English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > August 2018 read-along

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4308 comments Mod
August has a lot of books to read, so well start with (1-7) the first book called Sweden Sweden by Matthew Turner by Matthew Turner Matthew Turner published August 1, 2018. Sweden. 2) The second book is Derailed Derailed (Maria Kallio #10) by Leena Lehtolainen by Leena Lehtolainen Leena Lehtolainen published August 7, 2018. Finland. 3) Narrator Narrator by Bragi Ólafsson by Bragi Ólafsson Bragi Ólafsson published on August 14, 2018. Iceland. 4) The Sea Queen The Sea Queen (The Half-Drowned King #2) by Linnea Hartsuyker by Linnea Hartsuyker Published on August 14, 2018. Norway. 5) Northern Light Northern Light (PolarPol #1) by Christoffer Petersen by Christoffer Petersen Christoffer Petersen published on August 17, 2018. Denmark (Iceland) 6) Summer Summer by Karl Ove Knausgård by Karl Ove Knausgård Karl Ove Knausgård published August 21, 2018. Norway. 7) Trap Trap (Reykjavik Noir) by Lilja Sigurðardóttir by Lilja Sigurðardóttir Lilja Sigurðardóttir to be published August 31, 2018. Iceland. As always we will add books as they become know to us. Good reading.

message 2: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I've read "Derailed" and "Summer" if you want comments.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (auntpie) | 23 comments Yes, comments please!

message 4: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Aug 04, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Derailed
This installment of a Maria Kallio book lead us to what Maria was looking for in working with her friend Leena, then an accident complicated this and she ended up working for the Ministry of the Interior as a scientific researcher. As a researcher she was studying clients through the police and social services who were victimized by others. While this was happening she was asked by her former employers to take the lead in an investigation at the violent crime unit because her replacement there was going to have triplets. She couldn't refuse because her contract with the Ministry of the Interior stipulated that they could do this. She was introduced to Jutta by her friend Leena, who was in a wheelchair, and became involved in Jutta's accident she had with Toni Väärä, a runner, several months earlier. Through this accident Maria met several people who complicated things with the death of Pentti Vainikainen, who was the Head of Social Affairs for the Finnish Athletics Federation. Finding his killer was her main responsibility working for the violent crimes unit. We won't tell the story but let's say there was another person murdered in finding out who the killer was. Everybody knows everybody in the sports world. Leena Lehtolainen establishes a very intense and thrilling book that brings Maria 360 degrees in her telling of the story. I gave it 4 ut of 5 stars and recommend that you read it.
Summer
This was a 180 degree turn for me to read as I read Karl's take on the philosophy of life he's lead so far. It was filled with his 4 children and other miscellaneous items such as bats, bicycles, god, and other items. He described many things using larger words that I used the Kindle's dictionary quite often. I am a two time stroke victim and the larger the words, even if I knew them before my strokes, needed to be looked up. We had many similar things happen such as his son was stung by three ground wasps. My son had a similar thing happen where he ran out into the street to get away from the ground wasps. He was stung a lot more than 3 times. I liked when he talked about poets and will look them up as soon as I can. This was quite a change of menu for me and I was surprised how are beliefs are quite similar. I enjoyed his book because it was quite a challenge for me. I know I will find myself thinking of this book a lot longer then the mystery books that I normally read.

message 5: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2424 comments Mod
Ken wrote: "Derailed
This installment of a Maria Kallio book lead us to what Maria was looking for in working with her friend Leena, then an accident complicated this and she ended up working f..."

Only read one Leena Lehtolainen. Finland series books. Nr 2. Kindle back in 2013. Still no English iBooks but all on iBooks audiobooks...should try audiobooks I suppose. Derailed sounds good.

message 6: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Aug 07, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

The Katharina Code: The Cold Case Quartet, Book 1 The Katharina Code The Cold Case Quartet, Book 1 by Jørn Lier Horst by Jørn Lier Horst Jørn Lier Horst will be published August 8, 2018. Norway.

message 7: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Viking Bones Viking Bones (Descendants Saga Book 5) by Jerrry Autieri by Jerrry Autieri was published August 2, 2018.

message 8: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Peter F Damsberg has a book published August 21, 2018 called "The Arcturus Code". Norway. On Amazon but not Goodreads.