CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Threads > Week 31- Sand, Sand Everywhere

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 697 comments Mod
I've been slowly working on inventorying my books over the last couple of months. I'm one of those weird people who are a bit protective over their books and don't like them to have creases, bent pages, etc. So I've been checking on their condition in the process.

It got me thinking- here at the library, I see all kinds of damage to books from water to food to substances better left unidentified. One of the most insidious is sand! Once sand gets into the plastic cover of a book, it never comes out. Which of course begs the question of how it got in there in the first place. One day I will solve this mystery.

Do you have any "oops" stories about your books? I actually have a graphic novel that I love that got left in a car with open windows during a rain storm. Oops! It survived and I dried it out, but of course it's nice and crinkly now. I never replaced it which is odd for me but I do love that water damaged book.

Tell us your "oops" story!

message 2: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 61 comments Similar to your story I purchased two new graphic novels at a comic shop and placed them in the back of my car. At some point I didn't realize a water bottle back there tipped over and leaked all over the backseat. I eventually had to replace mine since I was unable to separate the pages. :(

I'm not too surprised by sand. Being Hampton Roads I imagine so many people must bring books to the beach. I'll have to keep in mind if I ever decide to go to the beach to keep my library books at home.

message 3: by J (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
I bought a new book and a 20oz diet Dr Pepper..... took one sip of the soda - put the lid on and put it in the bag with the book - when I got home 5 minutes later the book was soaked and brown 😒 - I spent two hours with the hair dryer drying the book up read the whole thing that night then tossed the book in the trash..... I was sad that I had to throw it out but glad I was able to read it first

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (morwesong) | 47 comments When I was a kid, I used to read in the bathtub. All was well until I inevitably dropped a book into the water. It was a library book, of course, so my mother and I frantically tried to dry it out before it warped and wrinkled. If memory serves me correctly, I believe we even put it in the toaster oven on low heat for a few minutes. Once it was dry, we put weight on it so it wouldn't wrinkle. Amazingly, we were successful. (Although, now that I am a librarian, I think back to that and hope it didn't get moldy once returned!)