Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal/UF recommendations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Callypso.23 (last edited Jul 30, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Callypso.23 | 4 comments Hello y'all ! I've read Kate Daniels series and Fever series and I'm IN LOVE with them both. So now I'm looking for something similar, kick-ass witty heroine with hot alpha male and slow romance

PS: I've already read The Hidden Legacy series ( AWESOME) and the Night Huntress series ( I didn't like them at all)

message 3: by Callypso.23 (new)

Callypso.23 | 4 comments Brandy wrote: "My recommendations:

Born in Fire
Natural Witch
Elusion
Cadence of Ciar
Sterling
Keystone
[book:Fight..."

I'll check them out! Thank you for your help

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Have you read the Patricia Briggs series Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega? The 2 series are set in the same world and there is a bit of back and forth in that something that happened in one will have an impact on the next book in the other series. Moon Called is the first Mercybook while Alpha & Omega is a short story that starts the other series. Read the Mercy book first, then the short story. Check Ms. Briggs web site for the correct order to read the books in. I started way back when, and just read them as they came out, but I do suggest to new readers that they check Ms. Briggs suggestion before starting.

message 5: by Nancy D Miz-Firefly aka Sparky (last edited Jul 31, 2018 12:07PM) (new)

Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky   (miz-firefly) | 4 comments Kick-ass female leads with slow romance elements

Royal Street (Sentinels of New Orleans, #1) by Suzanne Johnson Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1) by Kelly Meding Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance Owl and the Japanese Circus (Adventures of Owl, #1) by Kristi Charish Justice Calling (The Twenty-Sided Sorceress, #1) by Annie Bellet

Strong secondary kickass female
Hidden Blade (Soul Eater, #1) by Pippa DaCosta Modern Sorcery (Jonathan Shade, #1) by Gary Jonas

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jul 31, 2018 04:39PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
If you want a series that never seems to end, might I suggest Kylie Chan's Dark Heavens series? It's a trilogy that goes into a second trilogy which goes into a third trilogy. And we aren't talking thin books either--I think each book is about 500 pages long. . . The h starts out as the nanny/governess/tutor for the daughter of a very rich and powerful Chinese businessman in modern day Hong Kong.

A romance eventually develops between the two. But it's slow moving and very interesting. You quickly (well, relatively speaking for this series) discover that Daddy is actually a Chinese God.

The series was interesting and, even as fast a reader as I am, took me weeks to finish.

The first book is White Tiger

message 7: by Callypso.23 (new)

Callypso.23 | 4 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Have you read the Patricia Briggs series Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega? The 2 series are set in the same world and there is a bit of back and forth in that something that happen..."

Hey there ! I've read Mercy Thompson series ( I found the heroine a bit irritating tbh) but not Alpha and Omega. I thought the latter was a spin-off the first. Is it better than Mercy Thompson series?

message 8: by Callypso.23 (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Callypso.23 | 4 comments Nancy D Miz-Firefly aka Sparky (Paranormal Junkie) wrote: "Kick-ass female leads with slow romance elements

Royal Street (Sentinels of New Orleans, #1) by Suzanne Johnson Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1) by Kelly Meding Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1) by Karen Chance [bookcover:Owl and the Japanese Ci..."

I'm currently reading Midnight daughter. I'll check the other series that you recommand. Thank you

message 9: by Nancy D Miz-Firefly aka Sparky (last edited Aug 01, 2018 05:19PM) (new)

Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky   (miz-firefly) | 4 comments Callypso.23 wrote "I've read Mercy Thompson series ( I found the heroine a bit irritating tbh) but not Alpha and Omega. I thought the latter was a spin-off the first. Is it better than Mercy Thompson series?"

I don't know if it's a spin-off or an addition. They sort of stair step each other, covering sort of the same time frame with different focuses and little crossover. Bran is pretty much the only character we see in both series.

Most people prefer one over the other. It depends on what you want from a character. They are almost polar opposites, right down to their origin story.

Mercy was born a walker and raised by werewolves. She is confident in herself and sure of her place. She doesn't need anybody to make herself feel whole. Anna was forcibly turned, and abused. She has confidence issues, and low self esteem, and there have been many - many times I wanted to smack her silly.

I prefer Mercy, she is independent and good hearted. Plus I like the dynamic between her and Adam. Anna's relationship with Charles irritates me. She can't bring herself to share things with Charles that he needs to hear. It's like High School. YA makes my teeth ache.

message 10: by CB (new)

CB (cb33) | 83 comments I'll add two more to the recommendations list:

I literally laugh out loud at the escapades of Sam, who's a demon imp, in the Imp Series by Debra Dunbar. Slooow burn romance indeed in this one, but I like how it's been developing. The first book is currently free on Amazon.
A Demon Bound (Imp, #1) by Debra Dunbar

And I absolutely loved the Sensor Series by Susan Illene, and the heroine is most certainly kick-ass. This is a complete series.
Darkness Haunts (The Sensor, #1) by Susan Illene

Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky   (miz-firefly) | 4 comments OOooh, I liked A Demon Bound. The book just sucked me right in. which is pretty funny because I did not like the main character (at all) but I could not stop reading.

message 12: by April (new)

April | 41 comments I have read both and in my opinion m
Mercy has confidence. Anna is still finding her way.
You might want to consider the Anita Blake series by l. K. Hamilton.

message 13: by T.M. (new)

T.M. Hart | 20 comments Yas! Love the Fever Series! (And not so hot on the Night Huntress.) Sorry, I know this is deviating from what you're asking for, but if you want to switch things up a bit here and there, another series I loved is Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark. And idk if you listen to audiobooks at all, but the narrator, Robert Petkoff, does such a great job with the male characters. OMG, shivers! (Although I will say the very first lead in book 1 is timid, but some of the subsequent books have witty/sassy/fun/kick-ass leads.)

message 14: by Hilary (new)

Hilary Bunlert | 4 comments I would suggest Dannika Dark's Mageri series or Crossbreed series. And Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson series.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 367 comments I second Riley Jenson, and I'll also give you Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk , Dark Currents (Agent of Hel, #1) by Jacqueline Carey , Diaries of an Urban Panther (Diaries of an Urban Panther #1) by Amanda Arista ,