Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard, #2)
This topic is about Shakespeare's Champion
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Harris, Charlaine - Shakespeare's Champion (Lily Bard #2) - Informal buddy read starting August 3rd, 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 30, 2018 02:09PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Shakespeare's Champion by Charlaine Harris

Synopsis
There's something rotten in Shakespeare... — Lily Bard was running from shattering memories when she moved to Shakespeare, Arkansas. Now cleaning houses pays her bills. Working out helps her heal. Still protecting her scars, she hides a hard body and impressive skill at martial arts under baggy sweats. And nobody knows how strong she is until racial violence has her looking behind closed doors for a killer -- doors to which a housecleaner might have the key.

When Lily uses her training in goju to help a black man jumped by white teens, she does it for justice...only to hear he's been abducted and beaten to death a few weeks later. Then a bodybuilder is killed at her gym. Both incidents jar Lily's need for security and refuge. Looking into closets, sweeping under rugs, she soon uncovers enough dirt to confirm that something sinister is growing in her adopted town. Getting involved could endanger her life. But Lily is seeing a new man and dreaming new dreams. And no one can make this strong woman run again.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 698 comments I will try to squeeze this one in. I think I might have a copy on my shelf.

Deanna | 2737 comments I'm looking forward to this.

Keli | 671 comments Me too. I get my copy tomorrow. So happy it came in at the library on time. Shakespeare's Landlord was by far my fave C Harris book so far, got high hopes for this one.

Deanna | 2737 comments Finished chapters 1 - 4 this evening.

Lily - (view spoiler)

The murder - (view spoiler)

The detective - (view spoiler)

Keli | 671 comments I completely agree about Lily seeming to open up in the first book but I quite like that she is finding it hard to adjust. After all, it seems Marshall was her first real intimate relationship, however loosely defined, since her assault. I think it would take a lot to committ, cos relationships are about sharing and Lily needs control.

As a southerner, I have always thought that Ms Harris's writing about race was rather accurate and honest. She doesn't try and gloss over it. Or make it any less ugly or complex. It's strange to think that Del for example was a decent guy but didn't like blacks. But that's the south. I grew up in Austin which was wonderfully liberal and large enough that I wasn't faced with it on a regular basis. I've been called everything under the sun and have been in some scary situations, where I felt truly unsafe cos I'm brown. But mostly, it was something one is always aware of but usually doesn't impede in daily life. But there are things that one just needs to be aware of or take precautionary measures against for safety. For example, friends and I would occassionally drive to New Orleans. We'd ALWAYS make sure to fill up completely in Beaumont cos the towns between Beaumont & NO weren't always safe for brown people. I made sure I always stayed just under the speed limit, always signalled and didn't do anything that would give cause to pull me over. It might not have been as dangerous as we assumed but we certainly weren't going to take the chance on whether those people, inc cops, were in good moods or not. Because if they weren't, at best, we'd likely end up with a confiscated car or cash, which was quite common, or at worst, like James Byrd.

Keli | 671 comments I've finished and I really like these. I was so caught up in the story, I didn't really think about who the killer was though I knew that (view spoiler)
I also like that Lily is human. She makes mistakes, isn't super powerful, even though she's buff, and actually has to recover from injury.
The only thing that does bother me is (view spoiler)
I'm going to order book three tonight.

Deanna | 2737 comments Finished yesterday!

The ring - (view spoiler)

Jack - (view spoiler)

Bobo - (view spoiler)

message 11: by Keli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keli | 671 comments Do you think you'll carry on with the series?

Deanna | 2737 comments Keli wrote: "Do you think you'll carry on with the series?"

Yes, I already picked up the next book in the series. Do you want to keep Buddy Reading? We could probably just PM back and forth since it's only the two of us if you want. What do your think?