Obsessed with True Crime discussion

The Crate: A Story Of War, A Murder, And Justice
This topic is about The Crate
True Crime Published 2018 > The Crate: A Story Of War, A Murder, And Justice

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jul 30, 2018 12:33PM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3358 comments Mod
"Evocative, and inspiring ... So much more than a true crime." - Steve Jackson, New York Times bestselling author of NO STONE UNTURNED

After surviving the horrors of the Holocaust – in ghettos, on death marches, and in concentration camps – a young couple seeks refuge in Canada. They settle into a new life, certain that the terrors of their past are behind them. They build themselves a cozy little cottage on a lake in Muskoka, a cottage that becomes emblematic of their victory over the Nazis. The charming retreat is a safe haven, a refuge from haunted memories.

That is, until a single act of unspeakable violence defiles their sanctuary. Poking around the dark crawl space beneath their cottage, they discover a wooden crate, nailed tightly shut and almost hidden from view. Nothing could have prepared them for the horror of the crate’s contents – or how the peace and tranquility of their lives would be shattered.

Paperback, 358 pages

Published May 11th 2018 by WildBlue Press

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Looks very interesting. Just added it on kindle.

C.L.Swinney

message 3: by K.A. (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:52PM) (new) - added it

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1266 comments Sounds intriguing, maybe something on the order of The Lampshade: A Holocaust Detective Story from Buchenwald to New Orleans

message 5: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Aug 03, 2018 11:35AM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3358 comments Mod
Fishface wrote: "The book description puts me in mind of Family Skeleton: A Brother and Sister's Journey from Murder to Truth or maybe The Unicorn's Secret..."

I was binge watching "Cold Justice" and one of the cases was of a body found in a Rubbermaid container in a man's shed.

message 6: by Fishface (new) - added it

Fishface | 12072 comments I also just downloaded this one. I very much look forward to it!

message 7: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Levison (deborahlevison) | 10 comments Thank you to everyone who is reading The Crate! Looking forward to your thoughts...

message 8: by Fishface (new) - added it

Fishface | 12072 comments Reading this now. VERY hard to put down. I love the way the book contrasts an utterly normal life in Ontario (which is far more normal than an utterly normal life in Michigan) with the horrific events of the Holocaust and the body turning up in the middle of it all.

It's not at all what I was expecting. I was totally expecting more of a Sadako Yamamura scenario, with the ugly secret waiting there all along for someone to come and find it.