The BookBum Club {HIATUS} discussion

AUGUST 2018 THEME > August 2018 Theme: IT'S THE SOUND OF THE POLICE!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zuky (last edited Jul 30, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 107 comments Mod
Hello bookish friends!

I hope you're all having a lovely day, thank you for taking a moment to visit the BookBum Club today! It's school holiday season, I hope lots of you are enjoying time off... and if you're not... are enjoying the emptier roads in the morning, like me ;-)

Let's move on to this months theme...

THE THEME FOR AUGUST IS: IT'S THE SOUND OF THE POLICE!

It's the month for crime... read a crime book, whether it's fiction or non-fiction!

Crime is one of the most beloved genres in the reading world, so why not join in on the reading love and dive into a crime book this month!

~

I'll be reading:

LoveMurder (Valerie Hart, #2) by Saul Black

LoveMurder by Saul Black

This is the second book in the Valerie Hart series, which I only started the other month with The Killing Lessons. I instantly bought book #2 after finishing because I needed to read more of Saul Black's work! I'm really looking forward to it, I hope I enjoy it as much as I did the first.

~

Let us all know what crime book you'll be delving into this month!

ALSO! To celebrate reaching 300 members in the club, I'm hosting a GIVEAWAY! Anyone who reads and reviews a book for this theme, and then posts their review link in the August Review Thread (find that here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...) will be entered to win a £10 Wordery order!

The winner will be picked at random at the end of the month. Only one entry per person (even if you leave more than 1 review!) This is in no way affiliated with Goodreads or Wordery.

Happy reading folks x

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) I think that UNSUB by Megan Gardiner will work for this prompt. I don’t read a whole lot of crime novels so I struggled to pick something to read. I will be listening to the audiobook of this one.

message 3: by Jamie-Lee (new)

Jamie-Lee (jlkfraser) | 17 comments Hi!

I missed July but I am back for August!

I love crime books and I have been meaning to read I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara for a while now. So there you go, that's my pick!

message 4: by Lawona (new)

Lawona (hlawona) Hi!!

I am to eager to start this months read. Ill be reading Too Close For Comfort: A gripping British crime... by Adam Croft.

message 6: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked I’ve read this book twice, but it is just so ridiculous I have to read it for this! Without Mercy by Gary Provost.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex It's...it's like Detective Zuky looked into my soul and saw my guilt - over all those free crime novels lurking in my TBR list! Let's make my official book choice Blood Orchids by Toby Neal, but there's plenty more once that one's read. I may even have to restrict myself to just those with police protagonists...

message 8: by Hafsa | حفصہ (last edited Jul 30, 2018 12:18PM) (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments Would The Woman in the Window count as a crime book? Besides that one, I literally have nothing crime-related on my already packed TBR for august because of the Booktubeathon and N.E.W.T.S readathon!

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) Hafsa wrote: "Would The Woman in the Window count as a crime book? Besides that one, I literally have nothing crime-related on my already packed TBR for august because of the Booktubeathon and N...."

I picked UNSUB by Megan Gardiner and I'm not sure if it counts. I don't usually read crime novels.

message 10: by Zuky (new)

UNSUB and The Woman in the Window both definitely count!! Enjoy your reading x

Misty's Book Space (mistysbookspace) Zuky wrote: "UNSUB and The Woman in the Window both definitely count!! Enjoy your reading x"

Oh yay I am glad cause I've really been wanting to read UNSUB.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Chinnici (nicole-chinnici) | 14 comments This theme is right up my alley! I'll be reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle. :-)

message 13: by Hafsa | حفصہ (new)

Hafsa | حفصہ (vibingwithabook) | 20 comments Zuky wrote: "UNSUB and The Woman in the Window both definitely count!! Enjoy your reading x"

YAY! Looking forward to finishing that giant of a book then!

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts (bookmarkyourthoughts) | 20 comments Does Six of Crows count?

message 15: by Zuky (new)

Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts wrote: "Does Six of Crows count?"

I'd count that book more as fantasy than crime personally, but I'm not 100% sure as I haven't read it! :-)

message 16: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 16 comments My choice for this month is The Day I Died by Lori Rader-Day The Day I Died

message 17: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (goodreadscomwhatcathyreadnext) | 40 comments I'll confess my heart leaps when, like this month, Zuky chooses a theme that fits a book I already need to read in August!
I'll be reading In the Blood by Ruth Mancini.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments I'll be rereading- And Then There Were None- a favorite, by A Christie, and City of the Lost- a new author and series for me- by Kelley Armstrong

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate A (kate_everywhere) | 7 comments I'm going to try and get to The Fourth Monkey by J.D Barker I've had it on my shelf for ages and really want to get stuck in.

message 20: by Zuky (new)

Kate wrote: "I'm going to try and get to The Fourth Monkey by J.D Barker I've had it on my shelf for ages and really want to get stuck in."

Oo, good pick! I hope you enjoy it :-)

message 21: by Tara (new)

Tara Million I'm going to read Still Life by Louise Penny. It's the first one of a series and I've heard good things about it, so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

message 22: by Sue (new)

Sue  (oldersbl) | 43 comments Tara wrote: "I'm going to read Still Life by Louise Penny. It's the first one of a series and I've heard good things about it, so I'm looking forward to trying it out."

I liked the first book, but really loved the later books especially, Beautiful Mystery and Glass Houses- wow can Louise Penny write and create a complex set of characters, a terrific plot and many twists and turns in a small town in Canada. My choice City of the Lost is also set in Canada.

message 23: by Ali (new)

Ali (the_sunday_feeling) | 16 comments I'm back in the reading game and this is my type of genre so I will defo be taking part. I will have to have a think about what I plan to read as I don't have a specific TBR for August and I want to just pick up whatever im feeling at the time.
Great theme Zuky and I look forward to reading some reviews!!

message 24: by Tara (new)

Tara Million Sue wrote: "Tara wrote: "I'm going to read Still Life by Louise Penny. It's the first one of a series and I've heard good things about it, so I'm looking forward to trying it out...."

Glad to hear that you liked Louise Penny. I've heard so many good things about her and Inspector Gamache, plus as a Canadian I love that it's set in small town Canada. You've made me even more excited to try reading her...and if it turns out to be my cup of tea, then I'll have a ton of other books to read in the series!

message 25: by Magical_Bookworm (new)

Magical_Bookworm | 26 comments I will be reading Jackaby by William Ritter. I've heard it's Sherlock meets Doctor Who. It's a murder mystery set in 1892 New England. And the first in a series.

message 26: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 11 comments Does Before The Fall qualify as crime? That's my read for this month.

message 27: by Nicki (new)

Nicki | 13 comments Perfect as I'm already buddy reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle :-)

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Chinnici (nicole-chinnici) | 14 comments Nicki wrote: "Perfect as I'm already buddy reading The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle :-)"

I just finished reading that for this prompt! What do you think of it so far?

message 29: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Teixeira | 3 comments Ah perfect theme, I've been in a crime/thriller mood for months! 😄
I'm planning to either read Macbeth by Jo Nesbø or The Killing Forest by Sara Blædel 🙌🏼

message 30: by Zuky (new)

Alejandrina wrote: "Does Before The Fall qualify as crime? That's my read for this month."

Sorry for the late reply! Yes, I'll allow that, especially as I want to read it so will look forward to seeing your review! :-)

message 31: by BAM (new)

BAM Endlessly Booked Ive read a ton of crime this month with a few more stil to read. I'll let you know what I pick!

George (Fueltheblog) (fueltheblog) | 5 comments Now I am 'sort of' back on my reading game I'm excited to get stuck into the theme this month and will have to look at my book collection for a title! I love a crime book though so shouldn't be too hard...she says! Thanks Zuky! X

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna I've only just joined this group and love the idea of choosing your own book to fit the Theme. Also interesting to see what others pick. I'm reading The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien which is set in Ireland, involves a murder and a police station and is very quirky apparently.

message 34: by Shainlock (new)

Shainlock (shainlockholmes) I’m reading /have read Darcy Coates Hunted and I also will squeeze in an Agatha Christie.

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma Shaw (emmasbibliotreasures) | 5 comments I've read Broken Dolls by Sarah Flint for this month's theme

message 36: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I read Gallows View by Peter Robinson, which is the 1st book in the Inspector Banks series. It was a quick read and I really enjoyed it :)

message 37: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Teixeira | 3 comments I read Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge. Currently working on my review :D

message 38: by Caroline Vincent (new)

Caroline Vincent (carolinevincent) | 1 comments I've read and reviewed Malcolm Hollingdrake's The Third Breath, the 7th book in the DCI Bennett series, set in Harrogate. Love it!