Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

West with the Night > West With the Night: Book 2 (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 654 comments Mod
Discussion for chapters 5-10.

message 2: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments What great stories. And a great story teller. I will finish this one quickly, I think. If only half of what she describes is true, her life was amazing. And she tells it with such a light touch--the humour is perfectly blended.

message 3: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments I just finished Chapter VII (7), and it strained my credulity quite a bit. Taking a look at this website, (https://dietmartemps.com/travel-blog/...), I learn that Beryl's warrior companions were probably about 15 years old, and I am guessing that they were about her age. How could it happen that a white settler girl would be included in these "education of the warrior" hunts? Included in the holy ceremony before they set out? She must have become some sort of "honorary man", but how?

message 4: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 1129 comments Mod
Ginny wrote: "I just finished Chapter VII (7), and it strained my credulity quite a bit. Taking a look at this website, (https://dietmartemps.com/travel-blog/......"

There had to be some sort of trade between the warriors and the white settlers that was important enough to them to allow Beryl to come along?

message 5: by Charlene (new)

I guess I didn't realize that the two hunters were so close in age to Beryl during that hunt. I would have guess around 25-ish especially since the lead one was calling her a child.

message 6: by Ginny (new)

Ginny (burmisgal) | 190 comments Charlene wrote: "I guess I didn't realize that the two hunters were so close in age to Beryl during that hunt. I would have guess around 25-ish especially since the lead one was calling her a child."

I think I was wrong there. Later events demonstrate that Arab Maina was at least 25--maybe older. Still puzzling. Perhaps one of the biographies goes into this more.

message 7: by Charlene (new)

Ginny wrote: "Charlene wrote: "I guess I didn't realize that the two hunters were so close in age to Beryl during that hunt. I would have guess around 25-ish especially since the lead one was calling her a child..."

Time does get a bit blurred in the book. When Beryl references beginning of World War 1 is the only hard reference I have seen in the book so far. At that it does seem sort of a brief reference. I am not sure if that is because the effects of the war were not felt in Africa as much or not.

message 8: by Suzann (new)

Suzann | 63 comments Beru seems to love the land and the life she shares with the tribal children. What an amazing sense of freedom the hands-off child rearing of her parents allowed her!

message 9: by Suzann (new)

Suzann | 63 comments Markham imparts to the land and nature human thoughts and feelings. They're the thoughts and feelings of a kind human. I wonder if her feelings for the land and nature aren't as strong as any she has for family or friends.

message 10: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Charlene wrote: "Ginny wrote: "I just finished Chapter VII (7), and it strained my credulity quite a bit. Taking a look at this website, (https://dietmartemps.com/travel-blog/......"

Perhaps this was it. Since she was a child she most likely wouldn't have paid much attention to the circumstances like that. Or maybe they just really liked her family?

message 11: by Charlene (new)

Suzann wrote: "Beru seems to love the land and the life she shares with the tribal children. What an amazing sense of freedom the hands-off child rearing of her parents allowed her!"

Straight on Till Morning: A Biography of Beryl Markham had a quote from a school mate that mentioned that mothers viewed children going to the bush with Africans like nannies taking kids to Covent Gardens. Their assumption is that the kids will be safe.

Not something I would automatically think.

message 12: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Charlene wrote: "Suzann wrote: "Beru seems to love the land and the life she shares with the tribal children. What an amazing sense of freedom the hands-off child rearing of her parents allowed her!"

[book:Straigh..."

Me neither. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Or maybe they have a lot more faith in the Africans' ability to protect their children lol