The Long Overdue Book Club discussion

Where'd You Go, Bernadette
This topic is about Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Seventh Book!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole | 27 comments Mod
Can you believe it? We're already on to the seventh book! Time flies when you're discussing books, eh?

This time around, we'll be tackling Where'd You Go, Bernadette. Goodreads has the following summary available:

"Bernadette Fox is notorious. To her Microsoft-guru husband, she's a fearlessly opinionated partner; to fellow private-school mothers in Seattle, she's a disgrace; to design mavens, she's a revolutionary architect, and to 15-year-old Bee, she is a best friend and, simply, Mom.

Then Bernadette disappears. It began when Bee aced her report card and claimed her promised reward: a family trip to Antarctica. But Bernadette's intensifying allergy to Seattle - and people in general - has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands. A trip to the end of the earth is problematic.

To find her mother, Bee compiles email messages, official documents, secret correspondence - creating a compulsively readable and touching novel about misplaced genius and a mother and daughter's role in an absurd world."

I've started this title, and have found it pretty funny so far. These characters are very relatable, and you find yourself understanding each side's perspective, demonstrating how things can get so out of hand over misunderstandings (at least that's my current impression). I hope everyone enjoys this book!

Janice Treat snow | 16 comments I've never heard of it. Which means I can count it as "a book you heard about online" for the summer reading challenge. Woo hoo! :)

Nicole | 27 comments Mod
Win-Win! We'll take that!

Nicole | 27 comments Mod
For those who haven't made it too far in, warning, spoiler alerts ahead!

Not sure about everyone else, but I found the ending rather predictable, although the story itself was not one that I was expecting. (Hello, your wife goes missing and you get another woman pregnant? WHAT?) I didn't expect the daughter to take the turn that she did either, suddenly careless at school and all. Although your mother going missing would certainly be a difficult to handle, school could also be an escape from her predicament in a sense. Don't get me wrong, I think that overall it was a pleasant book and I enjoyed it, but there are some changes I wish to make as is so often the case when I read fiction books. Maybe that's why I am more of a non-fiction reader?

Any thoughts?

message 5: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Geist | 20 comments A good read. Sort of a Gilmore girls relationship between mom and daughter. Some pretty terrifying insights into the human condition, especially concerning society's mistrust and disdain for outsiders and non-conformists. Perfectly set at Microsoft, bastion of new world order propaganda. Am I reading too much into this? Maybe. Oh well, enjoyed the book and beginning to enjoy this style of writing.