Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab, #4)
This topic is about Shadow's Bane
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Chance, Karen - Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab #4) - Informal buddy read starting August 13th, 2018

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Shadow's Bane by Karen Chance

Synopsis
Half-human, half-vampire Dorina Basarab is back--and facing her biggest challenge yet in the next urban fantasy in the New York Times bestselling series.

Dorina Basarab is a dhampir--half-human, half-vampire. As one of the Vampire Senate's newest members, Dory already has a lot on her plate. But then a relative of one of Dory's fey friends goes missing. They fear he's been sold to a slaver who arranges fights--sometimes to the death--between different types of fey.

As Dory investigates, she and her friends learn the slavers are into something much bigger than a fight club. With the Vampire Senate gearing up for war with Faerie, it'll take everything she has to defeat the slavers--and deal with the entirely too attractive master vampire Louis-Cesare....

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Eldarwen | 9862 comments Mod
Ora, would you prefer to start this after Quidditch is over so you don't have to worry about squeezing it in?

message 5: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Yes. That would be great!

message 6: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Let me know when you are ready. Since it's not on audio, I will be reading only in the evenings so it will take a couple of days. I don't want to speed read for awhile.

message 7: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Can't imagine why ;-)

How about starting on Sunday?

I'll be juggling a few books so I'm not going to read this super speedy either, not that I ever really do haha.

I finished Ride the Storm last weekend and I'm actually quite glad that there's been a week between finishing it and starting this instead of diving right in. The beginning was so slow! I like detailed action scenes but Karen Chance has started turning it into an art-form to drag them out into the impossible. The book did pick up at some point though and it was great to finally have a little more confirmation on Mircea's motivation behind the way he was pampering Cassie since she was a young girl.

message 8: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Sunday sounds good. I should have more time to sit and read that day too.
Yes it was. I do like Cassie, but I find I am drawn more to Dorina's book. Maybe because she is a more kickass heroine (at least I think so).

message 9: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Dory is definitely more kick-ass than Cassie! But I enjoy the overall plot more in the Cassie books as there are more fun characters involved and more world building - at least that's how I remember it. It's been a while since I read the last Dory book.

message 10: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I love the characters at the hotel.

I won't be able to start until late afternoon/evening. Yesterday I remembered I have my son's white coat ceremony, so I will be gone most of the day. I am hoping to do some in the car, but not sure how much I will.

message 11: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Another challenge got in the way, so I'm reading a different book first. I'm definitely not going to be able to start this today. So if you don't have time to get to this, just as well hehe.

Have fun at the ceremony!

What is a white coat ceremony?

message 12: by Ora (last edited Aug 20, 2018 06:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I know the feeling. I didn't get to start yesterday either.

My son is starting his first year in pharmacy school and received his jacket. Didn't know there was one until a couple of months ago. Apparently all medical students have them before starting their first year.

message 13: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Ah cool, I have never heard of that before but seems like a fun way to start those studies!

message 14: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I finally was able to start. The end of chapter made me smile and laugh imagining it. (view spoiler) I love how sweet he can be when it comes to her.

message 15: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Uuuh that makes me itch to start!!

Will try and pick it up tonight :-) Have now arrived at work and grabbed another one of my ongoing reads when I left the house.

message 16: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) I haven't gotten that far into it. Unfortunately RL didn't let me read as much as I wanted to. I only got to chapter 5.

message 17: by Ora (last edited Aug 21, 2018 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) RL is continuing to suck for me. I REALLY wanted to read more than I was able to today. I can't believe I am only at 11%.

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

That's good for me haha!!

Because I haven't started yet. :-(
Finished up another book for another challenge last night and brought another current read to work with me. I felt bad starting yet another book before I didn't have at least a couple done...

And then there's the maze ;-)

message 19: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Yes, the maze. I will be so happy when we complete it :)

I only got to 17% today. I really wish I could just sit and read this one all day without RL interfering.

message 20: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

That would be nice!

If I can't get to this soon, I'll sit down and read for a few hours this weekend to finally get into it - and hopefully a little more than just 10% hehe.

message 21: by Ora (last edited Aug 23, 2018 05:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Just want to make sure I don’t forget about this OMG moment. Chapter 13 (view spoiler)

message 22: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Ok so this did not go as planned at all haha.

I'm finishing up Everland (which I also didn't manage to finish for TT) and then I'll finally, finally dive into this one!

Though I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't keep it for SoS Bingo ;-)

Have you continued with it? Finished it?

message 23: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) Yes I have finished. I loved it, especially when I was able to an entire evening without getting interrupted.

This would be a good one for SoS Bingo. This is one of the series I added to the new shelves that it will work for.

I meant to read Everland too. I have had it checked out on hoopla for a couple of weeks. It probably due back any day now.

message 24: by Eldarwen (new) - added it

Good to know!

Well, since you've finished it, I'll keep it for SoS Bingo then. :-) I can still drop here and comment though once I start reading it, if you want? Then we can still talk about it, even though we're reading it weeks apart hehe.

Everland is quite good. There are times where it irks me but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but on a whole I like it. The setting is great and it's truer to the spirit of Peter Pan than I expected.

message 25: by Ora (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ora (oeamis) That sounds good!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shadow's Bane (other topics)
Ride the Storm (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Chance (other topics)