! lol"

Definitely, I always have fun writing.

message 16: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1734 comments Alex wrote: "That is a great starting point, Dale, thank you so much. It would require a bit of tweaking because Stone isn't the one that discovers the first body, but it gives me something to work with."

You're quite welcome. Here's a tweak to deal with that one issue:

During a much-needed break in Devon, Inspector Nathan Stone is forced back to work. The hotel owner's wife [name] is found murdered. Worse, the murder weapon is found in Nathan's room! Adding insult to injury, when a violent storm cuts off access to the village, he becomes both suspect and investigator, charged with ferreting out the truth. And then a second murder drives home a frightening fact: Nathan, the other guests, and the hotel staff are sharing a roof with a hate-filled killer who will stop at nothing to exact revenge . . . and to prevent Inspector Stone from discovering the truth.

message 17: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Thanks, Dale, that's brilliant, you're much better at this blurb writing lark than I am.

message 18: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1734 comments You're quite welcome, Alex. I've had some experience at it, and there are others here, I've noticed, who are very good at it too. Maybe some of them will chime in when they can.

message 19: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4626 comments Dale wrote: "You're quite welcome, Alex. I've had some experience at it, and there are others here, I've noticed, who are very good at it too. Maybe some of them will chime in when they can."

I'm sure between your offering and help from others I'll end up with something that really helps to sell the book.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread